Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (+2)  
Okay: My honest opinion, NiroZ. In your mission to prove how mature you are, since you don't care about points, I think you might just prove the oposite. Why do you want to force everybody else to know that you don't care about points? Isn't it enough that you know it? To knowingly do a bad thing (that is anoy people) just to prove that you can take the negative mods that will follow seems extremely... non-constructive. I would label it as spam (or maybe worse, since spam doesn't aim at anoying people). Can you please stop it?
05-12-2007 at 10:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Blondbeard wrote:
Okay: My honest opinion, NiroZ. In your mission to prove how mature you are, since you don't care about points, I think you might just prove the oposite. Why do you want to force everybody else to know that you don't care about points? Isn't it enough that you know it? To knowingly do a bad thing (that is anoy people) just to prove that you can take the negative mods that will follow seems extremely... non-constructive. I would label it as spam (or maybe worse, since spam doesn't aim at anoying people). Can you please stop it?
Considering I'm not doing this to prove my maturity (or immaturity), or to prove my apathy towards points (although true), I don't find your case all that compelling.
05-12-2007 at 10:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Well... If you are just anoying people for your own amusement I don't find that very much better :) No matter. Please feel free to continue to anoy if it amuses you (although I would prefer it if you stopped).

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 05-12-2007 11:00 AM]
05-12-2007 at 10:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Maybe I should just mod down everyone in this thread. Except Erik's post, which I liked. You're splitting hairs, really. 316 mod points left. Please don't tempt me. I have one thing to say about this and similar threads: E-Penis.

There are limits on modding people up and down and they will have to do. Besides, what's the point of having mod powers if you aren't supposed to use them ? I don't see much evil in modding down even for relatively trivial stuff. Things like quotes nested several times , quote much longer than actual response etc deffinetely are woth modding down. If you can't be bothered to remove stuff unrelated to your reply, I would mod you down myself if I knew no better ways of spending free time.

I could suggest one change to the modding system: make the 'rank' of a post invisible until you mod it up or down. This will hopefully stop jealous people who mod someone 14 times down because the post was originally +14, and they feel it shouldn't be. It's the same thing as someone rating a game, thread or whatever very low because 'it doesn't deserve to be that high and I need to bring the average down'. If you start thinking about lowering the average instead of giving your opinion on ranked thing, you're indirectly taking away other users' freedom to vote. Like saying that your vote should count more.
This would have a drawback, of course. You wouldn't be able to quickly locate interesting posts. So how about another change: rank of each post becomes locked after one or two weeks.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 05-12-2007 11:44 AM]
05-12-2007 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
b0rsuk wrote:
There are limits on modding people up and down and they will have to do. Besides, what's the point of having mod powers if you aren't supposed to use them ? I don't see much evil in modding down even for relatively trivial stuff. Things like quotes nested several times , quote much longer than actual response etc deffinetely are woth modding down. If you can't be bothered to remove stuff unrelated to your reply, I would mod you down myself if I knew no better ways of spending free time.
Provided a post doesn't degrade to myspace quality, I don't see the point in modding down posts based on format. It's the content that counts. Spelling nazi's are unpopular for a reason.
I could suggest one change to the modding system: make the 'rank' of a post invisible until you mod it up or down. This will hopefully stop jealous people who mod someone 14 times down because the post was originally +14, and they feel it shouldn't be.
This is an issue!? I've never noticed it. On the contrary, people seem incredibly reluctant to reverse the points handed out by another member. Are you sure your not just having a general rant at rating systems in general?
This would have a drawback, of course. You wouldn't be able to quickly locate interesting posts. So how about another change: rank of each post becomes locked after one or two weeks.
Considering that this wouldn't work without the other suggestion (or people would just wait 2 weeks before modding posts), I have to disagree with this one as well.

Seeing that we're now back to throwing around suggestions about how to improve mod points, try this. Restrict the amount of mod points anyone can hold at any one time to 20 mod points. This should be more than enough for day-to-day modding, and will greatly lessen the impact of mod wars. It would also encourage people to spend rather than horde.
05-12-2007 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
b0rsuk wrote:
Actually, I change my mind. If a post was locked to moderation 2 weeks after the last mod point was spent on it, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
05-12-2007 at 12:21 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Someone posting in this thread asked me for my opinion on this. I'm crossposting here so everyone knows how I feel about this:

It's just this sort of stupid behaviour that drove me to handing in my Legendary Smitemaster badge. It is a friggin' smilie. These are friggin' modpoints. They are meaningless. They are not worth being worried about.

I understand why people get upset at downmods - in a forum where public disapproval is very rarely voiced, it's a little shocking to see a little anonymous flag saying 'I don't like this' next to your name. I get that. That's fine. It should be saved for when people actually don't like something with the post instead of someone trying to make a 'point'.

I'm very disappointed in most of you (Erik is awesome) and slightly disgusted with a few of you. You need to get over your bloody vendettas. That is, with all the seriousness of the grave, how wars start.

The person who asked my opinion on this wondered aloud what Maurog stood to get from all this, especially seeing his only actions to date have been to mod down people who use the exploding smilie. What he has managed to get is my wrath.

05-12-2007 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
My wrath:

I've kidnapped some of Maurog's rank points (Try and find where I took them from!). He can have them back when he finds a replacement exploding smilie that can be used instead.

This seems like a win-win situation to me.

05-12-2007 at 03:07 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501

File: postmortem.GIF (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 2829 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (-15)  
This is the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
Upmods, downmods and explosions, as far as the eye can see!

[Last edited by Maurog at 06-11-2007 05:47 PM]
05-12-2007 at 03:36 PM
Mattcrampy
That'd break things. Which is why I asked you to propose another smilie to be used in its place.

I shouldn't have expected anything less than prevarication from someone who's extolling the virtues of evil in his sig, or that offering a proactive solution to the page-breaking effects of the exploding smilie would be a preferred solution over causing people distress.

05-12-2007 at 05:38 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Personally I thought NiroZ was trying to say "Hey, I'm going to do this no matter what you do; give up, Maurog!"

05-12-2007 at 06:20 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
You know what? I like the :blowup smiley. It has better graphics than any other smiley, and it fills an emotional niche. As far as I know, Maurog is the only person who dislikes it - otherwise, why hasn't someone petitioned to have it removed from the smilies list?

05-12-2007 at 09:55 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Maurog wrote:
Why do we need so many smilies to show anger and frustration anyway?

Threads like this one, I reckon.

05-12-2007 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Jatopian wrote:
Personally I thought NiroZ was trying to say "Hey, I'm going to do this no matter what you do; give up, Maurog!"
And drain his mod points.

The reason I didn't say this earlier is because I didn't want to give him an excuse to stop modding me down. I apologise for all the annoyance I caused others, believe me, if there had been a less obnoxious way of going about this, I would have done it.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-13-2007 04:06 AM]
05-13-2007 at 12:25 AM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
Here's an idea. Let's just rotate the blow-up smiley 90 degrees! It saves vertical space and we still get all the blow-up goodness! Win-win!

05-13-2007 at 08:19 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Kinda weird...but I like it better than all of the other suggestions about smileys and downmods.

05-14-2007 at 05:35 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
zex20913 wrote:
Kinda weird...but I like it better than all of the other suggestions about smileys and downmods.
We could also have it and the explosion shrink down to half or a third in size before it explodes, as if the camera was zooming out to take cover...

05-14-2007 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
Jatopian wrote:
Not that I care, but these three posts are also vandalized.
I modded up the "these" post for you, Jatopian, because I'm a nice guy on the forum!:smile :)

[Last edited by Monkey at 05-15-2007 12:47 AM]
05-15-2007 at 12:47 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
If anyone really wants me too, I can give a link of recent -1s I've gotten too. Unfortunately, the vandal seems to have gotten smarter by modding down +1 posts, making the mods much more difficult to hunt down. I haven't been saying much (despite being a major target) because I don't want to get uptight about this and because it's probably not going to help. At least until I find out who it is, because if I do before they come and tell me, I will be very angry.

That said, if someone is modding me down for any particular reason, could you PM me and explain why?
05-15-2007 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Astronaut
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (0)  
Well, at least this thread made me go through some old threads to find out how this whole ranking system works. Being a big-time lurker (registered for three years this Thursday, having made a total of 57 posts), I've never cared much about rank points, and I do feel that some people are taking it a bit to personally when they get modded down. But who am I to talk, I'm just a simple goblin. Much wants more, I guess...

Oh, I nearly forgot: :blowup:

05-15-2007 at 01:50 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Hey, guys, I have too many rank points, can someone fix this for me, I think it's a bug D:
05-16-2007 at 01:25 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Hmm... so someone downmodded every post on this thread. Then the downmods were neutralized. And now, the whole thread is downmodded again.

When they did it first there were 80 posts.

When they did it again, 81.

So thats 322 mod points, right there, ignoring the part where some of these posts started from higher than 0.

Someone has an awful lot of modpoints to spare here.

05-16-2007 at 07:27 AM
NiroZ
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (0)  
Beef Row wrote:
So thats 322 mod points, right there, ignoring the part where some of these posts started from higher than 0.

I think we can all agree that at this point, downmods are nothing more than a joke.:blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:26 AM]
05-16-2007 at 07:32 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
NiroZ wrote:
I think we can all agree that at this point, downmods are nothing more than a joke.
Well, I certainly find the post by post downmodding of this entire thread sort of hilarious. Its probably not the same person thats been doing the random downmods though.

So here's a list of people who may have been logged on at the time, and therefore should be entered in a witch hunt:
Click here to view the secret text

05-16-2007 at 08:03 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Phenomenal. Really phenomenal. But I think Arte Johnson said it best: "Verrrrrry interesting. But shtupid."
05-16-2007 at 08:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I know some people are upset at all the drama! and so they may be downmodding to try and bring it to a halt. (Which, admittedly, I've done, and while at the time I thought it'd have a chilling effect in reality it makes it spill over into everywhere else.)

Alternatively, someone may be downmodding to prolong the drama! in which case, well, they're jerks. I think it's pretty clear that people far prefer knowing why they've been downmodded, so please, come! Gloat!

05-17-2007 at 06:33 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076

File: Picture 2.png (18.3 KB)
Downloaded 439 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (0)  
Hey look! Almost every post in this thread was modded up by two and the first post was up modded to +100! :w00t

Poor Maurog!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jason at 05-17-2007 04:04 PM]
05-17-2007 at 04:04 PM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central. (0)  
Oh! It's really! Woowhoo! :)

+100? that's the first place of a Contest! : :-O :-O :-O :-O

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
05-17-2007 at 04:10 PM
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
A moderator is messing with us. No normal member(s) could have that many points.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
05-17-2007 at 04:30 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Oh how people on this forum love eachother...
05-17-2007 at 04:32 PM
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com