Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (+2)  
This post of mine was downmodded--but then, I can hardly complain about that, can I? To be honest, I'm amused.

(By the way: nothing random about Pilchard's "It's one of these people" downmod above. That was me, and I agreed with the feeling when this happened before that this kind of paranoid finger-pointing was extremely counterproductive.)
05-11-2007 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (+1)  
It's Maurog, because A) he removed all the links from his first post. B) because he hates quote rainbows(do a search for [quote ] [quote ]. C)When I pm'ed him asking why he had modded down my :Blowup smile post, he removed it.:blowup

(sorry, I'm in a rush, someone might have already have said that.)

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 04:47 PM]
05-11-2007 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
If Maurog took this post from a +4 to a -1, I have nothing more to say than well played.

Also: :blowup

05-11-2007 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Maurog and associates, I dare you to downmod all 2661 of my posts :ras
05-11-2007 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (-10)  
This is the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
Upmods, downmods and explosions, as far as the eye can see!

[Last edited by Maurog at 05-29-2007 07:04 AM]
05-11-2007 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Add me for 'hey, what's the colour code? I'd prefer green myself'.
05-11-2007 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
You forgot yourself! ;)
05-11-2007 at 01:46 PM
NiroZ
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (0)  
I see you need to post a :blowup directly. Ah, well. Hit me!
Click here to view the secret text
how much is that?
05-11-2007 at 01:48 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
how much is that?
Are you sure that you even have that many posts to mod down? :w00t

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-11-2007 01:50 PM]
05-11-2007 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Briareos wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
how much is that?
Are you sure that you even have that many posts to mod down? :w00t
Well according to my profile, I've posted 2664 times. Should suffice.

Please guys, mod me down :blowup
05-11-2007 at 01:52 PM
NiroZ
Maurog, my post had more :blowup than that. Surely your not skimping on me now ;)
05-11-2007 at 02:23 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Maurog: Someone randomly modded me down, and I think it was stigant.
It wasn't me. I almost modded that post UP because your comment made me laugh, but then decided that you were probably being at least half mean. So I split the difference and did nothing.

[Last edited by stigant at 05-11-2007 02:46 PM]
05-11-2007 at 02:45 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Look, look, look,

We're never going to police the mod points. That would be a horrendous waste of time. There will be no Mod Point Bill of Rights, Mod Point Supreme Court, or Mod Point Secret Service. If mod points truly get out of hand, we're more likely to just remove them from the site completely.

And we don't want to promote talking about mod points in-topic because it tends to corrupt the original topic with mod point talk. Like if we had a visible record of who modded who, the "Philosophy of DROD" Topic would be a couple of interesting posts followed by...

BUBBA1: Why did you mod me down?
BUBBA2: Because you're pretentious.
BUBBA1: I think you modded me down because I modded you down on Wednesday.
BUBBA2: No, no, I deserved that. You're just being pretentious.
BUBBA1: Fine. Next time you post something, I'm modding you down.
BUBBA2: I'm gonna tell the moderators. You're so busted.

And this kind of crap will be terribly interesting to about six people. For everyone else the forum will become a boring wasteland of petty little fights over how big a number next to your name is.

If somebody mods you down, its not that big of a deal. Over time, your mod points are easily replaced, and unfair mods are just tiny dips in the graph. A more worthwhile effort would be getting people who have mod points to spend them more often for positive mods.

-Erik

05-11-2007 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
ErikH2000 wrote:
And this kind of crap will be terribly interesting to about six people. For everyone else the forum will become a boring wasteland of petty little fights over how big a number next to your name is.
This sounds remarkably like the high scores, and yet for some reason we still have them...

05-11-2007 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Jatopian wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
This sounds remarkably like the high scores, and yet for some reason we still have them...
Even if that were the case, the high score system is kept separate from the discussion boards. The discussion boards are in no way an extended series of discussions of who has what high score. (There was the sniping thread; and no one enjoyed it.)
05-11-2007 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
ErikH2000 wrote:
If somebody mods you down, its not that big of a deal. Over time, your mod points are easily replaced, and unfair mods are just tiny dips in the graph. A more worthwhile effort would be getting people who have mod points to spend them more often for positive mods.

-Erik
But with these things going on, there's more and more reason to horde your mod points. Besides, this type of action is greatly devaluing the impact of negative mods, to the point where I'm assuming that any mod down's I'm getting is not because of my post's content, but for some petty reason beyond my knowledge.:blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-12-2007 01:05 AM]
05-12-2007 at 01:05 AM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
ErikH2000 wrote:
If mod points truly get out of hand, we're more likely to just remove them from the site completely.

I don't want to contradict either, but I'm afraid that while I was sleeping, I had an argument against this. Yeah, the mod point system is fun and all, but if one person can ruin it and it gets removed from the site, surely that's unfair on everyone else who use the system responsibly. I mean, if you can name another forum with a system like this, then you've been browsing the net a lot more than I have. I imagine Schik had a lot of trouble implementing the system.

I mean, which is a better approach for the community as a whole: Let one person ruin it, remove it from the site, and then have loads of people moaning and asking for it to come back; or find that one person, give them a chance to explain why they did it, allow them to apologise, and problem gets solved and we all get on with it? I think you all know the answer.

EDIT: Well, that's my opinion anyway.

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 05-12-2007 06:10 AM]
05-12-2007 at 05:19 AM
Tahnan
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I mean, which is a better approach for the community as a whole: Let one person ruin it, remove it from the site, and then have loads of people moaning and asking for it to come back; or find that one person, give them a chance to explain why they did it, allow them to apologise, and problem gets solved and we all get on with it? I think you all know the answer.
I've got a third option that's much better. If one person's running around randomly downmodding, why don't we all ignore it? That way, that one person hasn't actually ruined anything, and we don't have to go on a witchhunt and start throwing around accusations, and we can all just get on with our lives.
05-12-2007 at 05:47 AM
NiroZ
Pilchard VIII wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
If mod points truly get out of hand, we're more likely to just remove them from the site completely.

I don't want to contradict either, but I'm afraid that while I was sleeping, I had an argument against this. Yeah, the mod point system is fun and all, but if one person can ruin it and it gets removed from the site, surely that's unfair on everyone else who use the system responsibly. I mean, if you can name another forum with a system like this, then you've been browsing the net a lot more than I have. I imagine Schik had a lot of trouble implementing the system.
In a topic that has since been deleted after the topic author was modded down and was afraid of being modded down even more, Oneiromancer said that if the 'Predict the next poster' topic got out of hand, they would close it. I thought he was joking, but now I'm not so sure... :blowup

Maurog, Banjooie and the other person (you know who you are) have explained perfectly well what they are doing, and I doubt that they will ever want to apologise.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-12-2007 01:16 PM]
05-12-2007 at 05:48 AM
Maurog
icon Re: Random, uncalled for down-mods (-2)  

05-12-2007 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
That's a good idea, but it's not fair on you then. Sure you may have annoyed some people in the past (admittedly, myself included), but it's not fair to take the blame for something you haven't done.

05-12-2007 at 08:09 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Pilchard VIII wrote:
That's a good idea, but it's not fair on you then.

If he's like me, and doesn't care a single bit about his posts being modded down, why is it not fair at all?
05-12-2007 at 08:25 AM
Maurog

05-12-2007 at 08:29 AM
NiroZ
:blowup wrote:
But I really don't mind... it's just points anyway, and you know I'm a bad guy, so there should be no problem. We really don't need any arguing and finger pointing on the forums. This is a great community, and it's sad to see people ruining it with silly witch hunts. So don't worry about me, just do it. I don't even think there is enough pent hate around to drop me to 0 points, everyone are so annoyingly forgiving and nice.
I doubt people have enough hate to drop you to 0, seeing as to reach it, they would have to break the forum software. The lowest you can go is 1.:blowup
05-12-2007 at 08:44 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
NiroZ wrote:
But I really don't mind... it's just points anyway, and you know I'm a bad guy, so there should be no problem. We really don't need any arguing and finger pointing on the forums. This is a great community, and it's sad to see people ruining it with silly witch hunts. So don't worry about me, just do it. I don't even think there is enough pent hate around to drop me to 0 points, everyone are so annoyingly forgiving and nice.
I doubt people have enough hate to drop you to 0, seeing as to reach it, they would have to break the forum software. The lowest you can go is 1.:blowup

Can you please stop using exploding smileys?

Firstly: It's rather anoying. Secondly: It feels as if your motivation is primarely to anoy, since you know that at least Maurog doesn't really like that smiley.

Really... What are you trying to prove? That points aren't important to you? :rolleyes
05-12-2007 at 09:35 AM
NiroZ
Blondbeard wrote:
NiroZ wrote:

Firstly: It's rather anoying. Secondly: It feels as if your motivation is primarely to anoy, since you know that at least Maurog doesn't really like that smiley.

Really... What are you trying to prove? That points aren't important to you? :rolleyes
You guessed right about the points, but I'm doing it to amuse myself, which AFAIK, is the same reason Maurog is modding them down.
05-12-2007 at 09:45 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Blondbeard wrote:

While I agree with you on the obnoxiousness of the exploding smiley, it's also the perfect opportunity to make use of AdBlock on this site... :)

np: Salz - Jon & Teh Knightriders (Stadtmusik (Disc 1))

05-12-2007 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Briareos wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:

While I agree with you on the obnoxiousness of the exploding smiley, it's also the perfect opportunity to make use of AdBlock on this site... :)

np: Salz - Jon & Teh Knightriders (Stadtmusik (Disc 1))
I wish I had thought of that.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-12-2007 10:22 AM]
05-12-2007 at 10:21 AM
Maurog

[Last edited by Maurog at 05-29-2007 07:03 AM]
05-12-2007 at 10:22 AM
NiroZ
Maurog wrote:
NiroZ is working for me. His latest assignment was to prove to everyone beyond any doubt that exploding smilies are annoying. So far, he's doing quite well...
Speaking of which, when are ya paying me? I don't do this sort of thing for free ya know.

Pretty pointless work anyway, I think most people get annoyed at them the moment that they see :blowup posted.
05-12-2007 at 10:34 AM
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random, uncalled for down-mods. Also, "mod all posts totally random" central.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com