Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where's my game?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AgitatedPenguin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Where's my game? (0)  
I beat the demo of DROD:KDD and I wanted to play the whole thing so I shelled out the 20 bucks and bought it. Then I got the email containing the link to download my game. I downloaded it (Mac version), installed it and started it up and...it's still the demo version. Why do I feel like I got ripped off? I emailed erikh@caravelgames.com two days ago and got no response. Where's my game?
04-21-2007 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Where's my game? (0)  
I think Erik is on a business trip in Europe at the moment, which would explain why he has not yet answered you - he is normally very good at dealing with porblems such as yours.

I remember when I played the JtRH demo and then bought the full game (Mac version) there was a similar problem. Unfortunatley I'm fairly clueless about the workings of computers and can't remember specifically what I had to do, but I do remember that Erik gave me explicit instructions which I was able to follow and hey presto - I had the full version.

I'm sure someone with more expertise than me will come along shortly and explain what you need to do. Meantime welcome to the DROD community. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

04-22-2007 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Er. Wow. That sucks.
Erik may well be absent; perhaps you should try support@caravelgames.com? I think they check that one regularly.

Oh, and if you're itching for something to play in the meantime, I'd suggest the Holds collection. You won't be able to play the TCB ones, but those aren't many yet.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 04-22-2007 12:04 AM : Holds]
04-22-2007 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: Where's my game? (+1)  
Don't worry, you'll get things sorted out. Erik is busy at times. For the worst-case scenario, just make sure you keep your Order Number, which should have been in an email from Plimus.

One thing that might be going on: Both the demo and full version can be installed at the same time, but separately. Installing the full version doesn't "upgrade" the demo, so if you started it up the same way, you would just get the demo.

(This also means that the first time you start the full version, it won't remember your player or how far you've played. But if you want, you can export your player from the demo and import it in the full version, and then it will.)

I don't know enough about the Mac setup to troubleshoot much more than this. If you successfully downloaded and installed the full version from a Plimus access link, I'd bet it's on your computer... somewhere.
04-22-2007 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
You may want to also try e-mailing bugs@caravelgames.com instead of just Erik...the other address will hit Mike Rimer as well and he may be able to help sort you out if any advice her doesn't work.

Unlike most shareware games, the demo download isn't the entire version that is then unlocked. So if you tried to install the full version to the same folder as the demo, things might have gotten weird. I think that exporting your player file (by going to Choose Player), copying that to a safe location, uninstalling the version that you currently have installed, then installing the full version from scratch, and importing your player file when that's done, should work fine.

And if all else fails, and all these runarounds just piss you off, Erik has been very good about giving full refunds so when he is available once again, I am sure that this will be resolved.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-22-2007 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AgitatedPenguin
Thanks for all the quick help guys. I did what you said and emailed Mike and support and everything. 11 emails later my game finally works. I lost all my old data though so I have to start over. :( Thanks again for all your helpfulness.
04-23-2007 at 05:28 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Are you sure? If you can export your player from the old install, and import it to the new one, that ought to work just fine.
04-23-2007 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AgitatedPenguin
No. I had to delete everything to fix the problem I was having so there was nothing to import. I should have added that, sorry. Mike told me to delete some directory and that didn't work so I just used spotlight to search for caravel and I found a folder somewhere called "Caravel" -- I forget where -- but deleting that directory solved my problem. Thanks again everyone.
04-24-2007 at 11:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where's my game?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com