Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Community Website Report Card. (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
On average, how often do you actually visit the website?
Everyday. PollPollPoll 4 9.52%
Most of the time. PollPollPoll 5 11.90%
Only when I'm looking for some specific PollPollPoll 26 61.90%
Only when I know you've updated it. PollPollPoll 5 11.90%
There's a DROD website that isn't a forum? PollPollPoll 2 4.76%

When/If you visit the website, what you go to first? (Downloads are a given)
Articles (General/Playing/Building) PollPollPoll 17 48.57%
Stories PollPollPoll 6 17.14%
Graphics PollPollPoll 1 2.86%
Contests PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Reference PollPollPoll 6 17.14%
Fun Stuff PollPollPoll 5 14.29%

Out of ten, how would you rate the website's appearance and layout?
0-2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3-4 PollPollPoll 4 10.26%
5-6 PollPollPoll 9 23.08%
7-8 PollPollPoll 21 53.85%
9-10 PollPollPoll 5 12.82%

Out of ten, how would you rate the website's content?
0-2 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
3-4 PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
5-6 PollPollPoll 11 28.21%
7-8 PollPollPoll 20 51.28%
9-10 PollPollPoll 8 20.51%

What new content would you like to see most on the website?
Reference Articles PollPollPoll 13 31.71%
Contest Summaries PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Fun Stuff PollPollPoll 4 9.76%
Player Challenges PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Graphical Modification Previews + Downloads PollPollPoll 7 17.07%
Architect's Guides PollPollPoll 7 17.07%
Stories PollPollPoll 10 24.39%

Persoanlly, what do you think could improve the site?
I have something, and I'll be posting my reasons. PollPollPoll 22 70.97%
The site is perfect as it is. PollPollPoll 9 29.03%
Total Votes 48 100%
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Community Website Report Card. (0)  
Seeing as how in about a month I'll be able to get back to working on the website, I figured that I should be finding out how you all feel about this website. I know that it's a long way away from being perfect, but if I'm to be spending time on it, I might as well be giving people what they want.

I want to emphasize here that all criticism offered will be respected and valued, so long as valid reasons are given behind it. Generalizing that "The site is bad" gives me nothing to go on, whereas "The site is bad because I don't see any pictures of flaming monkeys on the first page" at least gives me an idea of what you want.

Feel free to make any kind of suggestions you want: I'm open to new ideas.

-Patrick

04-20-2007 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
icon Re: Community Website Report Card. (0)  
Well, I would've preferred having some of the options having multiple choice, but oh well.

I think the one thing to really improve the site is for more people to submit there own things. I've been trying to work on non-canon stories, and I know it's hard, but if more content is added, it would be good. Also, if we can get some canonical history behind Beethro's ancestors, like about Gunthro, that would be good.
04-20-2007 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Basically, all I would really want is a more regular update schedule. It doesn't even have to be close to often, but just somewhat predictable.

Also, I find one to ten scales that include 11 numbers and only have five options hilarious.
04-20-2007 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
icon Re: Community Website Report Card. (+1)  
I would say that the darn background needs to be fixed, and that I think a regular update schedule would be nice. At least weekly. Maybe get some regular article writers, or some features. For instance, maybe larrymurk could make an article on lynchpin design. Even something cheesy like the "room of the week" would be good.
04-20-2007 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I can't type out my full thoughts at this moment, but I will say this poll would've been better with multiple selection allowed in parts.

04-20-2007 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
coppro wrote:
Maybe get some regular article writers, or some features.

I would gladly continue my hold review series, I work much better when I actually have a deadline! Believe me!
04-20-2007 at 03:32 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
My biggest gripe with the current site is that the categories don't make any sense to me, thus whenever I look for something, I have to search through the entire website. For that reason I didn't vote for the second question.
04-20-2007 at 03:37 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
A more flexible search engine would be great. For instance, being able to use + or - and quotes would be very useful.
04-20-2007 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Ezlo wrote:
Well, I would've preferred having some of the options having multiple choice, but oh well.
It's intentional on my part. I want first, gut reactions. What people want first, before anything else.
I think the one thing to really improve the site is for more people to submit there own things. I've been trying to work on non-canon stories, and I know it's hard, but if more content is added, it would be good. Also, if we can get some canonical history behind Beethro's ancestors, like about Gunthro, that would be good.
I would love to see more user content as well, but it's kind of an uncontrollable variable. As for more Canonical stories, they're also ranging on the uncontrollable, as those are left to Erik.
Ravon wrote:
Basically, all I would really want is a more regular update schedule. It doesn't even have to be close to often, but just somewhat predictable.
That can be arranged. Like I've said before, I'm trying to concentrate on school at the moment as opposed to DROD, which is why there hasn't been an update in a while.
coppro wrote:
I would say that the darn background needs to be fixed...
Well, as odd as it sounds, the community website's background goes 1600 wide, which is longer than the company page.
Maybe get some regular article writers, or some features. For instance, maybe larrymurk could make an article on lynchpin design. Even something cheesy like the "room of the week" would be good.
That's most certainly an option, but it would require people to participate and dedicate time. Room of the week could be an option though...something along the lines of restoring "Optimize This!" on a weekly basis?
NiroZ wrote:
My biggest gripe with the current site is that the categories don't make any sense to me, thus whenever I look for something, I have to search through the entire website.
Well, I remember discussing categories when we first revamped the site, and I personally felt this was better than the old style. Out of curiosity, how would you arrange the sections?

04-20-2007 at 05:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
My biggest gripe with the current site is that the categories don't make any sense to me, thus whenever I look for something, I have to search through the entire website.
Well, I remember discussing categories when we first revamped the site, and I personally felt this was better than the old style. Out of curiosity, how would you arrange the sections?
Probably with a more tight focus, and prevent the catagories from overlapping (like the articles-general, stories and reference catagories do). I can give you a more detailed POV if you are interested, but that will take a while to do.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-20-2007 06:29 AM]
04-20-2007 at 06:28 AM
NiroZ
Hang on, I've realised what I really want.
A article detailing the finer points of scripting, and what everything does.
04-20-2007 at 02:57 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Community Website Report Card. (+2)  
I think you've been doing a great job on the Community Website. Although, some minor things below:

1) The JtRH screenshots don't really explain much. If you could add a few more, to give the new smiter a better understanding of the game.
2) Same as #1, but for Architect's Edition.
3) The older news, some people might find of interest, and should be added to the News section. I mean, I always visited the community page, and never knew a forum existed, so News there, might be of some importance to those people.
4) TCB Postmortem would be cool.
5) Probably some people who could write stories/articles regularly.
6) Update the graphical mod section: There are a lot that are missing.
7) Editing Articles--> AE Graphics - Style Modifications--> Trompe le Monde Picture Six--> GeneralTimes.bmp is supposed to be GeneralTiles.bmp.
8) Contest History has definitely got to be updated.
9) Reference--> Characters, the 39th Slayer should be included.
10) Add TCB to the Downloads page.
11) Download--> Holds--> The 'Upload it' link has been updated.
12) Have the missing music files been added to the Architects Edition, yet?
13) A new version of DRODer! is out, and the folder should be updated.

Keep posting,

04-20-2007 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
UrAvgAzn wrote:
12) Have the missing music files been added to the Architects Edition, yet?
Yes. :thumbsup

04-21-2007 at 12:17 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Okay, all my major projects for school are done, meaning that I'm going to try and get things rolling again.
UrAvgAzn wrote:
1) The JtRH screenshots don't really explain much. If you could add a few more, to give the new smiter a better understanding of the game.
2) Same as #1, but for Architect's Edition.
I suppose that can be arranged. I feel a bit less guilty about adding more JtRH screenshots now as well, considering that it's now an older release.
4) TCB Postmortem would be cool.
It would. I'll try my best.
5) Probably some people who could write stories/articles regularly.
Mmmm...it's an option, but it'll have to be weighed carefully.
6) Update the graphical mod section: There are a lot that are missing.
7) Editing Articles--> AE Graphics - Style Modifications--> Trompe le Monde Picture Six--> GeneralTimes.bmp is supposed to be GeneralTiles.bmp.
I'll do my best.
8) Contest History has definitely got to be updated.
9) Reference--> Characters, the 39th Slayer should be included.
Contest history is something that's very hard to work, especially with entries and the like. It's a priority, but a low one at that. As for the Slayer, it will be added in the future, rest assured.
10) Add TCB to the Downloads page.
11) Download--> Holds--> The 'Upload it' link has been updated.
That's the moderator's domain. I'm sure it will happen in due time.

I have a couple of first priorities that I intend to start working on within the next couple of weeks (Mostly working on the mini-backlog of articles that have been submitted), but any suggestions for new articles are greatly appreciated.

05-11-2007 at 03:14 AM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
(1) I'd like it so that you could have editable text in secret tags. Something like
[secret text=whatever you want the secret tag to say].
(2) Maybe an option to have HTML enabled. I'm HTML crazy!
That's all I want.:smile

05-13-2007 at 02:58 PM
Jatopian
icon Re: Community Website Report Card. (-1)  
Monkey wrote:
(1) I'd like it so that you could have editable text in secret tags. Something like
[secret text=whatever you want the secret tag to say].
(2) Maybe an option to have HTML enabled. I'm HTML crazy!
That's all I want.:smile
Those are not only bad ideas, but also irrelevant in a thread about the site proper (not the forum).

05-13-2007 at 09:03 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Just to let you all know, I've added new JtRH screenshots for everyone.

05-18-2007 at 06:30 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Community Website Report Card. (+1)  
How about having a sticky for "The site has been updated!"?

05-18-2007 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Community Website Report Card. (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com