Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : New Forum
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: New Forum (0)  
Earlier this morning I deleted one of a double-post on the Anything board, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-10-2003 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Deleting a post should also remove it from the unread list, so that *shouldn't* be the cause. I'm pretty sure it was the database corruption, though I have no idea why that occurred in the first place.

10-10-2003 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
One more slight change in the forum - I added a new level that is earned only by being DROD "staff" if you will, but not forum staff. These few, proud individuals are known as "Legendary Architects".

You can rest assured that they know what they're talking about. Well, as long as they're discussing DROD. Otherwise, all bets are off. ;)

Legendary Architects can also create new threads in News, which seems quite appropriate.

10-11-2003 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
A thing about the new birthday feature: I couldn't seem to submit my birthday. Every time I submitted it, the space went blank the next time I clicked the "Modify" button.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-11-2003 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
NoahT wrote:
A thing about the new birthday feature: I couldn't seem to submit my birthday. Every time I submitted it, the space went blank the next time I clicked the "Modify" button.
Schik wrote:
- The view profile page doesn't show all the new stuff (or some of the old stuff even). And if you add your birthday to your profile, it's not set correctly when you re-edit the profile.

10-11-2003 at 09:07 AM
Oneiromancer
I'm having that problem that Tim had where every time I come back to the forum I have to re-enter my name and password. I am using the "caravelgames" address bookmark because the usual "drod.net" one isn't working, of course. I notice that when I go somewhere else it takes me to a "host97.ipowerweb" address. Would bookmarking that one keep my name and password better?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-13-2003 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: New Forum (+1)  
Just be patient and wait until the name is fully switched over to the new server - it will all be fixed then.

10-13-2003 at 05:06 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Lots of avatars aren't showing up now. Mike's is OK, as are Atch and Eytan's. Nearly all the others just give me the ugly red cross in a box.

"Oook!"
10-13-2003 at 05:39 PM
Oneiromancer
I'll be patient, I just wanted to mention it because it hadn't been brought up again. And about the avatars--I think the people who had their avatars uploaded to the forum are the ones who aren't showing up. Makes sense to me, at least.

Game on,

10-13-2003 at 06:02 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you look at the properties of the missing avatars, you see they are all linked to www.drod.net - so presumably, they'll all come back to life once the domain name is pointing at the right server.

My avatar is stored on my own webspace, which is why it's still working.

10-13-2003 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
I'll be patient, I just wanted to mention it because it hadn't been brought up again.
Yeah, sorry. I did ask for bug reports, after all. :eyes
And about the avatars--I think the people who had their avatars uploaded to the forum are the ones who aren't showing up.
Exactly - they're on the drod.net server, and the name is pointing to the wrong place right now, so.... they're broken links. All will be better when the name is pointed to the right place.

10-13-2003 at 10:40 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
My avatar is fine, since I replaced the web version with a version I saved on my hard drive, not long after avatar uploads from the hard drive were allowed. Speaking of avatars, I might eventually change mine from a Snood avatar to a Teen Titans avatar, since I'm more interested in Teen Titans now.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-14-2003 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Actually, your avatar is a red x too. It seems like you did upload it to the forum, which is why it isn't showing up.

Game on,

10-14-2003 at 06:46 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Schik wrote:
One more slight change in the forum - I added a new level that is earned only by being DROD "staff" if you will, but not forum staff. These few, proud individuals are known as "Legendary Architects".
Ooh! I'll wear my new title with pride :D

One thing, though: The title "Legendary Architect" kinda implies that i'm a good Dungeon Architect, which there's really no reason to believe since i've not released any holds yet. I should probably do that some time (i've created a bunch, actually, but those that didn't get lost when i pulled a wrong switch aren't worth releasing yet).

:cigar

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 10-14-2003 at 08:27 PM GMT]
10-14-2003 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Here's one strange things that was happening for me...I saw that DROD 1.6 had been released, so I dowloaded it on my home computer. Then I exited my web browser and plugged in my laptop to download it on that too. When I came to the forum I wasn't logged in, because the domain name had been changed back. So I tried to log in, but it wouldn't let me--it just kept returning me to the unlogged in main forum page. I then noticed that it said that I was still logged in on the list of people currently browsing the forum. I had definitely closed my browser on my home computer, in fact I opened and closed it several more times, but it still said I was logged in on my laptop. Of course if I manually logout the problem is solved, but I haven't needed to do that before--I browse the forum from my home computer at night and my laptop during the day, and I've never not been able to log in just because I had been browsing from one just a short time previously.

Game on,

10-20-2003 at 02:15 AM
eytanz
The exact same thing happened to me on one of the computers in my office - I can no longer log in from it.

10-20-2003 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I can't explain exactly why this would work, but try clearing your cookies in both browsers.

-Erik

10-20-2003 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Will we have to do this every time, or just this time because the server changed?

Game on,

10-20-2003 at 06:03 AM
Schik
Actually, when the name changed back to drod.net, there had to be a tiny change in the cookies php code that I didn't tell Erik about. It's fixed now, and should start working again for everyone.

10-20-2003 at 02:53 PM
Oneiromancer
Whew! Thanks!

Game on,

10-20-2003 at 04:59 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Yay, I'm myself again, or Zmann is me, or I just had way too much sugar... Yay.
10-20-2003 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
The "insert room image" function seems broken - it gets you up to the room image alright, but then it shows a small red x.

10-20-2003 at 11:12 PM
Schik
Thanks, it's been fixed.

10-21-2003 at 03:45 PM
Oneiromancer
The roaches are missing from the Challenge headers:
C h a l l e n g e !
 see? 

Game on,

10-21-2003 at 11:24 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
It appears the forum software strips multiple adjacent spaces.

1 space > <

20 spaces > <

Why??

I noticed this when I realised the horrible thing that was being done to my fullstops :eyes
10-22-2003 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Actually, that has nothing to do with the forum software. That's part of the HTML spec - whitespace is ignored for formatting, except one space between words. If you want to use whitespace to format, it has to be in a <pre> block.

10-22-2003 at 03:34 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Something that caught me when doing the forum FAQ. Just in case you wanted to know.

Matt

10-22-2003 at 04:27 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Schik wrote:
Actually, that has nothing to do with the forum software. That's part of the HTML spec - whitespace is ignored for formatting, except one space between words.  If you want to use whitespace to format, it has to be in a <pre> block.
I've found a better way, that a poster can actually use in the post text - nobreak spaces.  These are automatically parsed even though they're html.  Unfortunately this happens whether inside or outside [code] blocks, or the editing text after preview.

The html for nobreak spaces is "& nbsp ;" removing the spaces within the quotes. All the other special characters are also available e.g.

& alpha ; & beta ; & gamma ; & delta; & epsilon ; & zeta ;
(removing spaces)
αβγδεζ

It would be nice if you could automatically parse the post text, adding them where necessary for display (mostly to fix the preview problem, but also for convenience)  If the set of spaces is more than two, you only need to replace every second space, for the text to display as the author intended.
10-22-2003 at 02:39 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
I found a bug! I can opt out of my vote and look at the results, then press back, and vote. So I can actually see the results before I vote. :D I'm so clever.

-Zmann
10-23-2003 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Zmann wrote:
I found a bug! I can opt out of my vote and look at the results, then press back, and vote. So I can actually see the results before I vote. :D I'm so clever.
Damn you.

Err... yeah, I can fix that. Didn't even think about that. Could do it with two windows open to the same page as well. Coule probably vote multiple times that way too.

10-24-2003 at 06:00 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : New Forum
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com