Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Next post gets +5 (!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Next post gets +5 (0)  
For serious.

04-09-2007 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Next post gets +5 (+5)  
+5 what?
04-09-2007 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Next post gets +5 (0)  
I could have said tokens, but it's actually mod points. Game over!

04-09-2007 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Next post gets +5 (+5)  
:huh
04-09-2007 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Can a mod move this too Forum Games please. :|

:D Fine! I can never keep a straight face!
04-09-2007 at 03:10 AM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
I know it was already suggested that this goes to Forum Games, but I'll do it again to make the original poster feel bad.

Hmm. I wonder if anyone would repply to -5 thread. I know I would, just for fun (don't ask).

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 04-09-2007 06:47 AM]
04-09-2007 at 06:45 AM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
[Edited]

Hmmm, I don't really expect this to be centre of debate. Consider the picture is a rather shallow example of Western general usage of advertisment, posted in a topic not necessarily ful of high brow conversation, and extract some deep controversy when it's no more than what it is. Consider that it was out of reaction, if you was offended, I apologise. Though my thoughts wasn't of a sexual nature at the time - I consider myself innocent at that. I don't want people having strange ideas about me... (I should of used the gorrilla)

Nevertheless it has raise more questions in my mind that I wish not to vocalise...

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 04-09-2007 07:51 PM]
04-09-2007 at 08:23 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
What do I get? What do I get? What do I get? What do I get? What do I get?[/annoying_child]
04-09-2007 at 09:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Am I alone in felling that Yellow Mage's photo is in rather bad taste for this forum? :unsure

Maybe I am. Maybe I'm just being old-fashioned. :yes

OK, I'll be quiet then. :blush

04-09-2007 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
Am I alone in felling that Yellow Mage's photo is in rather bad taste for this forum? :unsure
Maybe it's just me, but it isn't in worse taste than some of the ads that we have all over the city here - so I think "Think of the children!1!" doesn't really apply here... your mileage may vary, of course... :)

np: Why? - Act Five (Elephant Eye Lash)

04-09-2007 at 11:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Briareos wrote:
Elfstone wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but it isn't in worse taste than some of the ads that we have all over the city here - so I think "Think of the children!1!" doesn't really apply here... your mileage may vary, of course... :)

I'm pretty sure that there are people in this forum who don't live in the same city as you. Just saying.

04-09-2007 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
eytanz wrote:
I'm pretty sure that there are people in this forum who don't live in the same city as you. Just saying.
Sure - maybe I should have also said "country" instead of city...

But if an image is deemed "okay" for around 8.5 million people (including children) to see and there's no public outcry there has to be some sort of (at least local) consensus that it's not "bad" if our children see it.

Still - I really didn't mean to start a debate about this here, and I do know there's no world-wide consensus on this topic (that's why I added the "YMMV" to my last post)...

np: Sole - Bottle Of Humans (Bottle Of Humans)

04-09-2007 at 12:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Briareos wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Sure - maybe I should have also said "country" instead of city...

How is that relevant to anything? Not everyone lives in the same country as you, either.

And I can safely say that even though I don't know what country you're from, and I don't plan to check until after I finish writing this message.

But if an image is deemed "okay" for around 8.5 million people (including children) to see and there's no public outcry there has to be some sort of (at least local) consensus that it's not "bad" if our children see it.

Still - I really didn't mean to start a debate about this here, and I do know there's no world-wide consensus on this topic (that's why I added the "YMMV" to my last post)...

Well, first of all, no-one but you mentioned children so I don't see why they are relevant.

Second, as in most such cases, it's not about what's right or wrong. It's about respecting other people's wishes. I honestly don't think that any harm can come to anyone - child or adult - from looking at that picture. I'm pretty sure I would be very comfortable in your country. But being considerate means trying to accomodate those who feel otherwise, and not making them uncomfortable.

I don't think that the picture should be removed or anything, mind you. I'm not actually bothered by it. I'm bothered by your defense of it, since the same defense can be used for a lot of stuff that's a lot worse, and is essentially an attempt to impose your values on others.

04-09-2007 at 12:52 PM
Briareos
eytanz wrote:
I'm bothered by your defense of it, since the same defense can be used for a lot of stuff that's a lot worse, and is essentially an attempt to impose your values on others.
I'm bothered that you think I would use the same (or any) defense here for the worse stuff you're mentioning...

But I'll just stay away from this discussion, if it happens to continue...

np: Sage Francis - Cup Of Tea (Personal Journals)

04-09-2007 at 01:08 PM
eytanz
Briareos wrote:
eytanz wrote:
I'm bothered by your defense of it, since the same defense can be used for a lot of stuff that's a lot worse, and is essentially an attempt to impose your values on others.
I'm bothered that you think I would use the same (or any) defense here for the worse stuff you're mentioning...

Just to clarify - I don't think *you* would, actually. But someone else might, and if it's valid in one case, it's valid in the other. All that would be different is what side of the fence you would be on.

But I do agree that this is not the place for this discussion, and I have run out of things to say anyway.

04-09-2007 at 01:12 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Elfstone wrote:
Well, you're not alone.

(Note: I don't mind anyone posting this kind of photos, but I will be modding these down.)

[Last edited by Tim at 04-09-2007 01:30 PM]
04-09-2007 at 01:29 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Can an admin just remove the offending picture please, before it stirs up more controversy?
04-09-2007 at 01:42 PM
eytanz
No, I really think they shouldn't - this picture may be in bad taste, but it's not actually against forum policies. I think that Yellow_mage should consider removing it, but I'd hate to have moderators remove something just because it is a bit offensive.

04-09-2007 at 02:34 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
NiroZ wrote:
Can an admin just remove the offending picture please, before it stirs up more controversy?

eytanz is right NiroZ: much as I would prefer the picture not to be there, I don't feel it is worthy of such disapprobation that the moderators need to remove it.

I am aware, as I said in my previous post, that my sensibilities may not be the same as everyone else's here. For one thing this is a very heavily male populated site and that will inevitably make a difference to how this is viewed.

Perhaps I would have been better to say nothing; the thread might have faded quite quickly anyway. I regret that my comments have contributed to stirring up "controversy".

04-09-2007 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I'm confused. Can I have a +5 now?

04-09-2007 at 02:56 PM
eytanz
icon Re: Next post gets +5 (+1)  
Well, Zex only gave +5 to Ravon, for whatever reason. Then I modded NiroZ's first post +5 because I found that amusing. I don't think this is a "free +5 to everyone that posts" thread, though...

04-09-2007 at 03:10 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
But since I asked so nicely, I'll get a +5 anyhow? :)
Pleeeeeease? Well now I did.

-Insane

Actually I don't really care..

[Last edited by Insane at 04-09-2007 03:56 PM]
04-09-2007 at 03:56 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
The picture isn't in as bad taste as the first post.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-09-2007 at 05:13 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Elfstone wrote:
For one thing this is a very heavily male populated site and that will inevitably make a difference to how this is viewed.
Nice to know we've moved past sexism in the 21st century... -_-

[Last edited by Jatopian at 04-10-2007 10:35 PM : terminology precision]
04-09-2007 at 06:59 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Aww! Did I miss the debated picture? :P
04-09-2007 at 11:55 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Next post gets +5 (!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com