Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Interview with Erik
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
IP: Logged
icon Interview with Erik (+2)  
http://www.indiegamepod.com/

Some TCB info, multiplayer games coming after, etc.

03-21-2007 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Interview with Erik (0)  
Hmm, he sounds a bit stressed :).
It is quite awkward (is that a good word?) for me to listen to English audition :). I'm not used to it.
Anyway, I'll listen to the whole thing tomorrow, now I have to go sleep. I got to 380secs ^^.

But hey, I think I'll start listening to English radios, it is nice to listen to foreign language, especially when you like this language really much and you plan to move tovisit a country where this language is used in the near future ;).

Ps, I didn't except that Erik's voice would sound like that. Not that I expected anything though... It is just a normal voice - I thought it would sound some kind of specail way, hence he created DROD or so... Doh, I say strange things xD.

Ps2: First comment!
Ps3: Post Scriptum looks to much like playstation to me. It makes me want to be able to play Metal Gear Solid 4!

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:53 PM : Going to the keep]
03-21-2007 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
So, Erik's expected date of TCB release is at about two months from the date of recording (posted 4 days ago - apparently not very old).

Sounds like a loooong last percent.

I'm not particularly used to following english either, but could get through this one without any real trouble. Not a whole lot of genuinely new information, but since the target audience is on the outside, that's perfectly expectable.

Good luck to Erik with his future projects. :yes
03-21-2007 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Erik, either you need to hit your recording equipment, or talk louder.

Seriously, I had to strain to hear you on that streaming whatchamcallit.
03-21-2007 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Interview with Erik (+1)  
Wow! These kinds of things are gold for me! I don't know why, but sometimes I get this urge to do some research about some of the forum members. Look at their moderated posts, see where they tend to post.

The thread with photos of people is somethink I love (and the questionary thread is nice). Mrimers homepage is another gold mine of nice information (and photos!). This is the first time I hear Eriks voice, and it's a really long interview with lots of cool information. I had no idea Erik sounded so... ... American :P

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-21-2007 11:17 PM]
03-21-2007 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Doom wrote:
So, Erik's expected date of TCB release is at about two months from the date of recording (posted 4 days ago - apparently not very old).

Two months = I can go on holidays and not having to worry about it coming out while I'm gone LIKE IT DID LAST TIME.

Also, time for 'Ask things about TCB' because I have some dumb questions to ask. I was worried that I'd have to play the game to find out the answers.
:)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 03-22-2007 03:26 AM]
03-22-2007 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Patrick's guesses:

1) This thing was actually recorded fairly earlier to the release date of the podcast.

2) He was referring to the date at which it would be publically announced outside the forum, as he mentioned earlier in the podcast.

03-22-2007 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
The interview was recorded about a month ago, I think. But you should always remember that The Bar is the ultimate authority on when DROD: The City Beneath will be released. Whenever Mike or I want to figure out how long the release will take, we always just check the bar. ;)

I listened to the interview this morning, and was amazed at how depressed and apologetic I sound. I didn't feel depressed and apologetic while I was recording. In the back of my mind, I'm always afraid of coming across as a braggart, so I think I ended up way underselling what Caravel is doing. Also, I talk so frigging slow, I don't know how anyone can stand to listen to me. And why do I have to start off with "Well..." every other time? Ugh. Very painful listening to myself talk, and realizing I don't sound that great. In fact, I'll try to improve my speaking style for future events like this. Mainly, I think I need to put a little more energy into how I talk.

As far as the content goes, I was immediately regretful after the interview for not inserting a few more names of people that helped with Caravel stuff. It shouldn't sound like an Oscar speech, but it's good to mention names here and there. And I was honestly caught off guard with questions related to TCB, and floundered a bit there. I haven't really trained myself to sell TCB properly yet.

-Erik

03-22-2007 at 05:04 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I'm currently about halfway through.
One thing that hit me.. Erik said 'King Doogan's Dungeon'. With an 'oo' sound. I've *always* said it in my head as 'King Duggan's Dungeon'. Man, it sounds so weird when something is pronounced differently to how you've thought it for so many years..
03-22-2007 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
TripleM wrote:
One thing that hit me.. Erik said 'King Doogan's Dungeon'. With an 'oo' sound. I've *always* said it in my head as 'King Duggan's Dungeon'. Man, it sounds so weird when something is pronounced differently to how you've thought it for so many years..

I was going to mention that as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been pronounced "Duggan" in some canonical hold speech?

03-22-2007 at 06:19 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Well I've always pronounced it deugan's dungeon for some reason.

Anyway, it was an interesting podcast, although for those of you who are familiar with DROD might want to skip to 34:00ish for all the juicy info, and Erik seems to have warmed up a bit and cut down on the uums.
03-22-2007 at 06:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Rabscuttle wrote:
Two months = I can go on holidays and not having to worry about it coming out while I'm gone LIKE IT DID LAST TIME.
Oh, didn't you get the memo? CaravelSat is monitoring your house from geostationary orbit. When you leave with luggage, and if you're not back within 15 hours, the trained lemmings flip the switch, and the SHIP NOW! light goes on at Mission Control.
03-22-2007 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
I expected Erik to sound like Beethro...

-Insane
03-22-2007 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Insane wrote:
I expected Erik to sound like Beethro...
That would be Sten Ryason.

Erik's voice has been available for a long time in Whistler, by the way.
03-22-2007 at 03:05 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Interview with Erik (+2)  
TripleM wrote:
You mean DROD isn't pronounced "D ROD"?!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-22-2007 03:21 PM]
03-22-2007 at 03:21 PM
Albert
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
RoboBob3000 wrote:
TripleM wrote:

I was going to mention that as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been pronounced "Duggan" in some canonical hold speech?

Beethro mentions Dugan's name in the first secret room of JtRH. I've always heard that as Doogan, because that's how I would have pronounced it, but now that I listen to it again he might be saying Duggan. It's kind of hard to tell.
03-22-2007 at 03:28 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Albert wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:
TripleM wrote:

Beethro mentions Dugan's name in the first secret room of JtRH. I've always heard that as Doogan, because that's how I would have pronounced it, but now that I listen to it again he might be saying Duggan. It's kind of hard to tell.
Yeah, I recall it being misspoken in one or two early recordings. In DROD, Dugan should be pronounced "Doo-gan".

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-22-2007 03:48 PM]
03-22-2007 at 03:29 PM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
I got mentioned! That makes me feel ... well, both excited and sad. Excited that my contribution was worth mentioning, and sad that once I no longer had access to a Windows machine that I dropped off the map.

Oh, and I have always pronounced my last name (Duggan) with a long-u sound, just like King Dugan. I have head others with the same name pronounce it with a short-u sound. The basic principle here is that when it comes to names, pronunciation rules can get thrown out the window.

03-22-2007 at 03:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Incidentally, I would assume that if we were worried about continuity, 'dug-gan' is what people say to tick the guy off.
03-22-2007 at 04:18 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
As an aside, when I was listening to the interview, I couldn't help picture Kurt Cobain speaking about his latest tour. Bizarre maybe, but a compliment nonetheless :)
03-22-2007 at 07:50 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Syntax wrote:
As an aside, when I was listening to the interview, I couldn't help picture Kurt Cobain speaking about his latest tour. Bizarre maybe, but a compliment nonetheless :)
...Erik's not dead... :?

03-22-2007 at 11:28 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Maybe Kurt Cobain is Elvis!

03-22-2007 at 11:46 PM
Perndog
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
And Erik is neither.
03-23-2007 at 11:38 PM
Insane
Mattcrampy is Kurt Cobain.

-Insane
03-24-2007 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
:tumbleweed:
03-24-2007 at 11:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Insane wrote:

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I can also see how this would confuse and worry a lot of people. I know I'm sick of playing "Teen Spirit" on the stage every night, but at the same time it's not like I'm dating Courtney Love or entertaining thoughts of self-harm. (Although, you know, going out with Courtney Love isn't an appealing prospect.)

03-26-2007 at 04:38 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Mattcrampy wrote:
Insane wrote:
I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I can also see how this would confuse and worry a lot of people. I know I'm sick of playing "Teen Spirit" on the stage every night, but at the same time it's not like I'm dating Courtney Love or entertaining thoughts of self-harm. (Although, you know, going out with Courtney Love isn't an appealing prospect.)
And, of course, the Elvis who died was really Sebastian Haff and the real Elvis is living depressed in an East Texas nursing home... :lol

03-26-2007 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I for one am disappointed in this thread.
That is all.

03-27-2007 at 12:32 AM
Insane
Briareos wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
Insane wrote:
And, of course, the Elvis who died was really Sebastian Haff and the real Elvis is living depressed in an East Texas nursing home... :lol

Sneaky link.

-Insane
03-29-2007 at 01:45 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I was a bit disappointed that the sound volume was a bit low. It was so bad that I couldn't hear any of it during my train trip.

I think I'll listen to it later.

03-29-2007 at 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Interview with Erik
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com