Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Tilesets
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
IP: Logged
icon New Tilesets (0)  
Just so you know, this isn't anything that would change the gameplay, but it might be nice if DROD had some new tilesets. If this idea is implemented, then perhaps everyone can post their idea for a new tileset in this thread.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-14-2003 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: New Tilesets (0)  
It would make more sense instead for there to be some kind of "tileset editor" where the architect can choose the tiles from a simple palette. They can then choose the 2x2 block they want to use and what color it would be. Probably not too difficult to implement...and actually I remember that someone else made a new tileset that was really strange, but he did it on his own and it actually replaced whatever the Level 1 tileset is.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-14-2003 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: New Tilesets (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
It would make more sense instead for there to be some kind of "tileset editor" where the architect can choose the tiles from a simple palette. They can then choose the 2x2 block they want to use and what color it would be. Probably not too difficult to implement...and actually I remember that someone else made a new tileset that was really strange, but he did it on his own and it actually replaced whatever the Level 1 tileset is.

Game on,
That would be me again :D

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=926

I made a couple actually (and a few variations) There was an insanely colourful funfair/primary coloured brick thing for which I recieved a deserved kicking, and a padded cell tileset I was quite pleased with, but obviously wasn't offensive enough, since I didn't recieve a single reply :P

I've half finished a hedge-maze type tileset, but haven't touched it in ages. Maybe I'll have another look at some point. It was definitely more muted than previous efforts. DROD is a very stark game, and I think it would be nice to get some more natural looking tilesets in there. That'll only really be a possibility when we have a range of floor tiles/building elements to choose from, and shadows are seperate from the tiles themselves.

On a similar note, it would also be very nice if we could have double-resolution tiles (if the game ran at 1280x960, existing tilesets could be re-used at 2x magnification) Anyone developing a high res tileset would need to create a low res version as well. Intermediate resolutions would be more difficult, and would necessitate re-doing all the original tile art to support it. Current tiles are 14x14 pixels. For 1024x768 support, they'd have to be a maximum of 22x22. And of course for 1280x960, they'd be 28x28.

[Edited by StuartK on 09-14-2003 at 06:04 AM]
09-14-2003 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Tilesets
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com