Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Conveyor Belts
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
IP: Logged
icon Conveyor Belts (0)  
I thought up this idea a while ago, and now I'm going to talk about it. The conveyor belt is to move anything moveable in the direction it's moving. I've made a couple variations of my conveyor belt idea:

-It moves whoever is on it the turn it moves on.
-It moves them one turn later, meaning the belt movement will also happen besides whatever move is made by whoever's on it.
-Conveyor belts have paths, and anyone on them can't move until they've reached the end.

What do you think?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-14-2003 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Conveyor Belts (0)  
These sound similar to both Forcing Arrows, and a previous idea by you, I believe. That said, I don't like the "can't get off" thing for a conveyor belt. Also, there may need to be a movement clarification. I'm a bit confused. Does the belt move twice in one turn? So, Beethro could then move three times in one turn? Or is it a one time thing, where Beethro steps on, moves, and then can make a move?

Also, what would you do if a snakes head were to get onto a conveyor belt? What of tar growth? Would the graphics be sufficient for somebody to determine which way it goes?

09-14-2003 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
icon Re: Re: Conveyor Belts (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
These sound similar to both Forcing Arrows, and a previous idea by you, I believe. That said, I don't like the "can't get off" thing for a conveyor belt. Also, there may need to be a movement clarification. I'm a bit confused. Does the belt move twice in one turn? So, Beethro could then move three times in one turn? Or is it a one time thing, where Beethro steps on, moves, and then can make a move?

I think it would be best that the belts moved last and just once per turn, and anyone moving on would be forced in the direction of the belt in contrast with whatever move they make. For instance, if Beethro was on a north-moving belt, and you pressed the button to make him go east, he'd go northeast.

Also, what would you do if a snakes head were to get onto a conveyor belt? What of tar growth? Would the graphics be sufficient for somebody to determine which way it goes?

Let's say that serpents on belts would have the same kind of movement as Beethro, except that on a diagonal belt (which I'm not sure if there should be one), serpents would randonmly be moved in one of the two cardinal directions making up the intermediate one.

Let's say tar is too heavy for the belts, so it is unaffected. If not, it would be like Beethro and serpents, becoming tar babies wherever it isn't wide enough.

As for the graphics thingy, I'd have to think about it.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-16-2003 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
icon Re: Conveyor Belts (0)  
Please, no diagonal conveyor belts, the graphics would be a horror. You'd need 12 new tile types instead of 4, for one. You'd need to place three tiles for each diagonal "tile" of conveyor belt.

09-16-2003 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Re: Conveyor Belts (0)  
NoahT wrote:
I think it would be best that the belts moved last and just once per turn, and anyone moving on would be forced in the direction of the belt in contrast with whatever move they make. For instance, if Beethro was on a north-moving belt, and you pressed the button to make him go east, he'd go northeast.
Does this mean the conveyor belt "moves first"?

Let's say that serpents on belts would have the same kind of movement as Beethro, except that on a diagonal belt (which I'm not sure if there should be one), serpents would randonmly be moved in one of the two cardinal directions making up the intermediate one.
Randomisation is bad in DROD. You could get round this by useing the "5 move rule" - serpents switch between horizontal/vertical behaviors as the preferred movement every 5 moves.

09-16-2003 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Conveyor Belts (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Does this mean the conveyor belt "moves first"?

Yes.

Randomisation is bad in DROD. You could get round this by useing the "5 move rule" - serpents switch between horizontal/vertical behaviors as the preferred movement every 5 moves.

Oh yeah, I'd forgot about the DROD+Random=Bad thingy. :twak:-O:twak Anyway, Sokko said two posts back that there shouldn't be diagonal belts, which I agree with, so the "5 move rule" is no longer an issue.

-Noah

My stuff:

09-20-2003 at 01:26 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Conveyor Belts
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com