Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : #1 Most Wanted - Losing the Text
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged

File: Claythro corrupt dats.zip (431.3 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Other
icon Re: #1 Most Wanted - Losing the Text (0)  
Very well, here are my .dats.
09-18-2003 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I think I speak for everyone here:

S**T!!!

:evilmad:

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-18-2003 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Right, only with more exclamation marks.

09-19-2003 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: #1 Most Wanted - Losing the Text (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
Very well, here are my .dats.
Thanks. The stderr.txt you sent says that you had a segmentation fault (i.e. DROD crashed). When did that happen?!

For everyone who has lost their text (come on...own up!), do you have a similar thing, or something (new) written in your drod.err?

[Edited by mrimer on 09-20-2003 at 12:43 AM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-20-2003 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: #1 Most Wanted - Losing the Text (0)  
mrimer wrote:
The stderr.txt you sent says that you had a segmentation fault (i.e. DROD crashed). When did that happen?!

Wait...didn't I include my stderr.txt file in my .zip file above? Oops, I guess it was just the drod.err file. I could have sworn I mentioned that it said Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed) somewhere though...yep, it's right there in the post before Clayton's, buried deep in my ramblings. Sorry, I should have known it was pretty important and so made it more clear.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-20-2003 at 12:43 AM
ClaytonW
mrimer wrote:
The stderr.txt you sent says that you had a segmentation fault (i.e. DROD crashed). When did that happen?!

There was no crash. I distinctly remember closing DROD because I was going to sleep for the night. However, on some occassions when I close DROD a small black box appears in the top-left corner, and the game closes a wee-bit quicker than usual. That was the case when I closed the game that night. This has happened many times though, never with the text-loss accompaniment.
09-20-2003 at 04:33 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: #1 Most Wanted - Losing the Text (0)  
Clayton's description sounds like an access violation during exit.

-Erik

09-20-2003 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
That's indeed very observant, Clayton. (some developer talk here) I'm wondering whether the DB text info is getting corrupted, and then when it tries to save the text info to disk on closing DROD, the DB crashes during the write and the app closes anyway. So it appears like a normal exit, but when you open DROD the next time, then you see that the text info wasn't completely saved to disk and the text file's been corrupted. In short, it "looks" like DROD quits normally, but some bug has occurred and it doesn't rear its ugly head until the info is saved out to disk on exit.

But I'm not sure...what DB commits would occur on exit that hadn't happened before? Hmm...another question for Clayton! What screen did you exit from: did you click on the "X" to close from the game, or from the editor, or did you go back to the Title screen and click on Quit or hit esc, or...? Anyone else who's lost text could also mention what in way they usually exit the app...and if they recall what they were doing on exit the time before they noticed the text was gone.

(Since I'm rambling: another possibility, since this is an SDL exception, is that something weird is happening with deiniting the graphics from a certain screen on exit, catching the Metakit save in the middle and interrupting it... Saving the DB stuff before deiniting the graphics might avoid this...although of course this wouldn't fix it or be the ideal solution. BTW, which libs use threads? SDL doesn't, does it? Does Metakit? Or just the sound?)

[Edited by mrimer on 09-20-2003 at 05:04 AM]

09-20-2003 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I think that I was in the editor either making a room or playtesting it (for a smoke test), and I usually quit by hitting Escape a bunch of times.

Game on,

09-20-2003 at 06:07 AM
ClaytonW
mrimer wrote:
Hmm...another question for Clayton! What screen did you exit from: did you click on the "X" to close from the game, or from the editor, or did you go back to the Title screen and click on Quit or hit esc, or...?

I was in the editor, and I hit Escape until the "Are you sure?" box, then I pushed "y." That's how I exit because I always play in full screen.

I hope you're on the right track to finding this bug!

09-20-2003 at 06:26 PM
ClaytonW
mrimer wrote:
Hmm...another question for Clayton! What screen did you exit from: did you click on the "X" to close from the game, or from the editor, or did you go back to the Title screen and click on Quit or hit esc, or...?

I was in the editor, and I hit Escape until the "Are you sure?" box, then I pushed "y." That's how I exit because I always play in full screen.

I hope you're on the right track to finding this bug!

09-20-2003 at 06:26 PM
mrimer
ClaytonW wrote:
This really mystifies me, because if you keep hitting escape it doesn't even show the "Are you sure?" box. It just quits. So if you had to hit "Y" to exit, it must not have been by hitting escape. Maybe you're using an earlier build that still popped up the "Are you sure?" box when hitting escape from the title screen. (Not to argue, but I'd like to be as precise as possible to track this down!)

09-20-2003 at 07:22 PM
Oneiromancer
ClaytonW wrote:
Hey, the missing text bug is still there in build 45. I just got nailed 10 minutes ago. Windows ME.

For me, it was Build 40.

Game on,

09-20-2003 at 07:30 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
ClaytonW wrote:
Hey, the missing text bug is still there in build 45.
Clayton, could you verify that this is build 45 you saw this in?
The DROD.EXE you are running should have a file date of 9/16/03. You can see it Windows Explorer. It probably is 45, but since you are the only one that has reported the bug in build 45, I want to be sure.

-Erik

09-20-2003 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: #1 Most Wanted - Losing the Text (0)  
mrimer wrote:This really mystifies me, because if you keep hitting escape it doesn't even show the "Are you sure?" box. It just quits. So if you had to hit "Y" to exit, it must not have been by hitting escape. Maybe you're using an earlier build that still popped up the "Are you sure?" box when hitting escape from the title screen. (Not to argue, but I'd like to be as precise as possible to track this down!)

Sorry, what I meant was I go to the title screen, push "Q", then "Y." Sorry about that. I didn't know that Escape at the title screen exits completely. I'll do that from now on. ^_^
09-21-2003 at 06:27 AM
ClaytonW
ErikH2000 wrote:
Clayton, could you verify that this is build 45 you saw this in?
The DROD.EXE you are running should have a file date of 9/16/03. You can see it Windows Explorer. It probably is 45, but since you are the only one that has reported the bug in build 45, I want to be sure.

I've double-checked. It is indeed build 45.
09-21-2003 at 06:29 AM
mrimer
Do you guys who lost the text run DROD in full screen or windowed mode? And, specifically, the time before you noticed the text was gone, what mode were you running in?

09-22-2003 at 06:31 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I was running DROD in windowed mode when I lost the text.

09-22-2003 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I always run in windowed mode, unless I am doing a smoke test. Even then, I just do the back-and-forth check before working exclusively in windowed mode. I suppose it is possible that I hadn't quit DROD after doing the switch when I got the corruption, but I doubt it.

Game on,

09-22-2003 at 06:54 PM
mrimer
Just for closure and to make sure everyone who's interested sees this: this bug has been fixed in the 1.6.2 release. And there was much rejoicing. Yayyyyy. (If anyone sees this bug again using this or a later version, please mention it.)

11-16-2003 at 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : #1 Most Wanted - Losing the Text
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com