Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How to conquer the high score table.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon How to conquer the high score table. (+3)  
For a new player signing up to CaravelNet for the first time the high score table can look very daunting. There are 43 pages with 849 players, so how do you get started?

If this is the first time you have had a CaravelNet account you may already have a head start. Did you play any holds before signing up for the account? If you did, then from the DROD main menu, click "Settings" and then "Upload my scores". Any demos you have sitting around will be uploaded to the Caravel server and straight onto your high scores.

The next thing to do is take a look at the hold page, sorted by difficulty and pick some easy holds to play through. This will allow you to quickly increase your move count which will gain at least one point per room and give you some valuable experience that will help with the more difficult holds when the time comes.

Don't be afraid to watch demos. For a new player to DROD there will always be a lot to learn, so take advantage of those who have been there before. After you complete a room, return to it and press F6, this will bring up the Demo screen. From here you can select one of the top scores for the room to download and watch. Pay attention to how the top scorers approach a room, different strategies will often improve scores by a vast amount. Try to use these strategies to your advantage in other rooms.

Keep playing! If you want to make a serious assault on the high score table, it is going to take a lot of time. If you get stuck in a hold, don't be afraid to ask for help, but on the other hand, don't be afraid to leave that room until later and try another hold for a while. The room that is very difficult now might be simple when you look at it later.

Set achievable targets. Maybe you can aim to move up a page in the tables. How about aiming to complete a certain amount of rooms. Setting targets like this will help to keep you motivated. Sometimes it will seem like all the effort is getting you nowhere, but every room helps.

Don't forget that the higher you move up the table, the further away the next step becomes. You need to be determined if you're going to make it all the way.

Keep in mind, that as your skills improve you will start to get better scores in each room. The following list shows how many points you can expect for each room you complete.
1st - 17 points
2nd - 13 points
3rd - 10 points
4th - 8 points
5th - 6 points
6th - 4 points
7th - 3 points
8th - 2 points
9th or worse - 1 point

The most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN. That's why we're all here after all. When you get your first #1 score it will be worth the effort you have put in to learn the techniques and skills needed to survive.

These thoughts are based on my own experience of working my way up to my current rank of 8th place in the high score table. I reached the top 20 in Sept 2006 after much effort. But things didn't get any easier from there up. At times I was playing as best I could, but dropping backwards down the table, other times I got fed up playing and had a break for a while. Fortunately I couldn't keep away for too long and kept coming back. I have seen people saying on the forum that it is impossible for anyone to come from behind and be amongst the top players, but that isn't true. Anyone can make it with determination and effort. I work a full time job and I'm married with a child. If I can do it anyone can!

See you all in the high score tables.

Steve.
03-01-2007 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1914
icon Re: How to conquer the high score table. (+1)  
Darn, now everyone is going to be in the top ten.. :lol
03-01-2007 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: How to conquer the high score table. (0)  
larrymurk wrote:
Darn, now everyone is going to be in the top ten.. :lol
Well, then they'll be in the top ten *and* the bottom ten *at the same time*. Freaky. :D

np: Miwon - Pale Glitter (Pale Glitter)

03-01-2007 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Well, I've just moved into the top 150, and I'm pretty happy about it! :thumbsup

One thing is bothering me: I've completed "The Land of Sand" but my high scores page still has it listed as explored but unconquered (at 94%). Any idea why this could be so?

I'm still trying to get to the level 12 secret room, too!

BbJ

03-09-2007 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
bflatjeff wrote:
One thing is bothering me: I've completed "The Land of Sand" but my high scores page still has it listed as explored but unconquered (at 94%). Any idea why this could be so?
Hmm. Start up DROD and make sure you're connected to CaravelNet (green check, etc.). Restore to the last room in the hold and go down the stairs again. Check back on your High Scores page and see if that helped.

Also, push the Upload Scores button on your settings screen in-game, and check to see whether that changes your High Scores page. Make sure to look at the bottom of the 'My Scores' tab to see whether it added any "Unverified demos (yours)".

03-10-2007 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Wait - #1s earn the scorer rank points? :blink

03-10-2007 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Uh, no. Not sure exactly what here is confusing you, but #1s give you points which influence your ranking in the High Scores list. Rank Points (displayed at the left of every post) are pretty much just about the forum, and can be earned for good posts, from contests, and a few other ways.
03-10-2007 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
OK, didn't think so, thanks.
schep wrote:
Not sure exactly what here is confusing you,
This:
Stephen4Louise wrote:
The following list shows how many points you can expect for each room you complete.

03-10-2007 at 05:54 AM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Right, there are points, but they are in no way connected to rank points. It's two different games, rank points allowing us to see the respected members of the forum, and highscore points allowing us to see the respected members of the highscores. They are both connected to Caravel, but have no effect on one another.
03-10-2007 at 06:17 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian wrote:
This:
Stephen4Louise wrote:
The following list shows how many points you can expect for each room you complete.
Ummm... have you ever visited this page, which is linked to via the trophy below each of your posts? The "Score" column in there is what Stephen4Louise meant...

(You might want to revisit every hold you have "100% rooms conquered" in and walk down the end hold stairs again...)

03-10-2007 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
schep wrote:
bflatjeff wrote:
Hmm. Start up DROD and make sure you're connected to CaravelNet (green check, etc.). Restore to the last room in the hold and go down the stairs again. Check back on your High Scores page and see if that helped.

Also, push the Upload Scores button on your settings screen in-game, and check to see whether that changes your High Scores page. Make sure to look at the bottom of the 'My Scores' tab to see whether it added any "Unverified demos (yours)".

Thanks! That did it. Wonder why it didn't go through in the first place? At least now I know what to do about it.

BbJ

03-11-2007 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I just wanted to say that I'm going to try my hand at optimizing for a while. Hopefully I can break into the top 50 after a few years!

Note: I didn't want to start a new topic for such a trivial subject, so I thought I'd post here. Hope that's okay.
03-29-2007 at 08:38 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Ezlo wrote:
I just wanted to say that I'm going to try my hand at optimizing for a while. Hopefully I can break into the top 50 after a few years!

Considering that you're already in the top 75, and that I'm in the Top 50 having put no real effort into optimizing (except on rare occasion), I should think it would happen a lot sooner than that if you put any real effort into it. You might have to fight to get into the top 10, though.

Josh

03-29-2007 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Really? I'm already in the top 75? Last I checked I was in the 120's!
03-29-2007 at 08:49 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Ezlo wrote:
Really? I'm already in the top 75? Last I checked I was in the 120's!
In fact, you're 68th! :D
03-29-2007 at 11:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How to conquer the high score table.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com