Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Linux install won't work (2.0.14)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
piderman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
IP: Logged
icon Linux install won't work (2.0.14) (0)  
I am trying to install DROD:JtrH on Linux. I have downloaded the demo from here.

Now I try to run the .run file, but I get a strange error:

markarts@vhe-430058-laptop:~/DROD$ sh ./DRODJtRHDemoSetup-2.0.14.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Demo Setup...........................[some more dots :)]
./DRODJtRHDemoSetup.sh: 268: /home/markarts/.setup7573: not found
markarts@vhe-430058-laptop:~/DROD$ 

I have checked the script but as far as I can tell it looks quite ok. Can someone tell me what is going wrong here please?

I get the same error when running in sudo mode, or when running it from the uncompressed archive instead of directly from the .run file.

EDIT: Maybe useful to add: I'm running a fresh install of 64-bits Ubuntu 6.10 on a x86_64 architecture.

[Last edited by piderman at 01-24-2007 11:19 PM]
01-23-2007 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Linux install won't work (2.0.14) (0)  
That's odd. I'm running 64-bits Linux myself, so that shouldn't be the problem.. Are you sure the file got downloaded correctly ? (The integrity test only checks the compressed part. What's the md5sum of the .run file ?)

~ Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 01-24-2007 01:16 AM]
01-24-2007 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
piderman
icon Re: Linux install won't work (2.0.14) (+1)  
My md5 tool says
dbc8b27d99a8e6ac3208d963ceb386a0

Both the one I downloaded in Linux and the .run I downloaded in windows, just to check :)

Okay, more testing, and if I run an i686 Linux on my AMD64 it installs just fine :?

I have emailed support@caravelgames.com to request a full version of the game (I have my windows version from when I bought it but I can't seem to find a link to the full versions anywhere), so maybe that will work, but it's still strange of course.

[Last edited by piderman at 01-24-2007 02:47 PM]
01-24-2007 at 01:52 PM
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
Links to the full version downloads are at the bottom of the page you got the demo from.

Steve.
01-24-2007 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
piderman
Yes I read that more but I seriously can't find them. It's all demos and patches :)

DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold Demo v2.0.14 (Linux, x86)
DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon Demo v2.0.14 (Linux, x86)
DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold 2.0.14.1 Patch (Windows)
DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0.14.1 Patch (Windows) 
DROD JtRH/KDD Full/Demo 2.0.14.1 ExePatch (Linux, x86)
DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon 'Neather Repair Patch (Windows)
DROD: Journey To Rooted Hold Demo (Windows)
DROD: Architects' Edition 
DROD: Architects' Edition (Linux, x86)
DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold 2.0.9 Patch (Linux)
French Language Help Files for DROD 2.0.
German Language Help Files for DROD 2.0.

This is the list of links I have, and then there's one to "holds" :) I have a CaravelNet subscription, and I am logged in to the forums with a cookie. In my profile, under "Purchases" I can see all SmS's, but nowhere is there a link to the full version of JtRH itself. :(

In another thread Erik advised someone with the same problem to send an email so that's what I did :)

[Last edited by piderman at 01-24-2007 05:00 PM]
01-24-2007 at 04:57 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
piderman wrote:
This is the list of links I have, and then there's one to "holds" :) I have a CaravelNet subscription, and I am logged in to the forums with a cookie. In my profile, under "Purchases" I can see all SmS's, but nowhere is there a link to the full version of JtRH itself. :(
That's strange - I get another section called "CaravelNet Download" on http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php which lists full downloads for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, with an extra "available only to registered JtRH CaravelNet users." tacked on at the end.

Can't say why you don't seem to get those, though.

np: Jah Wobble & Deep Space - Liquid (Largely Live In Hartlepool And Manchester (Disc 2))

01-24-2007 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
piderman
Is it maybe, because I bought the CaravelNet subscription seperately from JtRH itself? Dunno if that makes sense, but I remember doing that :)
Anyway, my subscription was just renewed and lasts until 20-12-2007 so that can't be the problem :)
01-24-2007 at 07:59 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
When you bought JtRH, you should have gotten an email with a link to enable a one-month trial version of CaravelNet. You need to use that link to associate your order with "piderman" so that the forum knows you've purchased JtRH, and will thus let you download the full version.

If you don't have that link or never got it or something, let me know and I can send it to you.

Edit: Never mind, I just PM'd the link to you - I can see you never activated it.

[Last edited by Schik at 01-24-2007 08:20 PM]
01-24-2007 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
piderman
Ah thanks Schik! That was the problem. Since I bought a one-year subscription straight away, I never used the one-month trial. Now I added it to my subscription just now and I can see the downloads. It's a strange bug, but it's resolved now :D

Back on topic, the install script doesn't work for the full installer either on x86_64 :)

EDIT: Well it's kinda resolved. The install problems were fixed by installing the linux32 and ia32 packages. Now for getting it to run... I really should just install a 32-bit linux. The world isn't ready for 64 bit ;)

[Last edited by piderman at 01-24-2007 11:20 PM]
01-24-2007 at 08:23 PM
trick
piderman wrote:
EDIT: Well it's kinda resolved. The install problems were fixed by installing the linux32 and ia32 packages. Now for getting it to run...
Hm, okay. I'm happy you figured out the installation problem, but it doesn't run now ? What happens when you try to run it ?
I really should just install a 32-bit linux. The world isn't ready for 64 bit ;)
Nonsense :). If DROD has problems working on a 64-bit setup (with 32-bit emulation installed, obviously), that's a bug. You'll just have to beat me with a stick a few times, and I'll hopefully end up fixing it somehow.

~ Gerry

01-25-2007 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
trick wrote:
You'll just have to beat me with a stick a few times, and I'll hopefully end up fixing it somehow.

Do you have something monkey-like that we can poke?
01-25-2007 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
piderman
trick wrote:
What happens when you try to run it ?

It now says something like: "problem loading shared libraries: libasound.so.2: cannot find the file"
I do have the thing there in /usr/lib though.

trick wrote:
Nonsense :). If DROD has problems working on a 64-bit setup (with 32-bit emulation installed, obviously), that's a bug. You'll just have to beat me with a stick a few times, and I'll hopefully end up fixing it somehow.

Well the thing is I know a little about linux, but not much more. So I am not always sure whether it's a fault in my linux installation or with the program I'm trying to run ;)
So when it runs on 32-bit without any problems, I will sometimes take the 'easy' road. But if you have any ideas regarding the problem I would be glad to hear them :)
01-25-2007 at 11:05 AM
trick

File: libSDL-1.2.so.0 (406.3 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
piderman wrote:
Well the thing is I know a little about linux, but not much more. So I am not always sure whether it's a fault in my linux installation or with the program I'm trying to run ;)
So when it runs on 32-bit without any problems, I will sometimes take the 'easy' road. But if you have any ideas regarding the problem I would be glad to hear them :)
Actually it's my fault. I was a bit careless when building the SDL library for 2.0.14, so it requires ALSA in stead of merely supporting it. It'll be fixed for 2.0.15, but in the mean time, you can either install 32-bit versions of the ALSA libraries (if you use ALSA), or download the attached SDL library, delete the libSDL-1.2.so files in Libs where you installed DROD, and put this one there in stead. That should fix it!
coppro wrote:
Do you have something monkey-like that we can poke?
Well, penguins, obviously. Or, well, I don't actually have any penguins, but they're with me in spirit. I do have a toy hedgehog thing, though. It's very soft and pokable. (I also got a kitten made of glass for christmas for some reason, but I don't want people poking that.)

~ Gerry

01-26-2007 at 02:11 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Linux install won't work (2.0.14)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com