Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (and a TCB review on April 10th!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (+3)  
This article was published on www.gamesetwatch.com on January 1st. It is written by Tony "Tablesaw" Delgado in his "Beyond Tetris" column which deals with "puzzle games that transcend mere abstract action and instead plunge deep into the heart of problem-solving.".

Tony gives an outstandingly complete and accurate review of DROD spiced with much praise, including history of all versions since Webfoot, listing CaravelNet features and even some hype for TCB. Read it yourself, it's really good.

[Last edited by Maurog at 04-11-2007 11:23 AM]
01-08-2007 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (0)  
Maurog wrote:
Read it yourself, it's really good.
I concur - too bad I'm already hooked on DROD... :)

01-08-2007 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
What gives it such a delicious irony is that GameSetWatch is affiliated with Gamasutra, which is itself affiliated with the GDC, which in turn is affiliated with the IGDA.

I knew it would have been a good idea to enter JtRH in the IGDA...

01-08-2007 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (+2)  
I knew the name "Tablesaw" sounded familiar...

http://forum.caravelgames.com/member.php?Action=viewprofile&username=Tablesaw

If you look in the blog linked from the article (not the same one as linked from his forum profile), the guy has the same avatar and quote in his signature...so the same person. Who hasn't posted on the forum since August 2005. But obviously DROD still holds a special place in his heart!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 01-08-2007 01:01 PM]
01-08-2007 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I'm a big jerk :(

sorry!

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-08-2007 01:35 PM]
01-08-2007 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I like it when we get reviews like this written by people that are serious DROD players. It doesn't happen too often. Most reviewers don't have time to play the game for more than an hour or two. Clearly, Tony has been into DROD for a long time and knows what it's about.

-Erik

01-08-2007 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (+1)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
I'm a big jerk :(

sorry!

So, Rabscuttle, did you go and do this after reading this guy's article?

By the way, I'm excessively (and probably unjustifiably) proud of my #1 score in Labyrinthitis (JtRH version): Secret Underground Passages: 1S1W.

Just so you know.

(And I was fairly proud of my #1 score in Treasure Hunt Master Quest: Tomb Escaper: 5W...until someone took it away from me.)

Josh

;)

01-08-2007 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ohh man! That's... That's not nice at all of you, Rabscuttle O:-

But it IS funny
01-08-2007 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I have to say that this review would scare me away if I had never heard of DROD. It makes us sound like a bunch of elitists. Which some of us are (I still hope Erik's quote was out of context), but there's plenty for a not-truly-hardcore player like me, too.

01-09-2007 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Also noteworthy, if anybody remembers The Puzzle Boat:
Acknowledgements

A big thanks to the three people who test-solved these puzzles, Tablesaw, Fuldu, and Tahnan.

01-09-2007 at 02:15 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
I have to say that this review would scare me away if I had never heard of DROD. It makes us sound like a bunch of elitists. Which some of us are (I still hope Erik's quote was out of context), but there's plenty for a not-truly-hardcore player like me, too.
It actually seems more of a blog on DROD than a review, IMHO, and I would have to agree that the use of the word 'Hardcore', the talk of intense competition and the hunger for ever increasing difficulty does put us in an interesting life. I personally would be more scared of DROD than interested in it from that article, although for someone who already knows about DROD, but is fairly new to it, this would be a good article to show them the ropes.

As for Erik's reply, it actually came from the December illumination, and isn't totally out of context, but I suggest you read that thread before you judge it for yourself.
01-09-2007 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tablesaw
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
icon Re: Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (+3)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
I knew the name "Tablesaw" sounded familiar...

http://forum.caravelgames.com/member.php?Action=viewprofile&username=Tablesaw

If you look in the blog linked from the article (not the same one as linked from his forum profile), the guy has the same avatar and quote in his signature...so the same person. Who hasn't posted on the forum since August 2005. But obviously DROD still holds a special place in his heart!
Just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I don't still read. I just haven't been keeping track for a while, and when I do read, I rarely find I have something to say that hasn't already been mentioned.

My pedigree: I started with DROD in the Webfoot version. I can't recall precisely when I started, but I remember having to download a demo from Beethro's Roasted Roach Grill to get past the tar level. I wasn't able to complete the game until Caravel DROD. It took me until after AE was released, but I refused to upgrade until I'd beaten it.

As for the other comments:

GSW columns generally take a hardcore/elitist bent, and mine is no different. Really, it's hard to have a non-elitist voice when the defining concept of the column is that Tetris doesn't deserve to be called a puzzle game. Accordingly, I focused on the greater depth the game's puzzles have developed over the years, instead of the more product-specific aspects like humor and improved graphics. I do recommend DROD to my non-puzzle-obsessed friends, and that pitch tends not to mention "optimization puzzles."

Also, I was inspired by Erik's "Lost Tribe" Illumination, which is why it got such a long quotation. All of the games discussed in "Beyond Tetris" are meant for the same Lost Tribe.

Rabscuttle's improvement will be grudgingly mentioned in a "Beyond Tetris" errata column sometime this week (along with a mention of Smitemastery 101). I was very torn about displaying my #1s so prominently. Clearly, my fears were well-founded. Ah well, I'll always have KDD 19:2S. (I will, right?)

Yes, I was a tester for The Puzzle Boat, and I just recently collaborated with GregB as part of the team running the 2007 MIT Mystery Hunt. Also, I've agreed to collaborate on a new "Intercoastal Altercations" for later this year. The agreement was made over drinks, but it was only the first round, so I think it still stands.

01-18-2007 at 01:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Tablesaw, I hope you don't think I was doubting your veracity...the fact that I remembered you after such a long posting drought means that your posts made an impression on me. Or maybe just your signature, who knows. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-18-2007 at 10:16 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Tablesaw wrote:Rabscuttle's improvement will be grudgingly mentioned in a "Beyond Tetris" errata column sometime this week (along with a mention of Smitemastery 101). I was very torn about displaying my #1s so prominently. Clearly, my fears were well-founded. Ah well, I'll always have KDD 19:2S. (I will, right?)

I just wanted to see your demo! Except my finger slipped! uh, 47 times?

Man, KDD L19:2S is one that I thought I'd optimised over 2 years ago. I remember being surprised when it was beaten.
If revenge is a dish best served cold, I think this one has been left in the back of the fridge and has gone moldy.
01-18-2007 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Mentioned at GameSetWatch again on April 10th (+2)  
And Tony Delgado does it again! His column has the first TCB review ever, with only 10 days since its (unofficial) release. He goes into great detail describing the new features and elements, and since at the time of writing he reached Rocky Hollow, he knows what he's talking about. Changes from JtRH, advice to newbies, awesome screenshots, the review has it all. Two thumbs up! :thumbsup

04-11-2007 at 11:35 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (+1)  
According to the CaravelNet statistics (which can be a bit unreliable), I'm about four-fifths through the game, and I've encountered all of the new elements I've seen in the level editor
Heh, if only he knew...
04-11-2007 at 11:46 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Oh dear. I hope Mike gets the first patch and whatever changes they're going to make to the TCB demo done soon!

04-11-2007 at 11:37 PM
ErikH2000
4/20/07 - Carl added another installment to his series of TCB posts. If you haven't made it to the third gate yet, be careful--there are numerous spoilers here!

-Erik

04-21-2007 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
ErikH2000 wrote:
4/20/07 - Carl added another installment to his series of TCB posts. If you haven't made it to the third gate yet, be careful--there are numerous spoilers here!
Oops, I meant to post this in the other topic.

-Erik

04-21-2007 at 01:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Mentioned at GameSetWatch on January 1st (and a TCB review on April 10th!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com