Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Count Theme's Dungeon (Variety)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.9/10 (25 votes)
σ 1.97
Author Name:Tokyokid
Submitted By:tokyokid
Hold Name:Count Theme's Dungeon
Theme:Variety
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:19
Number of Rooms:277
Number of Monsters:4120
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+1 / -1)
Poster Message
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
IP: Logged
icon Re: Count Theme's Dungeon (0)  
Thanks, guys. :)
The Cave of Time was only meant as a filler, or a break, until the harder levels came in. It is probobly one of the low points of the hold. Glad you enjoyed the trapdoor puzzels!
12-04-2006 at 01:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
As a suggestion, if you know it's filler....why keep it in? I don't think holds need filler, as people can step away to put in filler of their own at any time. Like eating, sleeping, or taking care of little babies.

If a room is inherently not interesting, even to the architect, then I think the architect should remove it. Note: a not-interesting room can be interesting in relation to other rooms, as you do a couple of times (NW corner of Roach Pit I, for example.)

I, for one, really liked the Cave of Time...except for the roaches that disappeared on various entrances. That was strange and unpredictable.

I dug the hold...except for some unpredictable scripting.

12-04-2006 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Count Theme's Dungeon (+1)  
So, I've mastered this hold, and I must say I have very mixed feelings about it, for reasons already mentioned by others.

There is a lot I like about this hold. There are quite a few fun, interesting rooms. There are several rooms which I consider excellent. Especially, the trapdoor mazes stand out (except for the scripted monsters in some of them) - Tokyokid really managed to make interesting variants of a generally tired puzzle, and I really appreciated that.

But there's an equal amount of bad. There are a lot of "filler" rooms, rooms which are not interesting to anyone. There are even more rooms which would work fine as part of a hold designed to be very easy, but just don't fit in between medium level rooms which are found all over the place.

And the scripting abuses - well, they were just ugly and didn't add anything.

I think that if Tokyokid, instead of trying to create a huge hold, chose only the interesting rooms, and got rid of all the "fillers" - and not used the stupid scripting tricks - it would have been an excellent hold. I could have easily given it an 8, maybe a 9. Now, I give the hold 4 brains and an overall score of 5, since half the rooms in the hold deserve an 8 and the other half deserves a 2, so that's the average.

12-05-2006 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
I just finished the hold, and I was going to post feedback, but instead I'll just point up at eytanz' post since that says everything I wanted to.

I don't know why you seem to feel obligated to make all of your holds gigantic, tokyokid. Cut out the really boring rooms and the really trivial rooms, resist all temptations to make any scripting other than characters talking, and you'd have a great (and still pretty big) hold.

That said, this is by far the best tokyokid hold I've played. I was pleasantly surprised.
12-06-2006 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
icon Re: Count Theme's Dungeon (+1)  
Okay, yeah, now I really regreat leaving in the bad rooms. I'll remember that in my next hold, and it won't be super-big, either. :)
12-06-2006 at 01:09 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Played it and finished it last night, and yep, it's all been said. The trapdoors were the highlight and the monsters that appeared out of nowhere were the lowlife. :)

12-06-2006 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Wow, I'm really surprised that you guys liked the trapdoor puzzles the best! I didn't think that I was that good at making them... thanks anyway! :D
12-06-2006 at 10:06 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, just completed it (80% secrets) and I gotta say what a great job. You've come some way in architecture!

I personally prefer long holds and can only think of 1 room with dodgy scripting (the snake and bomb room) so have little negative thoughts on this hold.

As I've said before, the trapdoor puzzles were the highlight.

Keep up the good work!

Overall 8 with 3.5 difficulty.
12-10-2006 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
After playing through this again after forgetting everything from the Beta Board, I still give it a 4B/7R. But it is a bit funny to hear the new Finale music playing while fighting the last boss.
04-19-2007 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Count Theme's Dungeon (Variety)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com