Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Do you like unintended solutions? (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which makes you feel smartest?
Solving puzzles as the architect intended.
Finding multiple solutions that the architect allowed for.
Finding unintended solutions and possibly wreaking havoc with the highscores!
What do you think of unintended solutions?
They're great!
As long as the puzzle isn't trivialized.
NO. Multiple solutions should mean multiple rooms.
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Do you like unintended solutions? (0)  
This is just a quick little poll to generate discussion. As such, it's not guaranteed to be perfectly designed.

11-13-2006 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Do you like unintended solutions? (0)  
Yay unintended solutions! They rock! :D
11-13-2006 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I'm flip-flopping on the first one. If the architect truly intended what I thought was an "unintended" solution, then it's probably really good design, and I enjoy that. But I enjoy so much more finding something that the architect says "Whoa!" or even "Dammit!" that much more.

11-13-2006 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
In my hold I was doing so well on before I had to reformat Linux (My god, I fail at installing drivers), I was trying for more--Like, you can do it really easily, but only if you're really really not trying to be optimal.

So, if you wanna take about 300 turns more, the room is a piece of cake, otherwise....?
11-13-2006 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I like unintended solutions but not trivial solutions.

11-13-2006 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I like 'em, unless they're really trivial.

Or, to be more precise, I like "1st Place!!!" popping up at the top of the screen, when the old #1 was held by one of the usual suspects... ;)

(Not that this ever happens... :D

Playing a second time through Roaches Revenge when all scores were queued for reverification was fun, though... ;))

11-13-2006 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Well I like 'unintended' solutions, but if they are clumsy and simple, trivial or very sneaky, it makes me think less of the hold.
Basically, as an architect I think that you should avoid them. There are exceptions, but that's the general rule.
11-13-2006 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
Well I like 'unintended' solutions, but if they are clumsy and simple, trivial or very sneaky, it makes me think less of the hold.
Basically, as an architect I think that you should avoid them. There are exceptions, but that's the general rule.
I agree on the first 3, but "sneaky unintended solutions" are probably those the architect didn't think of...

At least I don't think people plan unintended solutions when making holds... ;)

11-13-2006 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
The main variety of unintended solutions I really dislike are the "fight through tar for a few thousand turns, drop the green door, create a new tar baby, exit through the green-door exit, come back in, kill the tar mother in five moves, exit with a high score." All that carefully optimized slogging for nothing.
11-13-2006 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
But that's a really obvious one. If there's a room with just a tar mother in it, I always look for green door exits than would make faster entrances first and if I find one, I don't bother optimizing.

11-13-2006 at 02:04 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
eytanz wrote:
But that's a really obvious one. If there's a room with just a tar mother in it, I always look for green door exits than would make faster entrances first and if I find one, I don't bother optimizing.

OK, sure, but irritating nonetheless.
11-13-2006 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Do you like unintended solutions? (A multiple question poll) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com