Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote on Request a Feature! (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1I mark #1, Legged Queen as6.35294117647062.6555419624225
2I mark #3, Wasp as5.58823529411762.6135129284145
3I mark #2, The Terminator as4.82352941176472.5949111764839
What did you do while rating this hold?
Memorise each entry, highlight interesting information and become a lawyer on the rules PollPollPoll 3 20.00%
Did a quick scan of everything, I'm a busy man PollPollPoll 2 13.33%
do the 'Fuzzy Wuzzy' PollPollPoll 4 26.67%
Email a friend a CD PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Ignore this silly poll PollPollPoll 6 40.00%

I mark #1, Legged Queen as
Average Vote 6.3529411764706
Standard Deviation 2.6555419624225

I mark #2, The Terminator as
Average Vote 4.8235294117647
Standard Deviation 2.5949111764839

I mark #3, Wasp as
Average Vote 5.5882352941176
Standard Deviation 2.6135129284145
Total Votes 20 100%
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Vote on Request a Feature! (0)  
Well, folk's, the time has come to decide which feature request is the best.

I would greatly appreciate it if, as I have said before, if you would:
1. Base your voting criteria on what you think would be the most enjoyable to have in DROD, and thus the most puzzle potential.

2. Please don’t mark according to the complexity or how hard it would be to implement.

3. Bonus points should be given for those who use the daddy long legs concept in an interesting way.

For contestants, you MUST vote yours 10, and then rate the others using the above criteria. As an interesting twist, please also rate your opponents on how different their ideas are to yours.
An example of this would be if you both suggested that this creature use this :) emoticon as its graphic, you could rate it lower than if the other person suggested :w00t as the graphic.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-18-2006 10:00 AM]
10-18-2006 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Contestant #1 (0)  

Name: Legged Queen

Description: The Legged Queen is a brown behemoth, it's torso and head occupying one tile, with each of it's giant brown legs covering a tile two spaces away, spindly beige bones connecting them to it's core - which seems to be on some kind of unnatural swivel.

Movement: The Legged Queen (of which there can only be one per room) consists of itself, and eight legs. The legs start out in the 'Knight' positions relative to the Queen's main body:

*L*L*
L***L
**T**
L***L
*L*L*

The Queen moves orthogonally only, moving it's forward-facing legs on one move, then those forward and to it's sides on the next, then the torso on a third, then the rear-side legs on the fourth, and finally the far rear legs. If something would prevent either leg from moving, the Queen does not move until both legs can move - unless this something is a wall, arrow, monster, Beethro, or similar, in which case it will move it's legs back to the neutral (chess-knight) position, then start a new movement. (It is entirely possible that this new movement will be in the same direction.)

The Queen will always move if it can do so, except that it will always stop in the last five ticks before a spawn cycle if it is in it's 'neutral' position. It will favor starting a move to the left or right on ticks 5-9 and 15-19, up or down on 10-14 and 20-24, and directly away from Beethro (favoring vertical movement) on 0-4. If it cannot follow this timing rule, it will make whatever move it can, favoring (but not nessesarily) moving away from Beethro. The Queen moves after any other monster in play.

An exception to this: When the Queen's torso turns red (see Interaction, below), all legs will pull back into it's normal chessboard position in one move, and it will then skitter (orthogonally only, following the same choosing rules as usual except that it will move directly away from Beethro on 25-29), all legs and the torso moving in one tick if possible. If any one leg (or the torso) can't move, it does not move at all.

Another exception: If the Queen's torso is orthogonally adjacent to any orthogonal tiles, it will choose one of those tiles to move along above all else (followed by the north-south versus east-west timing, followed by avoiding Beethro).

Anything that would prevent a Snake from moving onto a tile will prevent a Legged Queen's legs or torso from moving onto it.

Interaction: Legged Queens do not react to Brains or most other monsters, except that their legs and torso take up tiles as those monsters would.

It's legs, however, count as walls for the purposes of Seep movement locations. Further, the Seep can automatically move with the leg if it does not move off of it (so as to avoid getting killed by moving onto an invalid tile). Seeps on Legged Queen legs effectively turn them into moving seep locks (my name for a puzzle widget of a Seep locked into a single tile, able to strike Beethro if he gets to close, but otherwise unable to move).

To kill a Legged Queen, Beethro must first get it's torso low enough that he can actually strike it's head. While he can easily reach around to whatever side it's facing, he can't really swing it upwards. To lower the Queen, he simply needs to weaken it's supports. If his sword moves onto a Seep-occupied leg, the Seep is removed. If it moves onto an unoccupied Leg, that leg turns red (to indicate it has been sliced), weakening it and bringing the torso down a little. Slicing all eight legs turns the Queen red (sending it into skittering, as described above in Movement), at which point Beethro can simply move his sword onto the Torso to finish it off (all nine pieces explode bloodily, the torso as it was struck and the legs outwardly, at the same time). However, if a Spawn Cycle concludes while the torso is red, all eight legs as well as the Queen's torso return to it's normal beige color, and it returns to normal motion. (If the torso is not red, the legs do not return to beige.)

The Slayer's hook does not effect the legs, but can kill the queen if the Queen is red, as well as seeps in the legs.

If a bomb's explosion strikes all eight legs, the Legged Queen is slain instantly - otherwise, all legs stricken are reddened (but the torso is not).

The Legged Queen is also, well, a Queen - on a spawn cycle, it spawns roach eggs on orthogonally adjacent tiles. These are identical to normal queen's roach eggs other than only spawning in fours.

Puzzle potential:
Four immediately obvious puzzles I can think of with this:
* Tight, closed quarters arena with a Slayer and several Seeps. This forces Beethro to play keep-away from the Slayer, kill the Seeps, then finally finish off the Queen itself.
* Block it in with arrows on every leg (you only need eight with proper placement - block four legs from moving horizontally outward and four more vertically outward) and you have a stationary roach generator with all eight tiles around it open. Adding seeps to the legs makes it a guarded generator.

This will prevent rear legs from moving, always keeping it in an ultimately neutral position.
* Place it in a room full of pre-rotated mimics who are prevented from moving somehow, with no access for Beethro - this forces you to kill it using timed rotations, and possibly movement around this room to keep it moving towards the mimics.
* It's slower motion pattern presumably can present many possibilities for timing puzzles - say, putting the Queen itself on a narrow track of Orthogonal tiles, and causing a roach to spawn in an unreachable location when it reaches the end of that track.

Advantages:
* It's got plenty of obvious puzzle potential (If I can think of four general categories, there's interest to be had from more evil thinkers)
* Drawn right, it can look quite impressive, making a suitable 'giant boss' enemy to fit alongside Slayer and Neather.
* It introduces many new possible widgets.
* Non-brain reactive creature introduces some interesting possible new reactions with brains.

Disadvantages:
* Non-brain reactive creature changes one common DROD rule.
* In bad designs, can be difficult or impossible to kill, but not seem like it.
* It's unusual complexity prohibits there being more than one in a room (otherwise, you introduce the possibility of having two tangled together, which looks at best highly unrealistic and at worst stupid).

Misc: Not much.

Variations:
* A Legged Queen that always skitters
* A Legged Queen that can move each leg independently as long as they stay within three tiles of it
* A Legged Queen that can stomp on Beethro, perhaps combined with the previous gimmack (though Seeps can effectively create this type of Queen)

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-18-2006 10:03 AM]
10-18-2006 at 10:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Contestant #2 (0)  
Name: The Terminator.

Description: It looks like a daddy long legs. Only it has a metalic body like a robot. With LCD screen eyes, it can see things at every angle. And with a laser that comes out its behind (like a web on a regular spider)

Movement:It takes up 4 squares at a time. And moves in any direction 2 squares. It can even jump in N,E,S,or W at least 5 squares.
0=square
S=spider
B=Beethro:

0 0 0 0
0 S S 0
0 S S 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 B 0
it can then move too:

0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
0 S S 0
0 S S 0
0 0 B 0

Interaction: It will attack Beethro as soon as he enters the room. It can even blast through some walls w/ it's laser! Without a brain, it can move only in N,E,S,W and cannot jump. With a brain, it can moved in all 8 directions, and can jump at least 5 squares at a time. If other monsters get in the way of it, it will kill the monsters. When it attacks Beethro, it shoots him with a laser beam!

Puzzle potential:
*Make all the walls crumbly, so The Terminator can blast through them, and put 5 of them in the room and a brain.
*Put 5 in different 4x4 squares surrounded by Pits. They will have to jump to Beethro.

Advantages:
*It can blast through some walls.
*It moves 2 squares per move.
*When it is alone, It attacks better, and sometimes attacks other monsters.

Disadvantages:
*It is not too smart without a brain in the room. (But it is still smarter than a roach.)
*It can only jump once a room.
*When there is more than 1 Terminator in the room, they will tend to attack each other.

MISC: It knows the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything (and it isn't 42.)
10-18-2006 at 10:02 AM
NiroZ
icon Contestant #3 (0)  
Name: Wasp

Description: A yellow and black thing that can only be killed from straight ahead (only it's head is vulnerable).

Movement: It takes up 3 squares and the head acts like a roach queen.

Interaction: If beethro gets next to any part other than its head, Beethro dies. If brained it acts like a brained queen. If a guard get next to the body, the guard dies.

Puzzle potential: Many uses: make sure the head doesn't get stuck somewhere or the room is impossible. Have it kill the guard. Have the guard kill him by going for its head but be careful for it not to go by the body.
10-18-2006 at 10:02 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Vote on Request a Feature! (0)  
Where's my entry? I submitted mine, yet it's not here.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-21-2006 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Where's my entry? I submitted mine, yet it's not here.
Sorry, but you entered after the contest closed for submission. If you can give me a really good reason why I should redo this poll and incude yours, however, I will.
10-22-2006 at 12:19 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Because i have only participated in 2 contests, and it took a while to think up my beast...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-22-2006 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Because i have only participated in 2 contests...[snip]

Ah, this is an unoffical contest, which means you don't get participation credit. check here to see which contests you have been given participation credit.
10-22-2006 at 02:29 AM
Jeff_Ray...
I'm speaking of Holds Al Dente and Limited Resources.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-22-2006 at 02:31 AM
NiroZ
as for your other reason, I checked the timestamps on your posts between the Announcment topic and the submission topic, and there is only an 8 minute difference. Of course, you could argue that you spent time working on this before that.

I guess this is really my fault, as I should have said when this contest was closed to entries, and then chased you up before posting the poll. Indeed if it wasn't for the fact that I have already got the poll underway I would restart this poll with you included.
Thus, I have PM'ed the contestants that are already in, and if they all agree to restart the poll I will.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-22-2006 02:56 AM]
10-22-2006 at 02:55 AM
NiroZ
ok, all three contestants have agreed to restart the poll, so that every that entered can be voted apon.

I'm really sorry about this.
10-23-2006 at 11:15 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote on Request a Feature! (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com