Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Small Diversion (story/scripting, easy rooms, goblins)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.5/10 (28 votes)
σ 2.11
Author Name:silver
Submitted By:silver
Hold Name:A Small Diversion
Theme:story/scripting, easy rooms, goblins
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:63
Number of Monsters:755
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Re: A Small Diversion (0)  
I just mastered this hold, and I have to say: Great first hold, silver!

I know, I spent some time beta-testing it, but to be fair I didn't get to devote much time to it, so most all of this was new to me.

Puzzles were good and writing was excellent.

Overall, I give it an 8 for design and 6.5 brains for difficulty. However, I feel compelled to air my one (small) gripe: there are a few incongruously difficult rooms mixed in with the rest. Nothing super-hard, but a good bit harder than what surrounds them. (The most striking example of this is still Gardens & Laboratories: 1N1W).

Still and all, as you can tell from my rating, this is a pretty minor quibble.

More please!

09-09-2006 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: A Small Diversion (0)  
I've also just finished this hold (not mastered though).

For a first hold, this is really cool. The puzzles were just hard enough, and even though I still don't like goblin levels at all I found I have enough motivation to continue.

The only thing I do want to say, is (spoilery):
Click here to view the secret text

Do I need to master the hold first before the story explains why?

01-21-2007 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: A Small Diversion (+1)  
Let me start out with the fact that it's a good thing I like goblin manipulation, 'cause I intensely dislike spiders. Well, DROD spiders. Real spiders I don't have a problem with.

It took me two years to complete this hold. In fact I had given up shortly after starting the hold because of a "small diversion" in Garden Laboratories 1N, 1W; I just could not solve that maze and somehow never noticed that there is a demo available on H&S. (Thank you disoriented and key-smiter.) But I went back to it recently and I'm glad I did: it is a fun and worthwhile hold to play. Even considering the blasted spiders. :) I wasn't thrilled to realize that I'd have to play through the second half again in order to complete the hold and have a shot at optimal solutions on many rooms. However, considering that I picked up (temporarily at least) three #1's doing it, I'll forgive the architect. And it turned out that it really wasn't that onerous. Overall I give this hold an 8 for fun. Although a couple of rooms were certainly pretty hard (what do you rate a room that takes you two years to solve :D) overall I give it a 5 for difficulty.
06-17-2010 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Small Diversion (story/scripting, easy rooms, goblins)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com