Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<24252627
Page 28 of 32
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
bflatjeff wrote:
Has Chris killed RabidChild?
No, I just helped him move out of the room he's been stuck in the whole game.

He's heading for a similar room on the right side of the pit now...
09-08-2006 at 07:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
So now everyone wants to get out of the center... it's kind of an interesting supply and demand factor going on here, as people want to go where there is more space, but the number of people in the various spaces is constantly changing...

Right now, I've got a very vague central plan, but I'm finding it impossible to do any real planning ahead right now other than trying not to die by freak chance.

This is still a lot of fun.

09-08-2006 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
Chris wrote:
bflatjeff wrote:
Has Chris killed RabidChild?
No, I just helped him move out of the room he's been stuck in the whole game.

He's heading for a similar room on the right side of the pit now...

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't scroll that far over...

goldenlion, remember that pledge I made to return to the center? I think I'd like to retract that. I'm happier out here, thank you.

Jeff

09-08-2006 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
Haha.... yeah, I helped you start a trend, didn't I? Of course, Eytan was thinking that I might be doing you a favor.

Honestly, I think it's evening out now, at least on the left side. I wouldn't want to throw another snake in the mix over there at the moment. This should get very interesting when we hit the endgame stages.

09-08-2006 at 05:49 PM
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
Looks like another snake may be heading out of the center as well.

Click here to view the secret text

09-08-2006 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Chris wrote:
Here's the next update, up to move 239:
I've made a new video up to move 258.

From now on, the latest movie will always be available here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dooglus

I won't mention it again, but I will continue to upload new movies on a vaguely daily basis.
09-08-2006 at 11:08 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I did *not* expect Michthro's entrance. Bflatjeff is now dead, and my fate depends on Michthro's actions.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-08-2006 11:27 PM]
09-08-2006 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
I did *not* expect Michthro's entrance. Bflatjeff is now dead, and my fate depends on Michthro's actions.

Yeah, where did Michthro come from? Totally did not see you coming. I figured eytanz would cut me off, I'd bump north and then out the box to the west, but now you're on that track. Best of luck to you!

Fun contest, and now all my elaborate planning of how to best take advantage of all that empty space to the west is for naught.

Oh well, now I can concentrate on the Killing Jar.

Jeff

09-09-2006 at 03:49 AM
eytanz
bflatjeff wrote:
eytanz wrote:

Yeah, where did Michthro come from? Totally did not see you coming. I figured eytanz would cut me off, I'd bump north and then out the box to the west, but now you're on that track. Best of luck to you!

(Oops - in my original reply I switched East/West)

Nope. Had Michthro not jumped in, I would have turned around in the small box and jumped West myself - you would be occupying the position I am in now, and I would be occupying Michthro's current position (just one turn behind).

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-09-2006 03:56 AM]
09-09-2006 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
aand...Kevin heads out of the center, choosing exile to certain death. Best of luck, Kevin! (although that area is starting to look a little crowded, especially with RabidChild joining in a few moves).

Other than Jason, though, I can't see any other impending deaths.

Where's the fun in that?

09-09-2006 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
McFrugal
Rank Points: 59
I don't think it's possible for a snake to actually enter the 'private coiling area' in the upper left corner of the center. Not without another snake's help anyway.

[Last edited by McFrugal at 09-09-2006 08:55 AM]
09-09-2006 at 08:53 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I'm dead! Yay!

09-09-2006 at 10:42 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
eytanz wrote:
Surprise! You really didn't see me coming? Sorry, bflatjeff, I had to take that opportunity of entering the lower left area.

I don't think there's much I can do about your fate any time soon, eytanz. (Or what am I missing? Quick! Tell me.) Your fate depends on you and a couple of snakes in the middle.

This game is full of surprises, isn't it? I wonder what I'm in for next.
09-09-2006 at 11:29 AM
Chris
McFrugal wrote:
I don't think it's possible for a snake to actually enter the 'private coiling area' in the upper left corner of the center. Not without another snake's help anyway.
At least 14 of the remaining 24 snakes can still enter that area. They all need help getting there, but it's possible.

Here's a short movie of Pinnacle doing it (not that it helps him, 'cos the exit gets blocked):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZrWBewRr4E
09-09-2006 at 11:54 AM
Chris
Chris wrote:
McFrugal wrote:
I don't think it's possible for a snake to actually enter the 'private coiling area' in the upper left corner of the center.
At least 14 of the remaining 24 snakes can still enter that area.
Watcher bumped on turn 265. I think that has now probably made it impossible for any snake to enter the private coiling area. Every way I found of snakes entering the coiling area relied on Watcher jumping on turn 265.
09-09-2006 at 01:15 PM
eytanz
michthro wrote:

I don't think there's much I can do about your fate any time soon, eytanz. (Or what am I missing? Quick! Tell me.) Your fate depends on you and a couple of snakes in the middle.

If you fail to jump now, that would certainly affect me.

09-09-2006 at 02:08 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
For the four snakes on the right side of the arena, there are only three viable exits. I've got one of them no matter what. It looks like Rabidchild is in the most trouble, as is Ostegoelectric(sp).

09-09-2006 at 03:31 PM
jbluestein
And it looks like Eytan is going back into the central arena!

09-09-2006 at 07:52 PM
eytanz
That's likely, but not at all certain.

09-09-2006 at 07:57 PM
Chris
michthro wrote:
Surprise! You really didn't see me coming?

You just surprised me by *not* coming to visit me. I was all prepared for you and everything.
09-09-2006 at 08:22 PM
eytanz
michthro wrote:
eytanz wrote:

At my last decision point it was far from easy to predict it, and once I was committed to the course I wasn't really paying much attention. The advantage of having two-hour long moves is that there's plenty of reaction time for surprises.

09-09-2006 at 08:30 PM
jbluestein
eytanz wrote:

09-09-2006 at 08:45 PM
eytanz
jbluestein wrote:
eytanz wrote:

09-09-2006 at 09:21 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
eytanz wrote:
michthro wrote:
eytanz wrote:

At my last decision point it was far from easy to predict it, and once I was committed to the course I wasn't really paying much attention. The advantage of having two-hour long moves is that there's plenty of reaction time for surprises.

eytanz is going to need that decision time if he relizes that tuttle is 5 moves from forcing him to die if he bumps now and tries to exit. It looks like tuttle is headed right for his exit and he will get there first. Forcing a bump to the right 6 turns from now.

I myself may have made a big mistake turning instead of jumping. I just couldn't see any way out if Hikari followed me in to the right area. I thought I would stand a better chance out in the main arena - I was wrong. Good luck to Hikari the exits are blocking up fast which was what I feared and exiting may not be an option so us every bit of space wisely. :fun

09-09-2006 at 09:21 PM
eytanz
techant wrote:
eytanz wrote:
michthro wrote:
eytanz wrote:

eytanz is going to need that decision time if he relizes that tuttle is 5 moves from forcing him to die if he bumps now and tries to exit. It looks like tuttle is headed right for his exit and he will get there first. Forcing a bump to the right 6 turns from now.

If Tuttle does that I'll be just as dead if I jump now.

09-09-2006 at 09:26 PM
Chris
I wonder if anyone can help explain this little mystery...

Eric wrote that this snake pit was going to start at

Local Time:08-18-2006 at 01:00 AM.

I believe there is (or was) a slight problem with the forum not understanding daylight saving time, so it really started at

Local Time:08-18-2006 at 12:00 AM.

I guess that was turn 0, with turn 1 happening 2 hours later.

We're now about to see turn 270.

At 12 turns every day, that's 22 whole days plus one half day (270 = 12*22 + 6).

So I would expect turn 270 to happen at

Local Time:09-09-2006 at 12:00 PM.

But it's not going to. It's going to happen 10 hours later than expected, at

Local Time:09-09-2006 at 10:00 PM.

So my question is: what happened to the missing 5 turns / 10 hours? Have I done my sums wrong?

I was away on holiday for the first 2 weeks of the contest, so it's quite possible that the game crashed for 5 turns or something like that and I wouldn't have noticed. Is that what happened?
09-09-2006 at 09:37 PM
eytanz
Yup. The game didn't crash, the website did, so Schik turned the game off because people couldn't access it.

----

As for my predicament, I've went through the options and I think that I'm better off bumping next turn even though that would mean Tuttle can kill me. The reasoning is as follows:

- If I jump, Tuttle can kill me and live.
- If I bump, Tuttle can kill me but he'll die too.

Therefore, bumping reduces the chance Tuttle will kill me.

09-09-2006 at 09:43 PM
Chris
eytanz wrote:
Yup. The game didn't crash, the website did, so Schik turned the game off because people couldn't access it.

Thanks for clearing that up. The one remaining mystery:

When Erik announced the start of the game, here, I'm pretty sure the text read "1am". But now, when I go back to it, it reads "2am". Why has it changed?

The game did start at 1am for me, all turns are on odd hour numbers. My time zone in the profile is set to "1 GMT", and Erik's post uses
{localtime}8/18/2006 12:00am{/localtime}
but I see it as "08-18-2006 2:00AM".
09-09-2006 at 09:54 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I'm dead, barring someone else's suicide. :~(

09-09-2006 at 10:02 PM
Chris
Looks like Doom is dead by move 305 or so too. I just don't see where he can escape to.
09-09-2006 at 10:23 PM
<<24252627
Page 28 of 32
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com