Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Magic Show (Perform a magic show.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.1/10 (33 votes)
σ 0.89
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Magic Show
Theme:Perform a magic show.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:27
Number of Monsters:315
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+3 / -0)
Poster Message
Odyssey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 124
IP: Logged
icon Re: Magic Show (+1)  
Another amazing hold by my favourite architect. I remember downloading this quite a while back - oh, the joy of participating in my own magic show. And yet - it is still one of the best holds today. It's rated as the hardest hold, too!

I enjoyed the Deadly Tricks level the most - Infinite Enemies took a good few attempts before understanding the trick (though I have yet to solve the challenge version of this level). Escape Tricks was amazing, too - really clever puzzles that you tend not to see often in very many holds.

9 brains, 10 for fun. Quite possibly one of my most favourite holds. I have yet to fully master it (I hate clowns), but I'll try to conquer this little gem. A must-have for any experienced DROD-er. The hold aesthetics are pretty cool, too - I liked the designs in the mini-map. That makes the whole experience more lively.

[Last edited by Odyssey at 10-09-2009 08:35 PM]
10-09-2009 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
This is definitely my favourite larrymurk hold. Tar cutting, movement order, efficiency, and other devious lynchpins are all present here.

Probably the best thing about this hold, is that most rooms have fairly simple solutions, and yet finding them is much trickier than it seems. I'll describe a few favourites - Spark Tricks 1S is perhaps the only room with multiple mimics that I've actually enjoyed solving. 1E on the same level was extremely clever, too. I loved the 2 efficiency rooms in Escape Tricks, and their respective secret rooms as well. Deadly Tricks 1W was a neat little room as well.

Some rooms however, weren't at all great. Deadly Tricks 1S felt a bit straightforward. 1N was terrible.(edit: Actually, that sounds a bit harsh, the room was still well made, but I just didn't like it) I absolutely hated that room (even when reading the trick in H&S, it was annoying to carry out). That one room stopped me from giving the hold a perfect 10 for fun.

The final level made up for it though, the first 3 clown rooms were so simple, yet so devious to figure out (the last one in particular, very sneaky trick!)

And that final room is one of the best I've ever played. It was extremely satisfying to complete.

Overall, this is a must-play for experienced DROD players. Difficulty-wise, (by today's standards) I don't think this is one of the hardest holds, at least not 8.5 brains. Compared to Magic Show 2 and many TCB holds, this isn't too difficult. So if any of you tried this hold years ago and gave up, now is a good time to replay it.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 10-01-2011 01:04 PM]
10-01-2011 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
A quality hold from Larry once again. Full of trademark LM puzzles of various flavours. Some seemed rather simple and obvious but there were plenty that were not and in some cases after struggling to clear a room you then find a secret variation that is even worse!

You could argue the hold is lacking somewhat in presentation but that's understandable given the engine and the age, and when the puzzles are this good it really doesn't affect your playing experience anyway.

Difficulty: 8
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
07-29-2015 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Magic Show (Perform a magic show.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com