Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0.
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: Spellcheck.JPG (55.7 KB)
Downloaded 561 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0. (+1)  
There's a spell checker built into Firefox 2.0! Yay!

If this doesn't set Firefox apart from the Microsoft arch-enemy, I don't know what will.

Get it here, but be warned that this is ugly, ugly beta software. More than anything, it's a promise of good things to come.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-20-2006 10:59 PM]
07-20-2006 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0. (+2)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Bha! Waht wood I kneed a speling chucker fro? O:-

(Bracing for birthday impact in 5... 4... 3... you know the drill...)

np: Mr. Lif ft. Murs - Murs Iz My Manager (Mo' Mega)
(Now that would've needed a spell check... :D)

07-20-2006 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0. (0)  
Briareos wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Bha! Waht wood I kneed a speling chucker fro? O:-

(Bracing for birthday impact in 5... 4... 3... you know the drill...)
We should give you a spell checker for your birthday then... When is your birthday anyway? ;) ;) ;)

Why not use Mozilla then? It already had spell checking for at least a year!

-- Tim

PS. Trivia: at least two SmS holds has been checked using the Mozilla spell checker.

07-20-2006 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I've been using Spellbound, a spell checker extension for Firefox, for a while now. I couldn't live without it. Very useful. Nice to see they'll have it in future versions automatically. It'll be one less extension for me to worry about.

On rare instances where it can't figure out the word I've mispelled, I then use the DragAndGo extension to drag the text to google, which usually comes up with "Did you mean: Misspelled".

07-20-2006 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Konqueror can use the standard spellcheckers on the system by default, and has done so for the past millenium, take or add a few years. That, and I'm an addict to the smart prefixes... I use Firefox on a public computer where I can't tweak the extensions, and vanilla Firefox somehow doesn't like "wp:Firefox".

Okay, so I just *have* to plug Konqueror when Firefox is mentioned. And Elinks while I am at it.
07-21-2006 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Elinks rocks - how else does anyone get around not being able to start X due to out-of-date graphics card drivers? "elinks http://www.nvidia.com" is blissfully straightforward :)

07-22-2006 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
But I don't make any typos, except suprise, strengh, strenght, analytical. And that's just secondary language so it doesn't count.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
07-22-2006 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
BeefontheBone wrote:
Elinks rocks - how else does anyone get around not being able to start X due to out-of-date graphics card drivers? "elinks http://www.nvidia.com" is blissfully straightforward :)
Ah, but "w3m www.ati.com" is shorter... :P

Then again, my main Linux box here has only 266MHz, 32 MB of RAM and no graphics hardware... :D

np: Styrofoam - Front To Back (ft. Andrew Kenny) (Nothing's Lost)

[Last edited by Briareos at 07-22-2006 04:50 PM]
07-22-2006 at 10:20 AM
Alneyan
And ftp is much faster than a browser... assuming you know a public FTP with the stuff you need. Wget would probably be even better, if you knew the address offhand.

Of course, the package system of your distro is bound to be leagues faster than going to a website of your own, and they will even do the job for you. That, and aliases will even out typing factors.

I'm minded to say the fastest approach involves using a different driver for the X server, though (vesa or nv, and probably a similar driver for Ati). If Vesa isn't working, that's trouble ahead.
07-22-2006 at 10:26 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0. (+2)  
I say we all switch to gopher.

- Gerry

07-22-2006 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Psschaw, we should all go TELNET style.
07-22-2006 at 08:38 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Alneyan wrote:
Konqueror can use the standard spellcheckers on the system by default, and has done so for the past millenium, take or add a few years. That, and I'm an addict to the smart prefixes... I use Firefox on a public computer where I can't tweak the extensions, and vanilla Firefox somehow doesn't like "wp:Firefox".

Okay, so I just *have* to plug Konqueror when Firefox is mentioned. And Elinks while I am at it.

I've recently switched back from konqueror to firefox. I used konqueror for aaaaages..

Now I know Alneyan plugs konqueror, I think I'll put "I SWITCHED FROM KONQUEROR TO FIREFOX" in my sig ;-)

I do really miss the "imdb:debbie does dallas" and "nuke:Alneyan" shortcuts, and can't find an extension that does those.. Anyone ?
(Basically you define a type, that is just mapped to a URL with the parameter passed in at whatever point)

ACCESS KEYS was something I always used with konqueror, but fortunately, there is a firefox extension to do those...

07-22-2006 at 11:15 PM
jamie
Briareos wrote:

Then again, my main Linux box here has only 266MHz, 32 MB of RAM and no graphics hardware... :D

Pffft. I used to use X-windows on a 486 - worked fine with netscape and one of the light window managers (I forget which one I used now)

[shows age]
links, w3m.. sigh.. I remember when "lynx" was the ONLY browser around town.

That was a major improvement on us having to previously find some ftp site, ftp in, and download any graphics/text files from a public directory!
[/shows age]

Mind you, as Alnewotsit points out, I still use command line ftp for most file transfers etc.

[Last edited by jamie at 07-22-2006 11:20 PM]
07-22-2006 at 11:19 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0. (+4)  
jamie wrote:
I do really miss the "imdb:debbie does dallas" and "nuke:Alneyan" shortcuts, and can't find an extension that does those.. Anyone ?
(Basically you define a type, that is just mapped to a URL with the parameter passed in at whatever point)
I guess you won't find an extension because FF does those right out of the box... ;)

Add a bookmark for an IMDb search, replace the search text with "%s" and set the keyword to "imdb" - after that you just enter "imdb DROD" and wonder why there's no listing for it yet... ;)

np: SCSI-9 - Albali (The Line Of Nine)

07-22-2006 at 11:23 PM
Briareos
jamie wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Pffft. I used to use X-windows on a 486 - worked fine with netscape and one of the light window managers (I forget which one I used now)
That might be so, but I bet your 486 had graphics hardware - my 80 EUR NSLU2 from Linksys has got a 266MHz ARM CPU, 32MB RAM, 8MB of flash ram, 2 USB ports, an ethernet port, 4 LEDs and a power button - and a 120GB notebook hard drive and a cable modem attached to the USB ports.

That's it - unless I solder a lot onto it I won't get a graphics signal out of it, ever... :D

np: SCSI-9 - Morskaya (The Line Of Nine)

07-22-2006 at 11:28 PM
jamie
Briareos wrote:

Add a bookmark for an IMDb search, replace the search text with "%s" and set the keyword to "imdb" - after that you just enter "imdb DROD" and wonder why there's no listing for it yet... ;)

WOOOH! IT WORKS!!!! THANK YOU!!

HAVE MY BABIES!!!!

Or have some mod points instead!!

cheers !!

07-22-2006 at 11:38 PM
jamie
Briareos wrote:
That might be so, but I bet your 486 had graphics hardware - my 80 EUR NSLU2 from Linksys has got a 266MHz ARM CPU, 32MB RAM, 8MB of flash ram, 2 USB ports, an ethernet port, 4 LEDs and a power button - and a 120GB notebook hard drive and a cable modem attached to the USB ports.

Fair enough :)

Yes, it had a 4mb graphics card if i Remember - 1024x768 256 colours.

07-22-2006 at 11:39 PM
Alneyan
So, did you compile a whole system *on* that box?

I knew you were one of those enlightened souls out there using Konqueror. Alas! Our love was not to last, and you went away, again, leaving me bereft of a Konqueror buddy.

I guess I'm switching away from Konqueror too, at least for web browsing. Elinks is just leagues faster, handles Access Keys much better, and allows some nice scripting. I'm not a rocket scientifical programmer, but picking up Lua took me roughly the whole of two minutes. That, and Elinks is just leagues faster.

At least we still both use plain ftp. I challenge you to switch to, I dunno, some Windows-only graphical FTP client!
07-23-2006 at 08:16 AM
miketo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
It's not a big deal for me, but I understand why spellcheckers are welcome additions to most browsers. For programmers, the compiler checks spelling for you ("Undefined variable 'Geethro' in file DROD.c" or some such), but there's no equivalent for English.

Somewhat farther off topic, I've used Firefox for a long time now, and switch extensions in and out. I like it so much better than IE. Now all I need to do is close my eyes and make the big leap to Linux on my main machine. Then I can stop paying the Microsoft tax.
07-23-2006 at 08:32 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
This thread is foolish. You will use Internet Explorer 7. Resistance is, though has not always been, futile.
Yay Firefox!

07-24-2006 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Jatopian wrote:
This thread is foolish. You will use Internet Explorer 7.
Unless you happen to be in Russia, in which case Internet Explorer 7 will use you.
07-24-2006 at 08:53 AM
Briareos
Znirk wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Unless you happen to be in Russia, in which case Internet Explorer 7 will use you.
Well, then let me be the first to welcome our new user-using IE7 overlords...

(There, someone had to say it... :D)

07-24-2006 at 09:38 AM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
No love for Opera? *sniff*

Click here to view the secret text

07-24-2006 at 08:54 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Znirk wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
But they aren't Soviet any more...

07-24-2006 at 09:44 PM
krepnox
Rank Points: 52
icon Re: Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0. (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Znirk wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Perhaps not, but I am told that the current Federal Security Service (FSS) is not all that much warmer or fuzzier than its predecessor - the KGB - although most observers find both the FSS and the KGB to be far warmer and fuzzier than Microsoft.

That being said, all three organizations seem to be in the business of producing bugs. The only difference seems to be that Microsoft puts its bugs in everything they touch whereas the FSS and KGB puts their bugs in everything you touch.

[Last edited by krepnox at 07-24-2006 10:24 PM]
07-24-2006 at 10:24 PM
Briareos
Jatopian wrote:
Znirk wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
I don't think neither the Uncyclopedia nor Slashdot agree with you...

np: SCSI-9 - The Line Of Nine (The Line Of Nine)

07-24-2006 at 10:30 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Jatopian wrote:
Znirk wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
If that's a concern to you, just replace all instances of "Russian" with "Belarusian". They're no longer organized in soviets either, but the actual changes have been minor :?
07-25-2006 at 08:32 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
This is an American joke:

There is a Russian-American comedian named Yakov Smirnoff, who had a joke series that went: 'America! What a country! In America, you do a thing. In Soviet Russia, that thing does you!"

07-26-2006 at 01:31 PM
krepnox
Rank Points: 52
Mattcrampy wrote:
This is an American joke:

There is a Russian-American comedian named Yakov Smirnoff, who had a joke series that went: 'America! What a country! In America, you do a thing. In Soviet Russia, that thing does you!"
Man writes to Pravda: "Should a citizen view the Communist Party as a friend or as a brother?"

Pravda responds: "As a brother. You can choose your friends."

[Last edited by krepnox at 07-26-2006 04:28 PM]
07-26-2006 at 04:27 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
That's great! Ah, Pravda -- what a great name for a newspaper. It means "The Right" (as in "being in the right"). Now how can one disagree with anything published therein? Of course, you'd be in the wrong if you did. :cheers:

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-27-2006 06:42 AM]
07-26-2006 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Possibly the best reason to try out Firefox 2.0.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com