Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Multi-colored tar
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Multi-colored tar (0)  
The most basic use of this would just be a palette change for different tilesets...after all, tar should still be recognizeable regardless of the color due to its unusual shape.

However, different colors of tar are not compatible with each other. A tar mother will only cause the color of tar it is in to grow. This will induce tactical decisions on which color to take care of first. If my "tar in a bottle" suggestion is implemented, it only produces one color (which is decided by the room author, and it should be obvious what the color is when you are trying to place the blob).

Now, this could be taken further, by making different colors destroy each other. If only one color has a mother, and the two color tars touch, then the color with a mother will start to cover the other color tar (which is basically the same as if it was "destroyed", creating the appropriate tar babies). If both colors have mothers there is a standoff where the two colors meet. Tar babies of different colors also destroy each other. In this most basic format, if two tar babies want to be on the same square, they are both destroyed regardless of the presence of mothers.

Now, we could get even more complicated (although I don't really want to) and introduce tar hierarchy. That is, blue tar destroys green tar, green tar destroys red tar, but red tar destroys blue tar. This could make some really elaborate puzzles, but I don't like it because it is too complicated and is too much to remember.

I would like some interaction between the colors, so any suggestions are welcome.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-26-2003 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Multi-colored tar (0)  
This is a really great idea - though I think the least interaction is actually the best idea - different tar colors just see each other as obstacles where they can't grow. This could lead to all sorts of interesting puzzles, and it's the easiest thing for players (and room designers) to figure out. A tar hierarchy would still be necessary, by the way, to resolve what happens when two different tar colors can grow into the same spot.

07-26-2003 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Alright...I'm certain this is on the SF page, but not with the heirarchy part. SF says that there would be multi-colored tar babies as well. Haha! The babies would be starring in "Tar Wars"! But...

I do disagree with the destruction of tar by tar. Too confusing for the player, and requiring looking at the entire room every 30 turns, in depth. I also disagree with the overrun. I suggest not going further with this.

A question that arises is what to do with tar gates. (These are/will be implemented, I'm 99.99999% certain.) Would all tar need be destroyed? Or just a certain color? (I'd go with "all").

And for the growth heirarchy, I suggest blue be first, because it was.

[Edited by zex20913 on 07-26-2003 at 02:27 AM GMT: Missed a whole paragraph...]

07-26-2003 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I had an idea along these lines where another kind of tar (say, white, or yellow) would exist. The tar babies would avoid your sword, but wouldn't kill you either. They'd just hang around your back. They kill blue tar babies, but blue tar absorbs them. Blue tar babies are absorbed by white tar, but if they meet, the blue tar will absorb the white tar out of the way.

For the record, 'absorbing' destroys the tar baby unless it's a valid place for tar to be, in which case it makes it into tar. If tar grows over a diferent coloured tar baby, it gets killed.

Matt

07-27-2003 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
I too like the idea of different behavior for different tar colors. For example:

- tar that kills Beethro if it grows on him.
- tar that Beethro can't move next to (poisonous, he dies), unless he destroys or makes tar babies with that move.
- tar that shrinks every 30 or so turns (except near the mother). This is better than serpents for long timings, but not very precise.

07-27-2003 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Multi-colored tar
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No