Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Conquest of Paradise
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (14 votes)
σ 1.11
Author Name:Geiler Hengst
Submitted By:Geiler Hengst
Hold Name:Conquest of Paradise
Theme:
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:57
Number of Monsters:666
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
stanski
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Conquest of Paradise (0)  
Why when i kill efverything in level 1 2 west is it not letting me complete the level? I don't understand what else i'm supposed to do besides kill everything in the level, or am i missing something?

on edit, does it have to do with the fact that i did not use a mimic to complete the room? It isn't necessary, so i didn't grab it... i'm still confused as to what else there is to kill!

[Last edited by stanski at 05-10-2006 03:11 AM]
05-10-2006 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
There's an invisible spider behind the red door. Did you kill it?

(Also, the purple potion is an invisibility potion, not a mimic potion, if that's the one you were talking about)

05-10-2006 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Geiler Hengst wrote:
i guess its a general risk with such an "bomb" island... i will take care in my newest hold for case i use such thingies...
Best bet is probably to put a solitary roach or some-such on a force arrow (if required) where the mimic's sword needs to be so as to force the placement...
05-10-2006 at 09:47 AM
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
stanski wrote:
alright, now i have NO idea how to solve it... what the hell am i doing wrong, it looks so simple?

Check the hints and solution board its alreaday covered there...

and thx for the tip syntax
05-10-2006 at 05:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
stanski wrote:
gay spiders...
-7??
Erm... I'm assuming stanski is a fellow UK dweller (from profile), yet I've never seen a -7 before and do think that's extremely harsh... especially for a newcomer. Hell, I've seen worse from the old-timers ;)

Anyways, nothing wrong with happy spiders so could someone fix that (unless there's an actual reason)?
05-13-2006 at 04:07 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I believe those that modded him down are sure that he wasn't using that term in the "happy" meaning. If he wants to apologize, a mod might be willing to use their points to reverse some of the score. Obviously some people feel strongly about the use of that word in this manner.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-13-2006 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Personally, I don't think we should be harsh on anyone before explaining why first. And I also do not think we should be so low(?) to wait before he apologises before modding him/her up.

Is it possible for a moderator to edit the offending passage and mod back to 10?

I don't think modding someone down 7 points is a good measure to make someone apologize.

-- Tim

05-13-2006 at 11:01 AM
Geiler Hengst
THREADHIJACKING AT HIS BEST

And btw i am gay and i really dont give a crap about such comments... i mean wouldyou care if i say sth like

"Hetero Spider!"

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 05-13-2006 06:29 PM : Edited profanity]
05-13-2006 at 11:16 AM
Syntax
Hijacking? It's a great hold I tell you! ;)
Anyways... I agree. Let's restore back to 10. Never seen such backlash against a pretty generic comment which stopped having underlying overtones about 20 years ago. He will probable apologise of sorts, but -7 and we may have lost a player who won't return.
05-13-2006 at 11:32 AM
Geiler Hengst
what are those points all about? I mean what happens with we when i got a -7? eternal ticket to hell?
05-13-2006 at 02:09 PM
Tim
Geiler Hengst wrote:
what are those points all about? I mean what happens with we when i got a -7? eternal ticket to hell?
Nothing really, I guess some people use it to say whether they agree with a message or not.

There is something about the point system in the FAQ, if you really want to know.

Oh, and I like the hold a lot! It's just that I'm, um, a bit stuck in the current version of the rooms :( (currently stuck in the potion room in level 2...)

And what does that message in level 1 mean? If you don't want to say it here, PM me, okay?

-- Tim :)

05-13-2006 at 02:27 PM
Geiler Hengst
you mean the bomb maze in level2? There is a clear help in the level for that room, hope you found that.

Which message in level1 do you mean?
05-13-2006 at 02:29 PM
Tim
I'm talking about L2:4W and L1:1W. Oh, and it's a bit of a shame L2:2W, the green doors does not show up.

But please don't spoil the L2 room yet, I want to do it myself first. :)
05-13-2006 at 02:36 PM
Geiler Hengst
Nono i wont spoil it, if you need help just post on the hints and solution board and i will do my best to make it clear.

And the message in level1 1W: The whole scripting in the hold is just nonsense... so dont think about it... really!
05-13-2006 at 02:39 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Conquest of Paradise (+1)  
I added some points to get him back to -3. Obviously there are people that feel very strongly about the statement so I think we need to respect that. If there are those that feel very strongly the other way, then they should mod him the other direction.

Also, I modified one of Geiler's posts to remove "s__t". Some might complain about a double-standard; hopefully not, but you never know. If stanski had used a different epithet for the spiders I would have modified it accordingly as well.

We're probably about at the point where all these posts will be removed because it is too off-topic, and return it to only discussion about the hold. But I'll give people a chance to mod stanski up if they really want to.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-13-2006 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Well...

Great hold! It actually stands in my top 10. Something submersive about it... maybe because it manages to combine one of the hardest, one of the most unpleasant and one of the most free-roaming rooms I've ever played.

[EDIT]

Typo

[Last edited by Syntax at 05-13-2006 06:39 PM]
05-13-2006 at 06:39 PM
stanski
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Conquest of Paradise (+4)  
I am sorry for the comment, I was fully aware of the rules of the forum and, unfortunately, did not think about the negative connotations the phrase might bring about. It is a natural phrase that i use that I should definately try and break, because as you can see it does offend many individuals.

In any event, this hold is awesome geiler! One of my favorites so far, it has many cool tricks that haven't been used in other holds i have played, and also doesn't have the typical "I know how to do it but its a pain to do them" rooms. Thanks and sorry for the thread hijack.
05-13-2006 at 08:23 PM
Geiler Hengst
Sorry for the s-word and thx for editing it.

Thank you very much for the good ratings and all the good feedback. JUst that you know i am already working on the next hold which should be finished in some weeks, which should be better and more fun in each and every way. Dont forget thats my first hold, so in the second one i hope not to make all the mistakes again i did here... till then have fun playing the conquest of paradise!
05-14-2006 at 03:59 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
stanski wrote:
I am sorry for the comment, I was fully aware of the rules of the forum and, unfortunately, did not think about the negative connotations the phrase might bring about. It is a natural phrase that i use that I should definately try and break, because as you can see it does offend many individuals.

Well, you just earned back that point you lost from me. :D

Anyway, yeah. Its EXACTLY the thoughtlessness/casualness people use that phrase with that bothers me. It kind of carries the gay = bad connection into the general thought pattern of people not otherwise homophobic.

Homophobia from people that really feel that way... well, people have their points of view. It doesn't bother me as much, as long as it remains an honestly held intellectual posistion as opposed to threats, violence, etc.

And I guess thats the problem I have with this. Its not someone's thought out posistion. Its a way of letting the language do your thinking for you.

05-15-2006 at 07:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I just finished this hold and was very impressed with it.

I give it, overall, a 7 rating with 6.5 bombs of difficuly.

My rating is a little lower than it should be because of Area51: Entrance, which is so far and away harder than anything else in the hold that it seemed remarkably out of place. (Also, it stalled me for weeks until I broke down and watched Stefan's demo.)

But I really liked the puzzles and the overall feel of the hold.

Looking forward to the next one!

Josh

06-26-2006 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Conquest of Paradise (+2)  
This hold has an interesting variety of room types and is fun throughout. Very impressive, especially for an architect's first hold.

06-04-2021 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Conquest of Paradise
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com