Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Scripting System
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 482
IP: Logged
icon New Scripting System (+1)  
Why not a new scripting system like this? :

If beethro.position.x = 5 and beethro.position.y = 12 then
event1.path1.pathfind(beethro)
event1.move.towardpath(path1)
Else
event1.speech("I am waiting for you...",aggressive,12)
end if

If event1.collides(beethro) then
beethro.die()
elseif beethro.sword.collides(event1) then
event1.die()
end if

-----------------

this is a basic-like language... this will be cool for rpg battles, pathfinding, variables, booleans and another things very useful.

04-25-2006 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: New Scripting System (0)  
Because some people prefer to have a system where they do not need to be an elite coder and memorize ten billion commands to make full use out of it.

04-26-2006 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
Well, I had already put forward a similar idea. I suggested an interface much like yours, although I must say that I tend to go against the system that you suggested, being that I absolutely hate class-within class systems that make no sense. assuming event1 is your character, then you could just you a more control-oriented language such as WaitUntilBeethro(5,5,12,12) etc. The part that most irks me about the current languge is the lack of the ability to copy-paste blocks of code, but I'm sure Mike shall come up with smething in TCB. I also suggested the possibility of keeping the old interface for people who don't feel like they want such an intensive language.

[Last edited by coppro at 04-26-2006 12:42 AM]
04-26-2006 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oh, I love the way you described it! And Typing! And lots more Typing! And Testing! And wondering which coordinates match to which square! And an extra round of Testing! And Typing on the Keyboard just for the sake of it!

Let me just say that anything that requires someone writing down a coordinate (and not to mention typing "if (beethro.x=3.1415 and beethro.y<17.5) then ... end if" - typing 50 times for just one coordinate check, are you alright?) is going to have a lot more typing and testing than something that doesn't.

Just like replaying a game of checkers from the numbers... "Let me see, where is 25? Move to 17? Was that on the third row? Oh wait, was it white's turn? Did I miss a move?"

I'm not saying that the current scripting is 100% perfect, but I'd rather want to something that focus on story writing than coordinate checking...

04-26-2006 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: New Scripting System (+1)  
Hmmm...you make a good point in regards to speech. I wonder if that, instead of having to do it line by line, they can make a text box that would allow you to write speech code. That I would like. Something like:

5000 Char(Mike) "Can we please put this into the new engine?" 
2500 Char(Negotiator) "We'll have to see.  Time is running short you know" [Striking]
1600 Char(17,28) "What about the mothingness?  You still have to program that in now"
Char(Beethro) "And why am I wearing a dress?" [Angry]
3000 Char(Mike) "It's coming!  I swear!" [Nervous]
Char(Goblin King) "Leave the poor man alone!"
Char(Beethro) "I'd rather not"
Char(Goblin King) "Oh."
Char(Goblin King) "Well, I'd better not stop you, then."
Yes, I like that much better. Much faster and such.

04-26-2006 at 02:55 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I believe the point-and-click interface was used so as not to intimidate people. I guess that wasn't so much of a problem, but I'd still be wary of getting rid of the point-and-click interface. Perhaps some way external written scripts can be loaded in?

04-26-2006 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
There is one other reason not to allow typed script - is it really necessary for Caravel to add a parser to the scripting language, including syntax checking? I really don't think that's necessary or reasonable considering the benefits it would provide (not to mention the detrements - namely, it being more difficult and more complicated to script).

The only reason I would welcome it is if variables and the like were added - but that was already discussed at length on another thread somewhere...

04-26-2006 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
coppro wrote:
The part that most irks me about the current languge is the lack of the ability to copy-paste blocks of code, but I'm sure Mike shall come up with smething in TCB.
There are no plans to add any object-oriented paradigm to DROD scripting, but TCB will support the ability cut/copy/paste blocks of code.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-26-2006 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Why don't we just allow both?

Okay. the point and click gives you a nice handy little straight up and down readout.

And then there's a tab, so you people can code to your heart's content via typing--but if you type in there, it invalidates the point and click. That avoids the messy issues like 'people can't spell' and things.
04-26-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
Banjooie:

Kevin_P86 wrote:
is it really necessary for Caravel to add a parser to the scripting language, including syntax checking?

let me clarify his comments:

I'm not going to ask them to delay TCB by 6-8 weeks for the "feature" of a typable scripting language. It's just not nearly as important as the game itself, because the scripting engine it has works just fine.

04-26-2006 at 10:20 PM
mrimer
Banjooie wrote:
Why don't we just allow both?

Okay. the point and click gives you a nice handy little straight up and down readout.

And then there's a tab, so you people can code to your heart's content via typing...
Sure, but I don't think the effort-to-reward ratio is worth it. If one of you sturdy coders out there wants to implement a text parser, however, for importing/exporting NPC scripts from/to text files or editing the script with the keyboard in-game, then go for it. If it works in the game, I'll most likely make sure it's in TCB.

04-26-2006 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
mrimer wrote:
If one of you sturdy coders out there wants to implement a text parser, however, for importing/exporting NPC scripts from/to text files or editing the script with the keyboard in-game, then go for it. If it works in the game, I'll most likely make sure it's in TCB.
Okay, I'll take a whack at the import/export function, just for fun. Question for Mike: Is use of yacc and/or lex verboten? (Not a problem if it is.)

04-30-2006 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
icon Re: New Scripting System (+7)  
:-O
I already have a steady implementation going. I'm just writing the argument parser for importing.

Race? ;)
04-30-2006 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
coppro wrote:
:-O
I already have a steady implementation going. I'm just writing the argument parser for importing.

Race? ;)
Given that you already have something working, and I was going to start today, I'll bow out. I'll take another look if you find you are running into problems. Good luck!

04-30-2006 at 04:36 PM
mrimer
coppro wrote:
Thanks to this man's motivational code, I've implemented a text/DRODscript converter this week in 3.0. It will send and get plaintext script commands to/from the clipboard, which you can access through your favorite text editor.

Huh...this means that DROD is now a compiler. :huh :-O :w00t :yay :wacko

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-05-2006 11:05 PM]
05-05-2006 at 11:03 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Well that calls for a new acronym!

05-06-2006 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
DCOD
05-08-2006 at 11:07 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: New Scripting System (+2)  
The Compiler Beneath!

05-08-2006 at 11:30 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Kate, the eighth compiler.
05-09-2006 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
Maybe even JTPC (Journey to Programmed Compiler)
05-09-2006 at 11:05 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New Scripting System
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com