Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Small request: keyboard shortcut for movement buttons.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Small request: keyboard shortcut for movement buttons. (0)  
A very small request, but can there be (as the title says) keyboard shortcuts for setting the movement buttons? While on a laptop, it's quite annoying to have to use the pad lock, because then you have to switch out of that mode to type other things. To get it so the lock isn't needed, it involves tedious clicking, punching, and reclicking. A keyboard shortcut for those would be nice.

07-17-2003 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Small request: keyboard shortcut for movement buttons. (0)  
I use a laptop also, and at first I used the numeric keypad option and had to switch back when I was done playing. Then I realized I could just remap the movement keys to the buttons "under" the keypad in the same positions, so I could use the same keys but not have to set the option. Does that make sense at all?

Yeah, this is the most annoying thing about gaming with a laptop...especially with old RPGs (like Nethack, Angband, Excelsior) that have keyboard commands and use the numeric keypad to move...you lose a lot of the commands and there usually isn't an option to remap the keys.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-17-2003 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Angband has the roguelike keys option, which doesn't use the keypad (Rogue was developed before keypads were invented).

07-17-2003 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well, yeah, I guess you would know, eytanz...but I thought that they supported diagonal movement and not just the 4 cardinal directions (newer versions especially).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-17-2003 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
They do; whether they use the keypad or not. Every key in the regular keyset has a counterpart in the RL keyset; it's a real pain when you want to add new commands, because there are plenty of free buttons in the normal keyset but basically none in the RL.

07-17-2003 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Nethack has a rouge-like keys option too. Nethack is da bomb.
07-18-2003 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Small request: keyboard shortcut for movement buttons.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com