Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Can't Download Holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bucklingbranch
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon Can't Download Holds (0)  
Can someone help me please? I have version 2.0.12 of JTRH. I am connected with it, but when I try to Change Location and download another hold, I can only see the 3 holds (JTRH, Jo's First Hold and Perfection) that I downloaded a while ago. No other holds show up at all.
Thanks in advance
01-19-2006 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Can't Download Holds (+1)  
Well, it sure sounds like you're not connected. Do you have a green check mark on the antenna on the title screen? Schik informs me that if a key was lost during the current session then that antenna status might not update...so you might want to quit and restart DROD to see if it is really connected. If not, just request a new key and you should be okay.

Also, a news marquee does not necessarily mean that you are connected. The game remembers the last news item and scrolls it every time you start up just in case you aren't connected.

If you do have a green check mark after restarting and you still don't see any holds to download, then it sounds like a real problem and I'll move this to the Bugs board.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-19-2006 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bucklingbranch
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Thanks Oneiromancer! I thought I was connected as I was receiving news messages. I requested a new key and now all is well.
01-19-2006 at 06:10 PM
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1134
icon Re: Can't Download Holds (0)  
Why does the key expire, by the way?
What causes it, so I can try to prevent it?

01-20-2006 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
If DROD crashes or is forced to close by any means other than quitting the program, then your key will become invalid. So you can prevent it by never having your machine crash. ;)

"Oook!"
01-20-2006 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Actually, if the connection is lost while playing DROD for any reason - at least at the moment - you run the risk of the key getting invalidated. So you also need to prevent your ISP's servers from crashing, and the lines from disconnecting.

01-20-2006 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
The problem isn't that extreme. Your CaravelNet key will be invalidated only if the DROD app is killed in the middle of a CaravelNet transaction (uploading or downloading something). A further fix to this will be in 2.0.13. But if you're just in the middle of playing or editing a room and DROD dies, chances are nothing bad will happen to your key.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-20-2006 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I can confirm this is indeed the case.
My ISP is yoyo-ing but it's only if it yoyos during a demo upload that I have to request a new key... (Really should complain to my ISP).

Thanks all
01-22-2006 at 12:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Can't Download Holds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes