Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: More Export and Import Problems (Build 28)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Bug: More Export and Import Problems (Build 28) (0)  
They're back for Build 28.
My first problem was that I couldn't import my player file from Build 26 because it said "File Corrupted", so I had to import my hold set to "Anyone can edit status, and re-copy it into the game.
The second problem is that now I want to re-export the level again, but for some strange reason, DROD quits to desktop whenever I try to export it and makes the warning "dong" noise.
Importing levels appears to be fine though...

How do I get DROD to export properly again?

07-14-2003 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Bug: More Export and Import Problems (Build 28) (0)  
Yes, I'm expecting there to be a few datafile inconsistencies from build 26 to 27 and/or 28. I was able to fix some of them, and have build 28 fix others on import, but I think the rest are irreparable. The problem should be fixed by now though. One thing to try to test this out is exporting your own players and holds to some new datafiles using build 28, deleting them (back up your three .dat files first!) and then re-importing them to build 28. If this works and everything's still intact, then that's good news.

If it doesn't work, please zip and post your build 28 data files and with them tell me how to reproduce the errors you're experiencing.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-14-2003 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Bug: More Export and Import Problems (Build 28) (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Yes, I'm expecting there to be a few datafile inconsistencies from build 26 to 27 and/or 28. I was able to fix some of them, and have build 28 fix others on import, but I think the rest are irreparable. The problem should be fixed by now though. One thing to try to test this out is exporting your own players and holds to some new datafiles using build 28, deleting them (back up your three .dat files first!) and then re-importing them to build 28. If this works and everything's still intact, then that's good news.

If it doesn't work, please zip and post your build 28 data files and with them tell me how to reproduce the errors you're experiencing.
Yes, but how do I export a hold? At the moment, I'm stuck on build 26 because I can't export any of my holds...

07-14-2003 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Bug: More Export and Import Problems (Build 28) (0)  
I was suffering from this problem as well. What I did was as follows:

1 - Go to the hold you can't export in build 28, and remove all the stairways.
2 - Create a new hold.
3 - Copy each level, one after the other, into the new hold. After copying each level, try exporting. When I did that, I discovered that the problem was with one of my levels, not all of them (but if any had stairs in them, they were also corrupt). If you do run into the problem, start over but don't copy the bad level.
4 - If you find a bad level, just make a new level and copy it room by room. Again, export between each room you add - this is tedious, but I managed to narrow it down to a single room that was causing the trouble. Also, if you do copy a corrupt room into the new hold, you have to start over.
5 - If you find bad rooms, you have no choice but re-create them.

Unless build 29 will have some way to repair old corrupted holds, this will probably be the best way to rescue them. It may be over-cautious (I'm not sure you always need to start over, deleting the bad room/level may be enough), but at least this way you can be reasonably sure the corrupt sections are gone.

Eytan

07-14-2003 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Re: Re: Bug: More Export and Import Problems (Build 28) (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Yes, but how do I export a hold? At the moment, I'm stuck on build 26 because I can't export any of my holds...
Can you please give me your zipped build 28 data files and tell me what hold you're trying to export so I can reproduce the crash. As soon as you get it to me I can fix it for build 29 (which I hope we can release soon).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-15-2003 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: More Export and Import Problems (Build 28)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com