Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Editing holds if not the creator
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
IP: Logged
icon Editing holds if not the creator (0)  
I know this has been brought up with King Dugan's hold, but I wish to address the issue with holds in general. If you give anyone who passes the hold permission to edit the hold, or anyone at all permission to edit the hold, it should create a separate copy of the hold for them to edit so they can keep the original. Otherwise, how do you go back and play the original? I know this has been addressed with King Dugan's hold, but here is my proposal:

When someone decides to edit a hold:

1) Check to see if they created the hold, or are the editor for the hold.
If Yes: Allow edit. (no further steps necessary)
If No: Go on to step 2.
2) Check to see if they are qualified to edit the hold.
If Yes: Go on to step 3.
If No: Post error message and do not allow them to edit the hold.
3) Check to see if a hold by the name of $PLAYER's $HOLDNAME exists (where $PLAYER is the name of the player and $HOLDNAME is the name of the hold).
If Yes: Present a warning that all data from that hold will be overwritten, and go to step 4.
If No: Go to step 5.
4) Ask if the player wants to overwrite that hold.
If Yes: Delete the hold by the name of $PLAYER's $HOLDNAME. Go to step 5.
If No: Present a message that the hold could not be edited, and terminate.
5) Copy the hold to a new file named $PLAYER's $HOLDNAME (where $PLAYER is the name of the player and $HOLDNAME is the name of the hold). (Notice I don't say RENAME, I say COPY.) Go on to step 6.
6) Make that hold $PLAYER's $HOLDNAME have the editor $PLAYER instead of whoever the original editor was. Keep the creator the same, so the original creator is still credited. Have the editor open up this new hold.

Note whenever a new hold is created, both the creator and editor would both be initialized as the current player.

This would be a MUCH better way to do it, and solves the problem for ANY hold being overwritten upon edit.

Sam

[Edited by butsam on 07-08-2003 at 01:17 AM]
07-08-2003 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Editing holds if not the creator (0)  
I'm pretty sure that, while Dugan's Dungeon was used as the example, the problem was always taken to be universal, and the solution (more or less what you want, except that there will be no way to overwrite a hold, and it's impossible to even try to edit a hold if you don't have permission since it won't appear in the editor's list) - which will be in build 28 according to Mike - will be implemented for all holds created by someone else.

07-08-2003 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Editing holds if not the creator
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com