Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Hold Testing (My Hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
IP: Logged

File: Insanes Castle.hold (48.2 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
License: Other
icon Hold Testing (0)  
This hold isn't completed yet and i can't post in "Holds" Anyways so i'm posting it here. after testing it pls rate it from 1 - 10
08-29-2005 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Hold Testing (0)  
Hold testing is what the architecture board is for.
08-29-2005 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
Not bad for an introductory level hold. I give it a 5.

You might want to add a scroll in the room that teaches backswiping. My first attempt at that room I went right in and killed the roaches and then had no way to trigger the script so the NPC would let me go to the next room.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
08-29-2005 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
Insane wrote:
This hold isn't completed yet and i can't post in "Holds" Anyways so i'm posting it here. after testing it pls rate it from 1 - 10

Well... first some bugs I noticed :

The Secret Elevator (Entrance) : You can use the mimic to open the final yellow door....

Often the picture of the speaking character is different to its character type

Passageway/Grounds : An empty room with some stairs ? (intentional ? or not ready ?)

Upsairs 1S : If you move to early around, you block the slayer.

Ok, now the comments :

Many rooms are containing a "puzzle" which involves to seek cover from hundrets of roaches (e.g.: Upstairs 2W/Main Halls 2N1W) which were triggered by an character. Also I found a lot of "cutscene-rooms" (e.g.: Main Halls : 1N1W) with many lines of good script. However I didnīt get the story. Apart from that there are also rooms which can be captured by just starting a fuse (Main Halls : 1N) or pass through (Main Halls : 3N1W) or
press Crtl+Q a half hour (Secret Elevator : 1N). A rather good thing is the level "Underground". It has no puzzles but some nice artwork. (The insane logo is cool !)

Best rooms : underground : 1W ///
Click here to view the secret text

Really Dumb rooms : The Secret Elevator : 1N2W/1N1W/1N

Ah, the rating you wanted :

Overall (Fun) : 4-/10
Difficulty : 2 Brains

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 08-29-2005 10:42 AM]
08-29-2005 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
I've moved this over to Architecture.

08-29-2005 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
dreamisle
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: Hold Testing (+1)  
I think this hold could use some design changes, but it's not too bad. I can't cite specific rooms from level 1 or 2 since I'm on level 4 now, but I know there were a few rooms where otherwise easy or trivial solutions were hindered due to confusing scripting.

In addition to all of level 3 being trivial due to the mimic, the talking text is repeated when you reenter after beating all of the other rooms. I also noticed many of the other problems noted by MeckMeck GRE, and the passageway and grounds (which you claim will be deleted) are just a passageway and exit, perhaps you could put pits all around a path, maybe with some rocks and trees and a gateskeepers hut/house, and only have one staircase at the very end. I think this needs to be fixed and messed with much more before I can actually give it a rating, but its a decent play and should be fun when it's completed.

09-02-2005 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Well this is my very first hold and as uve noticed the game ends after level 3 (level 4 are just credits) and im kinda addicted to scripting. and for skipping the third level.... DOH!.... Why didn't i notice that??????
09-02-2005 at 10:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane

File: Insanes Castle.hold (48.5 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Other
Here is the newest version.
I've fixed most of the bugs u told me about (besides the one with the wrong character faces) and ive even added a really cool looking room and ive made the credits an extra level.

see the attachement
-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 09-02-2005 11:51 AM : Forgot to add attachement O.o]
09-02-2005 at 11:50 AM
dreamisle
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
Alright, I'm playing the new demo and here's what I see:

Level 1

Level 2:

Level 3

09-02-2005 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Hold Testing (My Hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com