Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Invisibility potion puzzles? (Advice requested)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CyberFish
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon Invisibility potion puzzles? (0)  
The problem is not so much that I want an invisibility potion puzzle, as that said puzzle is on the very first level of the hold I'm creating, and so I don't want any monsters more complicated than roaches. Doors and trapdoors are fine, as are force arrows and ortho-squares, but no tarstuff or bombs (that all comes later).

So, any advice or ideas? The invisibility potion(s) has to be essential for completing the room.
06-29-2005 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Invisibility potion puzzles? (0)  
Are you allowing evil eyes? You could have an evil eye ambush be impossible without getting the potion.

For something a bit more complicated...

* Force the player to get the potion, and then make them lure roaches into necessary positions (like levels 9 and 19 of KDD).

* Roach queen guidance with an invisibility potion. Can also have several potions, and so you need to figure out when you need to be invisible to get the queen through a section, and when you don't. (Has been done a few times, but everyone adds their own unique twist to similar puzzles.)

* Wraithwings can also be funky with invisibility potions, since their "safe" distance is the same as the potion radius.

* Need to get a roach queen in a certain position and have her lay eggs, and then you go somewhere else in the room to strike an orb (and have another potion in the way to lose the invisibility).

Edit: okay, I broke the "no monster more complicated than roaches" thing. :selftwak I was more thinking stuff a lot more complicated than roaches, but allowing things within the first 3 levels of KDD.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 06-29-2005 01:56 AM]
06-29-2005 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Invisibility potion puzzles? (+1)  
Well, theres only a couple of general ideas that I can think of with only roaches as monsters.
1) All around the room are roaches about to move into inaccessible chambers (blocked by force arrows, that is), and you have to work your way around killing the roaches in a particular order making sure that you don't trap any remaining ones in the process.

2) Use the invisibility potion to 'set up' the level in such a way to make it beatable. For example, to enter a main area you need to become visible again, causing roaches to come at you from several directions. Initially this would be impossible, so you have to previously move around the room using the invisibility potion to get particular roaches to move to particular spots..
06-29-2005 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Invisibility potion puzzles? (Advice requested)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com