Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : JtRH 'First Place' bug? (Or feature...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
IP: Logged
icon JtRH 'First Place' bug? (0)  
Something I've noticed only since upgrading is that exiting rooms I get 'first place' flashing when it's clearly not true. This has happened to me today on Level 25 1n4w, and Level 25 2s. '1st Place' has flashed up, and believing it to be false, I have returned to the room to check and indeed it is false.

Anyone else noticed?
04-20-2005 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: JtRH 'First Place' bug? (0)  
It flashed up "second place" a couple of times for me, but I think it may have been unrequired rooms.

Mind you, when demo's tell me, "Beethro conquers the room after slaying just one monster but it takes forever," I don't hold out much hope for making the leaderboard. :lol
04-20-2005 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
HopelessAmateur wrote:
Something I've noticed only since upgrading is that exiting rooms I get 'first place' flashing when it's clearly not true. This has happened to me today on Level 25 1n4w, and Level 25 2s. '1st Place' has flashed up, and believing it to be false, I have returned to the room to check and indeed it is false.

Anyone else noticed?

Wouldn't know what to tell you there, but I only played DROD (not JtRH, but some user-made holds) while connected to CaravelNet once. The scores seemed accurate at the time. I'd usually get second or fourth place. I did get a few first places and when I checked through the demo screen they were right! Is it possible that the someone quickly placed after you, therefore, altering the list of high scores?

But get this, I was either the only one or one out of a few to actually explore the hold that I'd been playing through. :D

Guess that makes it simple to place first or second, BUT it helps your score as I've noticed. By the way, I haven't played JtRH with CaravelNet just yet. I have conquered it, but maybe I'll play the secret rooms while connected.

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:04-20-2005 at 01:40 PM]

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:04-20-2005 at 04:08 PM]

04-20-2005 at 01:39 PM
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
If you just connect and click the "Upload my socres" button in the Settings screen, DROD will automatically put all your victory demos onto the server and any highscores will go on the list. You don't need to play while connected to have a highscore demo.

"Oook!"
04-20-2005 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
krammer wrote:
If you just connect and click the "Upload my socres" button in the Settings screen, DROD will automatically put all your victory demos onto the server and any highscores will go on the list. You don't need to play while connected to have a highscore demo.

Of course, but I'm referring to the feature that shows your current place in a room after clearing the room. I think you need to be connected to see that. I think your place is determined by players that have previously cleared that room, just by comparison. If you get better results, you'll place higher than some of them. And, like me, if you're not that great, you won't be on the top 8 demos which is required for gaining any points (If I can recall...).

I'd never noticed that I could see my current place in a room until I played while connected to CaravelNet. I began playing some user-made holds and saw 4th Place! Flash on the screen after clearing a room. I then concluded that it had to be there because I was playing through a hold while connected. I, of course, upload my scores anytime I think I've gained a nice amount of points for the high scores page. :D

04-20-2005 at 03:31 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: JtRH 'First Place' bug? (+1)  
I believe what is happening is that in the latest patch something was added that allows scores for places higher than 8 to pop up on your screen. But something within the game is messed up and it only shows the first digit. So if you score between 10th and 19th place it shows "1st place!" and if you score between 20th and 25th place (the current maximum I believe) it shows "2nd place!" instead. I told Schik about it last night so I think he's investigating it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-20-2005 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Oneiromancer hit the nail on the head. Since this will require a new build of DROD, I have changed the CaravelNet code back to only inform you if you get a Top 8 score. When the next patch happens, I'll change it back.

04-20-2005 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bandit1200
I've just been watching some demo's of other players - seeing as I'm completely stuck on level 21 - and noticed I had a lower move count, by 1, in one room, than the 8th place for that particular room. I took 503 moves, whereas the 8th place took 504. I have no interest in being on the high score table, in fact, as it took me more than twice as long, it'd be an embarrassment, but it still left me wondering why my 503 hadn't shown.

BTW, I am absolutely gobsmacked at the way the experts go about playing. There are moves I wouldn't be capable of if I played for the rest of my life. But at least I get my moneys worth as the game lasts much longer. :P
04-20-2005 at 06:27 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Bandit, I don't see that 503 move demo from you. Were you connected to CaravelNet at the time? Or did you do a full high scores upload since then?

04-20-2005 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bandit1200
It obviously didn't get uploaded for whatever reason. I'm always online, so I assumed that it should have been uploaded, as Connect To CaravelNet and Submit Scores are both checked. Anyway, I just this minute clicked Upload My Scores and it's showing now. I just need someone to beat it now to remove my embarrassing time. :)
04-20-2005 at 07:34 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : JtRH 'First Place' bug? (Or feature...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com