Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Orb puzzles (Not a hold, but an architecture question)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Orb puzzles (0)  
How exactly do you go about making an orb/door puzzle? In particular, one where all orbs affect all doors. Its easy enough coming up with ones where you just make one orb open gate 1, and not affect the rest, another orb open 2, close 1, not affect the rest etc, but I'm trying to come up with one for the Golbenos contest thing where the doors are under tar, so I don't want you to be able to deduce things from the lightning..

Is there any nice way of working out combinations that give small numbers of solutions?
02-25-2005 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Orb puzzles (0)  
I've been giving this some thought also. The best idea I came up with was to create an orb-puzzle solver and then use a genetic algorithm to find ridiculously difficult puzzles. But that's probably not feasible for this particular contest (if for no other reason, than you wouldn't have time to run the GA).

Perhaps a more doable option is to choose behavior for most of the orbs, and then choose a potential solution, then set the behavior for the remaining orbs to make that solution work. For example, you decide that the solution should be ABDBCAE. Pick behaviors for A, B, and C. Then choose the behaviors for D and E so that all the doors are open.

Another option (since everything is going to be under tar anyway), is to choose behaviors for all orbs and a solution, then have some doors start open instead of closed to make the solution work.

Of course, neither of those approaches guarantees that there won't be a simpler solution, so you'll probably need an orb solver program to make sure that things are difficult.

02-25-2005 at 01:05 AM
TripleM
Thanks, I might try that.

Now that I think about it.. is it actually possible to make a puzzle where some orb must be struck more than once? Maybe I should put this in the challenges section :)
02-25-2005 at 01:11 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Orb puzzles (+1)  
TripleM wrote:
Thanks, I might try that.

Now that I think about it.. is it actually possible to make a puzzle where some orb must be struck more than once? Maybe I should put this in the challenges section :)

Easy, peasy!

Two Doors. D1 starts open, D2 starts closed.
One Orb. Toggle D1, Open D2.

02-25-2005 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Ok, so that was easy :(
I suppose a similar idea could be turned into more orbs.. it just feels like whatever combinations you have, there always a 'simple' solution.
02-25-2005 at 04:46 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Well, it's probably not too tricky to come up with the longest pattern for a given orb configuration.

Start with the all-open position and construct a tree of previous positions.
i.e Find all possible positions one orb before all-open, then find all positions one orb before those, etc. (Ignore repetitions) The last position you find will be the one that requires the most hits, so that should be the door configuration you start with.

02-25-2005 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Well, I just made a program to solve an orb/door puzzle in the minimal number of moves (not the way you have there though). Now just to play with some combinations..
02-26-2005 at 10:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Orb puzzles (Not a hold, but an architecture question)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com