Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Mp3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
J.L.
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged
icon DROD Mp3 (0)  
About two weeks ago, I made two MP3s for DROD and sent it to Erik on his request. I haven't heard from him, and I've tried to e-mail him a few times, but I haven't gotten any responses.
Erik, if you read this, could you tell me if you ever got any of my messages, or my MP3s?
06-17-2003 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Mp3 (0)  
J.L. wrote:
About two weeks ago, I made two MP3s for DROD and sent it to Erik on his request. I haven't heard from him, and I've tried to e-mail him a few times, but I haven't gotten any responses.
Erik, if you read this, could you tell me if you ever got any of my messages, or my MP3s?
I didn't get them although I did reply back to an e-mail about converting MIDIs to MP3s. Sorry!

Please send the mp3s or other mail to erikh2000 at yahoo dot com. I think I need to fix the drod.net address.

-Erik

06-17-2003 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
J.L.
I did get that e-mail, but it looks like the mp3s never transferred. I'm guessing that my e-mail provider doesn't like transferring large files.

I'm going to get some free space on a Geocities server. I'll be back in a minute.
06-17-2003 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
J.L.
That took just about forever. But I got them uploaded to Geocities. There are two mp3s, both of them are based on the midi "deadly.mid" from Home of the Underdogs. One uses SB Live! instrument definitions, the other uses Microsoft GS Wavetable definitions.

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 06-17-2003 at 08:25 PM GMT: Took out links.]
06-17-2003 at 08:06 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: DROD Mp3 (0)  
J.L. wrote:
That took just about forever. But I got them uploaded to Geocities.
J.L., it's no big deal, but I had to remove the links from the forum. Lars gave me permission to use his music inside of DROD, but he might not want them available on a public forum in a general format. I've downloaded the files and you can take them down now. Please, in the future just send me an e-mail with an URL and I'll download them and let you know when I have them. I'm not holding anything against you. Like I said--it's no big deal.

I think the conversions are great. Nice work! The GS Wavetable sounds *much* better to me. If you want to do the work to convert the other MIDIs, I'll make some kind of music pack available based on what you give me.

-Erik

06-17-2003 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
J.L.
icon Re: Re: Re: DROD Mp3 (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
J.L., it's no big deal, but I had to remove the links from the forum. Lars gave me permission to use his music inside of DROD, but he might not want them available on a public forum in a general format. I've downloaded the files and you can take them down now. Please, in the future just send me an e-mail with an URL and I'll download them and let you know when I have them
I understand. No problem.

ErikH2000 wrote:I think the conversions are great. Nice work! The GS Wavetable sounds *much* better to me. If you want to do the work to convert the other MIDIs, I'll make some kind of music pack available based on what you give me.

-Erik
I'll do it! :D I'll make a couple more either tomorrow or Thursday.
06-18-2003 at 03:48 AM
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
On this topic, Erik...

What shall I do about my compositions?

06-18-2003 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
On this topic, Erik...

There is the same possibility to create a music pack that can be downloaded. This would work best if you have a song for each of the 9 styles and a song for winning a level. Optionally, you could include songs for the end sequence and credits.

You might be more interested in including your music in a later version of DROD or possibly another game we are working on. I don't want to promise anything here, but we might talk about it later if the need for new music comes up. From what I've heard, I think your music is good for games.

Actually, I would like to hear more of it. Have you got any more songs I could listen to?

-Erik

06-18-2003 at 03:20 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Hm, have you considered supporting the Ogg Vorbis format ( www.vorbis.com ..) ? Mp3 is a jungle of patents and licenses, Ogg is open and patent free. It sounds better too :)
06-18-2003 at 08:33 PM
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Re: DROD Mp3 (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
On this topic, Erik...

There is the same possibility to create a music pack that can be downloaded. This would work best if you have a song for each of the 9 styles and a song for winning a level. Optionally, you could include songs for the end sequence and credits.

You might be more interested in including your music in a later version of DROD or possibly another game we are working on. I don't want to promise anything here, but we might talk about it later if the need for new music comes up. From what I've heard, I think your music is good for games.

Actually, I would like to hear more of it. Have you got any more songs I could listen to?

-Erik
Err... 1/2

DROD Score 5 is half-finished, and a friend interested in this also has something half-finished. I'll post once I've got a finished piece.

06-18-2003 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
trick wrote:
Hm, have you considered supporting the Ogg Vorbis format ( www.vorbis.com ..) ? Mp3 is a jungle of patents and licenses, Ogg is open and patent free. It sounds better too :)
The sound library we are using supports Ogg Vorbis so we could happily distribute it. If Wesley wants to use OV, he is welcome to.

For a complete list of supported formats, go to www.fmod.org.

-Erik

06-18-2003 at 09:03 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Oh, okay. Good :)
06-18-2003 at 10:37 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Mp3
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com