Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: TCB Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using nothing but TCB elements)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged

File: 210 Levels of Terror TCB Edition Levels 9 thru 16.hold (36.9 KB)
Downloaded 2 times.
License: Public Domain
icon 210 Levels of Terror: TCB Edition (-1)  
Hello everyone,

This is my TCB version of 210 Levels of Terror, with the first 4 levels done for everyone to test and comment on.

Note level 4 is exactly like JtRH edition's level 4, because I felt like I could re-use the level if the concept and puzzles I am teaching at that particular point are exactly the same - namely puzzles about how to use orbs to open yellow doors.

Before that, however, the levels are different - level 1 is just a walk-thru with nothing eventful, but level 2 is an intro to pressure plates and level 3 is an intro to roaches and how they also step on pressure plates.

My plan is in full for the rest of the hold:

Click here to view the secret text

UPDATE 05/29/2024:

Added levels 5 thru 8, and fixed level 4 to be not exactly the same as in other holds.

UDPATE 06/12/2024:

Added levels 9 thru 16, and fixed levels 4 and 8.

[Last edited by azb at 06-12-2024 09:35 PM : 06/12/2024 Update, fixing levels 4 and 8 and adding levels 9 thru 16.]
05-28-2024 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2793
icon Re: 210 Levels of Terror: TCB Edition (0)  
Duplicate content will get your hold rejected in the HA queue, just FYI, although you're always free to make whatever you want if you have no plans to promote.

Have you heard of the term "quality vs quantity"? I recommend considering more of the former over the latter.
05-29-2024 at 07:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Okay, that makes sense that there's an actual HA rule against it - I still stand by the fact that if the puzzles are the same with no new elements it should be fine to re-use the same exact puzzle.

However, given that there were pressure plates introduced earlier I could simply re-make the level with pressure plates in it.

And yes, I do make sure these particular holds are the highest quality possible, rather than ignoring the constructive feedback I get - so for example having the levels be exactly the same is not good is something I can understand and correct, but saying "quality vs quantity" without explaining what is actually low quality doesn't help me understand what I did wrong.

05-29-2024 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
With that said, do you have any feedback on any particular levels that you either really liked or thought really needed fixing, besides the fact level 4 was an exact carbon copy of the JtRH version's level 4, which I fixed in my latest upload?

05-29-2024 at 10:50 AM
azb
I have added levels 5 thru 8 as well, and although levels 7 and 8 are similar to the AE edition I made sure they had their own unique twists to them, using on-off pressure plates a lot, which AE never had.

05-29-2024 at 10:07 PM
azb
I have levels 9 thru 16 drafted as well, but as always I make sure not to publish future levels until after each section/snippet is fully tested, to not overwhelm the player with too many levels at once.

05-31-2024 at 07:19 PM
azb
I know I got feedback on the TSS Edition, but does anyone have any comments on the levels 1 thru 8 of the TCB edition so I can publish levels 9 thru 16 for testing?

I also have finished drafts of levels 17 thru 24 for this one and the GatEB edition, which was commented on in the TSS edition thread rather than its own thread, but again I know not to publish future sections until the published sections are tested in full to ensure the highest quality possible.

06-12-2024 at 12:35 PM
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4705
First Trip: Grammar mistake in Entrance; "nothing too excited" should be "nothing too exciting".

To the Pain: 1W has a lot more roaches than needed. It's somewhat excusable as this is TCB so we have the battle key now; maybe (if you decide not to reduce the number) have a speech line telling the player about it?

1S1W is a nice linchpin room. New players might find it tricky to think of getting a roach to trip the plate, but the room is simple enough that the process of getting to an "aha" moment should be satisfying.

Got the Orbs: 1S1W is a nice variation on the JtRH edition room, as the player has to notice that it doesn't matter if the middle door re-closes as they can step diagonally past it.

1N1W, however, is exactly the same puzzle as in the JtRH edition -- and both rooms are exactly the same puzzle as the canon JtRH Level 1 2S2W. The fact that you've changed it from orbs to pressure plates may or may not be good enough for the HAs, I can't judge. But it's not satisfying as a player to have to do the same room multiple times.

If you wanted to keep the basic framework the same while changing the puzzle a bit, then given the pressure plate theme, how about making it possible to manipulate the roach to step on pressure plates that open the way for Beethro to hit his orbs?

Not Too Hard: Good mini-level. I suspect both rooms will be fun for optimisers.

Don't Get Shot: Good use of simple tactics like entering facing the correct direction to clear the roaches as fast as possible.

Branched Path: Nice introduction to on-off pressure plate tactics like stepping directly from a plate to a door, and removing trapdoors to keep a roach on a plate.

Stop 'n' Go: Level is missing one apostrophe in the title. (Also true in the AE, GatEB and TSS editions.)

1S1W is really frustrating. There is a very precise move sequence that allows the player to survive the first wave, and no real way to find it other than trial and error. If this is meant to be about the linchpins of "only step on the plate for one turn" and "find a hiding spot", then the room should be set up so that meeting those conditions will give the player a win.

2W is also very hard, but it's not as bad here because you're not looking for the one precise move sequence that works, but more of a general strategy; also, it's fine for secret rooms to be a bit tougher. I do like how all five editions have a version of this room and they all have distinct identities that make them very different to play.

06-12-2024 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
I fixed all the issues you mentioned, so the puzzle in Got the Orbs 1N1W requires avoiding the roach stepping on a pressure plate first, but is generally the same puzzle otherwise just because of how limited the element palette this early in TCB is, and likewise I fixed Stop 'n' Go 1S1W as well as the title.

06-12-2024 at 09:34 PM
azb
I now have up to levels 17 thru 24 drafted on the TCB and GatEB editions, as well as levels 17 thru 20 drafted on the TSS edition, but again I know to not publish later sections until earlier sections are tested to ensure the highest quality possible.

06-12-2024 at 11:57 PM
azb
Note in the latest version, it is intentional level 16 is literally just JtRH edition level 16 with the Slayer added, as the Slayer addition makes the level more difficult and the solutions different in each room compared to the JtRH edition.

06-12-2024 at 11:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 210 Levels of Terror: TCB Edition (210 short but engaging levels, using nothing but TCB elements)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com