Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Accelerated Flooding (Clearing tar quickly)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1333
IP: Logged

File: Accelerated Flooding.hold (336.2 KB)
Downloaded 7 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Accelerated Flooding (+1)  
20 rooms of clearing tarstuff efficiently. There aren't any linchpins, and none of the rooms are overly difficult, but there are a few good challenges.

I'd like to know, in particular, if any of the rooms feel boring or repetitive to do, as that can happen in efficiency rooms. But any other comments are welcome, too!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 06-07-2024 04:05 AM]
05-07-2024 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Accelerated Flooding (0)  
It's a decent hold overall, and it's definitely very similar to the kind of things I would make - straightforward puzzles that rely on your combat tactics and efficiency, rather than devilishly brain melting rooms with an uber complicated solution like the last levels of The Second Sky.

05-07-2024 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 645

File: acc floo 1-4E.demo (6.1 KB)
Downloaded 5 times.
icon Re: Accelerated Flooding (+1)  
I gave this a try and my immediate thought was that it is a bit challenging; however, not too much to define it pretty hard. I'm liking it so far.
I played only up to 4E (but peeked at all of them) so here's my comments so far.

I don't think this is purely efficiency, you need some strategy to approach these rooms and, in rare cases, some tricks in the strategy could be defined as linchpin (at least for me) but I like this type of rooms.

Click here to view the secret text

Since you are allowing to visit all the rooms, once you arrive at 20E and you need to go back to clear old rooms (depending on how you clear them), it could be a bit boring. Is there a way to travel faster between rooms?

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-08-2024 07:25 PM]
05-08-2024 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Thanks for the feedback!

05-09-2024 at 05:06 AM
Red-XIII

File: af demos.demo (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 6 times.
6E: neat and relatively easy, I like this type of rooms. However, I expected that after the tar mothers were killed, the hot tiles after the spawn turn did not burn me, but they did. It was a bit annoying that I had no more clock to see when I was about to die because of that burn turn.

13E: definitely easier compared to the previous rooms, which I tried and failed (I'll try them again).
Also, challenge: kill the gel mother before taking the conquer token.

17E: definitely broke the room.

19E: quick and easy, not sure if it is supposed to be easy.

The scroll at 12E is wrong, it says "every 25 turns", but they are actually 18.

Lastly, I noticed that in the eastern rooms (like, beyond 13E), I have a "lag" after the clock resets to 0. I assume it's due to the time it takes the clock to go from 0 to (30 - room number where I am) and so on. Is it only me? I don't think there is a feature to prevent that, right?

05-10-2024 at 10:55 PM
kikuchiyo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 113
I don't usually play beta holds, but I tried this one, because I like tarstuff - at least I've thought so...

[Last edited by kikuchiyo at 05-11-2024 12:16 PM : typo]
05-11-2024 at 12:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Yeah, I have to do that time skip with a cutscene, and though it's on the fastest speed it still takes time, especially later.

I've built a of warp system - special command brings up a menu letting you warp to 0, 5, 10, or 20. But only if the room started clear or it has not yet been cleared (to avoid messing with demos).

6E: I'll force the threat clock to stay open here. Good catch.

12E: Yup, that scroll is wrong.

13E: Is that challenge harder than stepping on the conquer token first? Seems to me this difficulty is about equal either way.

19E: It's not supposed to be easy, per se, but it proved difficult for me to make challenging rooms when the timer is that short, as you can't really do that much between spawns.

------

4E: I won't deny that this is a tricky room. It's one of my favourites that I built.

7E:

8E: Yeah, I could definitely improve this room. I'll work on it. If nothing else, bringing the mirrors a little closer wouldn't hurt.

9E: This room takes a bit, but it shouldn't be that bad. It's really about efficiency.
05-12-2024 at 05:06 AM
Red-XIII

File: 12 and 18.zip (5.2 KB)
Downloaded 3 times.
13E: yes, they are about the same difficulty, didn't notice that.

18E: I was starting complaining that the room was too easy, until I realized that the order in which you open the doors is the key here. Using different orders the room would be WAY harder. I loved that I had to 1) find a good strategy 2)manage both horde and efficiency. Favourite room so far.
However, it could definitely use more checkpoints! Mainly before the mimic potions and near the doors.

12E: I stopped playing here because I have no idea what the heck happened. I attached a demo, but basically, I cut the tar and generated babies on the spawn turn, near the decoys, and the babies "run" towards them, like, they teleported. Not sure how to explain, see the demo. No idea if it is related to a bug or to a quirk in the scripting.
However, the room definitely should not have this type of behavior.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-12-2024 04:23 PM]
05-12-2024 at 02:44 PM
Someone Else
Unfortunately, those are real decoys in 12E, and the tar babies can move during cutscenes. I'm not quite sure how I'd fix that. :/ I should probably add a scroll indicating what can happen, at the least.

Glad you liked 18E! I'll put in a few more checkpoints.
05-13-2024 at 06:10 AM
Red-XIII

File: AF Rising Tide 10E Victory.demo (2.3 KB)
Downloaded 4 times.
I tried all of the rooms but could not manage to solve them apart from 10E, in which I probably did something unintended. Definitely a tough hold.

By the way, 17E is still broken.

05-17-2024 at 11:04 PM
Someone Else
Oh yeah, that's a US for 10E. (And 17E). Thanks, fixed them both!
05-18-2024 at 05:00 AM
Red-XIII

File: AF Rising Tide 17E failed.demo (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 2 times.
10E is fixed.

17E I'd say is 99.99999% fixed. I didn't say 100% because it might be possible to line up 7 tar babies in the correct movement order to "break" the room. I spent 30 minutes trying, but I failed.
I attached a demo where I managed to gather 6 babies. If it is possible, it would probably be way harder than the intended solution (which I still don't know what it is).

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 05-18-2024 11:07 PM]
05-18-2024 at 07:27 PM
Someone Else
If you can manage that in 17E, congrats! But here are some progressive hints for the room:

05-19-2024 at 12:02 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2484
icon Re: Accelerated Flooding (+2)  
I just had an idea about the decoys, if you want to adjust that.

One solution is to replace them with mimics in the cutscenes, then replace them back at the end of the cutscene.

This subroutine replaces all the decoys in the rooms with mimics and you can make the reverse by changing the Wait For Entity and Generate Entity commands. (note I edited it from a similar function on the fly, so there might be bugs)

Label ReplaceDecoysWithMimics
  Set var "_MyScriptX" = 0
  Set var "_MyScriptY" = 0
  Set var "_MyScriptW" = 0
  Set var "_MyScriptH" = 0
Label LoopX
  If ... 
        Wait until var "_MyScriptY" = 32
     Set var "_MyScriptX" = -9999
     Set var "_MyScriptY" = -9999
     Set var "_MyScriptW" = -9999
     Set var "_MyScriptH" = -9999
     Return
  If End 
Label LoopY
  If ... 
        Wait for entity type Decoy,0,0,0,0
     Get entity direction 0,0
     Attack tile 0,0,Kill
     Set var "_MyScriptW" = _ReturnX
     Set var "_MyScriptH" = -9999
     Generate entity Mimic,0,0,northwest
     Set var "_MyScriptW" = 0
     Set var "_MyScriptH" = 0
  If End 
  Set var "_MyScriptX" + 1
  If ... 
        Wait until var "_MyScriptX" = 38
     Set var "_MyScriptX" = 0
     Set var "_MyScriptY" + 1
     Go to LoopX
  If End 
  Go to LoopY

06-12-2024 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Accelerated Flooding (Clearing tar quickly)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com