Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Clones display as Beethro when viewed from another room
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2453
IP: Logged
icon Clones display as Beethro when viewed from another room (0)  
If your player role is changed, and you view a different room with a clone in it, the clone will look like Beethro rather than the current player role.
04-10-2024 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2394
icon Re: Clones display as Beethro when viewed from another room (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
If your player role is changed, and you view a different room with a clone in it, the clone will look like Beethro rather than the current player role.

If you're viewing a different room, it's possible that you might be a different player role by the time you enter that room. I'm not sure how the game is supposed to know what player role you'll be.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-10-2024 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2453
icon Re: Clones display as Beethro when viewed from another room (+1)  
The thing is, if I'm in a level where I'm switching player roles between rooms, it's not very weird to me if I look at a room, see a golem clone, and by the time I get there I'm a wubba. The weirdness is kind of baked in with swapping roles around.

But if I'm spending a whole level as a slayer, it feels jarring if I check a room and see Beethro clones. And even in the other case, it's weird to see Beethro if none of the roles I'm swapping between are Beethro.

That said, I'm not sure what I'd want to have happen with weapons. Should clones be drawn with your current weapon? Whatever your default weapon is currently set to? Should they be disarmed if you are? None of this really matters that much, but some of it's going to look weird to some people.

And do clones in other rooms respect your shallow water traversability? I hadn't thought about that before.

So this is opening a can of worms when thinking beyond just player roles. Maybe the current weirdness is better than trying to settle weirder questions. If there's any thoughts from hyperme or anyone else familiar with the code on what options are viable, though, I'd be interested in hearing them.
04-10-2024 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Clones display as Beethro when viewed from another room
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com