Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (Contest about backtracking)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.0/10 (1 votes)
σ 0.00
Author Name:0
Submitted By:bbb
Hold Name:Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking
Theme:Contest about backtracking
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:61
Number of Monsters:344
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Architectural Bad Habits Backtracking.hold (28.6 KB)
Downloaded 176 times.
License: Other
icon Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking  
A compilation the "Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking" contest.
12-15-2022 at 09:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (+2)  
bbb might want to remove all Backtracking Hub rooms from the high score list.

12-16-2022 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (+1)  
Do I enjoy giving this a low rating? Not really. But...

I get that the theme of the contest was "backtracking". Dragon Fogel's entry is actually a pretty neat take, though--

Click here to view the secret text

That aside, though, there's just too much in here that's just too painful to work through. There's a secret wall maze, with arrows. And dead-ends. There's a scripting-heavy entry that tells you a little too obliquely what you have to do ("OK, let me do the thing that it says, and...now I'm stuck, apparently I had to also do a thing it didn't say"). Even bbb's non-entry, which is kind of a nice overview of ways that architects use backtracking against the player, lacked checkpoints and therefore often required restoring a little farther back than one would like. (And why can't you leave most entries and return to the hub?)

There's some good in here, it's no Bad Evil Restaurant, but play at your own risk.
12-29-2022 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (+2)  
Tahnan wrote:
(And why can't you leave most entries and return to the hub?)

This was done to protect players from the backtracking issues. It was decided that each entry had to be completed after entered to prevent someone from permanently making an entry impossible to complete, leaving, playing several other entries, and then trying to go back to the first now impossible entry. By forcing players to complete the entry all at once, players would never have to restore back to before completing a different entry and then be forced to re-complete that other entry.

Not a perfect solution, but it was (probably) better than the alternative.

In hindsight, not having a blue door in the hub would probably have been a better solution to this problem.

12-29-2022 at 07:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (Contest about backtracking) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com