Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Fake Hold Review Contest
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Fake Hold Review Contest (+2)  
It's been a long time since we had a non-architecture contest, so I thought I'd post one.

The concept here is pretty simple: Write a review of a hold that doesn't actually exist. The review can be positive or negative, just try to make it interesting to read.

Rules:
-Reviews should start with the name of the imaginary hold and its author. If you want to use an actual forumgoer as the author, please get their permission first so they don't think it's a meanspirited joke. All other details of how the review should be organized are left to the entrants to determine.
-Reviews should be text only.
-There isn't a particular length limit on entries, but it's recommended that you keep them relatively short.
-You may submit up to three separate entries.
-Post your entries in the submission topic. You may wish to attach it as a text file of some sort, but as long as you keep it short, posting it in the thread should be fine.
-I probably can't verify that you didn't grab a random hold in Architecture and base your review on that hold, but I think we can all agree that's against the spirit of things. Although if taking inspiration from an existing hold, published or otherwise, helps you write your review, hey, go ahead.
-Similarly, don't go grabbing a review somebody wrote and submitting that. That would be plagiarism, although technically not if you're grabbing your own review. I don't actually expect this to be a problem, just noting it to be thorough.
-Deadline is May 5, 2022. Don't worry about the exact time it ends, I'm generally flexible on that.

After the deadline, I'll open a voting thread, which will run for two weeks.
04-05-2022 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Fake Hold Review Contest (0)  
As a possible resource, here is a list of hold titles submitted to the Hold Title Mix-Up Contest from a few years back, and a large number of hold titles from Xindaris:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=42670&page=0#418783

Maybe some contestants would like to review one of these "works".
04-05-2022 at 07:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 189
Do we need permission to review a fake official hold? If so, who do we ask?
04-05-2022 at 11:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
That's an idea that hadn't occurred to me.

I guess mrimer would be the person to ask?

Also, I guess I might as well note that I grant blanket permission for anybody to use me as the author of the hold they're reviewing. Anyone else who wants to do that is free to post in here saying so.
04-05-2022 at 04:50 PM
Dragon Fogel
The deadline is approaching and there's only a few entries!

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.
04-26-2022 at 09:03 PM
Dragon Fogel
Just a few days to the deadline! Get those reviews in!
05-01-2022 at 05:14 PM
Dragon Fogel
Only two days to go! Get those reviews in!
05-03-2022 at 11:56 PM
Dragon Fogel
Last day to enter!
05-05-2022 at 04:00 PM
Dragon Fogel
I'll close the contest when I wake up tomorrow. If you want to sneak in a last-minute entry, now's the time.
05-06-2022 at 06:10 AM
Dragon Fogel
Closing off entries.

There are a couple of people who did not submit titles or architects with their entries; I'll give them twelve hours to do so.

I also clearly didn't put enough thought into checking if people had permission to use real usernames for architects; so unless the name in question is mine, I'll change it to something similar. Including if the entrant used their own username, just to preserve anonymity.
05-06-2022 at 04:05 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
I can assure you that I got permission to use the Zch and Kallor names for my second entry.

05-06-2022 at 05:37 PM
Dragon Fogel
Fair enough. I just had one person who admitted to not having permission, and realized I wasn't sure for other people, as they happened to pick people who I haven't seen around the forum lately.

Also you could have told me that in a PM, but it's up to you whether to keep anonymity or not so whatever.
05-06-2022 at 08:01 PM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
I actually had a third entry ready, but the one I needed permission from still hasn't gotten back to me.

05-06-2022 at 08:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Fake Hold Review Contest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No