Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Dream Quest (A good run-based deckbuilder game.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Dream Quest (+2)  
https://store.steampowered.com/app/557410/Dream_Quest/
Windows and Mac.

This game has a nice quality of being enjoyable whether you play it fully engaged or in a casual click-and-see-what-happens way. It's easy to understand what all the cards do and form strategies.

The depth is there if you want it. These are random, procedurally-generated challenges that have no guarantee of "solvability" like DROD:RPG's handcrafted puzzles. But the same kind of optimization yields good results. Strategy is found in things like:
* fighting easier monsters first to grind up to better results on harder monsters.
* Planning when to use the different methods of gaining health so they aren't wasted
* Noticing synergies in the random cards you're given and making good use of them

There are several different classes to play, and each has a different distribution of cards and special skills. As far as I can tell, the monsters you fight all stay the same. The classes seems well-balanced while still having different play styles.

I've played 80 hours, with almost all of that under the Warrior and Thief classes. And I've not beaten a single run yet. So even with all that playtime, I've just barely scratched surface.

This is a great game. But is it a classic?

Yes. I've decided just now it is a classic. Enjoy!

-Erik

07-05-2021 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Dream Quest (+1)  
For those who prefer mobile, it's also available as an iOS app (and probably Android, too, but I don't know that for certain).
07-05-2021 at 12:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ssmithterrry
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Dream Quest (0)  
Recently I bought myself this game on incentive. I like to play more on the computer than on the phone. It is a pity that the graphics are not the best.
12-21-2021 at 06:50 AM
ErikH2000
I just finished beating the game with the last of the classes. And I found some extra fun writing up strategy guides on the Dream Quest wiki for Assassin, Druid, and Bard.

My favorite class is the Professor. It's really enjoyable to steal the cards from monsters that have been a great hassle when used against me.

-Erik

12-30-2021 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dojo_b
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
Any advice on general principles to improve at this kind of game? I've won with 2 or 3 classes, but still feel an abiding dumbness.
01-10-2022 at 08:42 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Dream Quest (+1)  
dojo_b wrote:
Any advice on general principles to improve at this kind of game? I've won with 2 or 3 classes, but still feel an abiding dumbness.
* Don't take all the cards, even the free ones from chests. You want to deliberately add to your hands.
* In line with the above, delay decisions about acquiring cards and other benefits on the first floor until you have an idea of what you want your deck to be like.
* Get good at predicting how tough fights are going to be. This allows you to be more strategic about setting the sequence of battles, using abilities, gaining health, etc.
* All the small pieces of information you pick up over multiple games will make your gameplay better. E.g. vampire has immunity to earth-based attacks.

-Erik

01-10-2022 at 04:00 PM
ErikH2000
I beat the Lord of the Dream. It seemed extremely impossible, but 40 or 50 attempts later (each one preceded with a successful run), I killed him to death.

If anyone is interested, I also wrote up a strategy guide for it on the Dream Quest Wiki.

Okay, now I'll do something more useful with the rest of my day. It's too bad game achievements don't transfer to real life.

-Erik

05-02-2022 at 06:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Dream Quest (A good run-based deckbuilder game.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com