Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Deep Rune (A DROD RPG style game I've been working on.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jcbailey1112
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
IP: Logged
icon Deep Rune (+9)  
This is a DROD RPG style game I've been working on called Deep Rune. It's pretty much DROD RPG as a side-scroller and is based on Norse mythology. ;)

Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1631780/Deep_Rune/

[Last edited by jcbailey1112 at 10-14-2021 05:55 PM]
06-17-2021 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ThemsAllTook
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 207
icon Re: Deep Rune (+4)  
Looks super cool!!
06-17-2021 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Deep Rune (+2)  
Fun!

I played through the demo with the first character. I reached the crossed out staircase from both sides. I reached level 12, but could probably at least reach level 13. I never understood what "sunstones" did. It seemed unintentional that MP didn't restore when I leveled up.

This far into the demo arrows seemed to have a LOT more value than HP-potions. This feels a bit odd, since the HP-potions cost more than twice as much as 5 arrows. I saved and loaded a bit, so I never "died and accepted the death", so to speak.
06-20-2021 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jcbailey1112
icon Re: Deep Rune (+1)  
Blondbeard wrote:
Fun!

I played through the demo with the first character. I reached the crossed out staircase from both sides. I reached level 12, but could probably at least reach level 13. I never understood what "sunstones" did. It seemed unintentional that MP didn't restore when I leveled up.

This far into the demo arrows seemed to have a LOT more value than HP-potions. This feels a bit odd, since the HP-potions cost more than twice as much as 5 arrows. I saved and loaded a bit, so I never "died and accepted the death", so to speak.
Hey. thanks for playing!

Some answers to your inquiries:
- The max level in the demo is exactly 14, assuming you are playing the most recent build. It is possible to go higher if you get a certain random trait from the boss early on.
- Sunstones = physical map markers (they show up on the minimap).
- MP not restoring on lv is indeed intentional, it'll become much easier to manage MP later on in the full game.
- Arrows are worth it at first, however the bow has limited shots since repairing reduces an item's max durability by 10 and the bow starts at 40/40 DUR. HP pots also become more useful the further you get.

[Last edited by jcbailey1112 at 10-18-2021 02:23 AM]
06-20-2021 at 10:50 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks for posting an announcement here.

Looks way cool!

Very excited for the release.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-15-2021 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jcbailey1112
icon Re: Deep Rune (+5)  
Just released the full version of Deep Rune today! :w00t

It's available on Steam, Itch, and GameJolt, though I recommend the Steam version as it supports achievements and leaderboards. Enjoy!

Download@:
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1631780/Deep_Rune/
Itch: https://jc-bailey.itch.io/deep-rune
Game Jolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/deeprune/625738
10-14-2021 at 01:35 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Deep Rune (+3)  
Yay! Congratulations on reaching this point, and thanks for posting the update here.

I picked up a copy on Steam right away. :thumbsup

I previously played through the demo too when it was released. Want to share some impressions I had.

Right from the beginning, the puzzling begins. The environment feels appropriately thematic, and the side-view experience is novel for a Magic Tower game and offers some fresh mechanics. The visual style and ambiance you apply in your games works for me here.

Playing with multiple characters! I went through with the first one, and after completing the two areas in the demo, I can see how the others could change the experience and possibly routing.

Playing through with the first character, I needed to take care to survive. I felt my exploration was rewarded. I liked seeing areas that were teased to me, though I wasn't able to access them right away. This gave me implicit goals to shoot for that I kept in the back of my mind.

Indeed, the way Magic Tower mechanics are applied here makes this experience feel like a Metroidvania, where new areas become accessible as you acquire new "powers", in a clean and natural way that just works in this genre. There was a logical progression to how areas opened up to me as I progressed, though also as in Metroidvanias, it may also be possible to "brute force" some secluded areas early if you feel like throwing enough resources at it (e.g., a gating or environmental challenge). This presents intriguing possibilities for further exploration and optimization trade-offs.

I tried to play through without dying, so I'm unsure how much the respawn option actually enables progression when a player gets stuck, but I like that the option is there to reduce the chance of the player hitting a hard wall at some point.

I like the auto-map functionality. The map shows that the demo covers two of possibly four total areas included in the full game. If this is an accurate representation of the total content in the game, it might feel a bit short (compared to, say, Myth Bearer), but I'm just guessing here. At its current price point, it's an automatic buy for me regardless. Also, I want to support developers who provide new takes on the Magic Tower genre.

After completing and mopping up in the first two areas, I feel quite pleased with the experience. I'm looking forward to what comes next. There appear to be multiple character development options that I have yet to unlock. I like how potential for spatial and movement puzzles in a side-view format is leveraged here. The included gaming widgets fit together nicely into the whole, hand-crafted package.

A must-play for anyone who likes Magic Tower games, and for those who simply like Metroidvanias for their ambiance and exploration, it's also worth checking out.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-14-2021 03:53 PM]
10-14-2021 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jcbailey1112
Thanks for the feedback!

Don't let the number of levels fool you, Deep Rune has roughly the same amount of content as Myth Bearer, but with the added replayability of having multiple characters.

Click here to view the secret text

Won't say anything more though to avoid spoiling things, enjoy your playthrough! :D

[Last edited by jcbailey1112 at 10-18-2021 07:29 PM]
10-14-2021 at 05:29 PM
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Deep Rune (0)  
I'm glad to see this is finished, but so far I'm having pretty much the same problem as in the demo, which is that I almost immediately can't tell what I should be trying to achieve. In the best case scenario, I'm able to get the longsword, which makes various opponents somewhat easier. But fighting past all the ones that appear to be gating something just gets me access to an area that is clearly beyond my current strength. I assume there's a non-obvious mechanic I'm missing, like
, but I've spent some time fiddling around and mostly just end up dying.
10-17-2021 at 10:34 PM
jcbailey1112
Gordius wrote:
I'm glad to see this is finished, but so far I'm having pretty much the same problem as in the demo, which is that I almost immediately can't tell what I should be trying to achieve. In the best case scenario, I'm able to get the longsword, which makes various opponents somewhat easier. But fighting past all the ones that appear to be gating something just gets me access to an area that is clearly beyond my current strength. I assume there's a non-obvious mechanic I'm missing, like
, but I've spent some time fiddling around and mostly just end up dying.

[Last edited by jcbailey1112 at 10-18-2021 12:16 AM]
10-17-2021 at 11:41 PM
mrimer
Thank you for the assurance about game length. Sounds great, and I'm fine with not being spoiled about anything more. Also glad to hear about the scoring system.
Gordius wrote:
I'm glad to see this is finished, but so far I'm having pretty much the same problem as in the demo, which is that I almost immediately can't tell what I should be trying to achieve. In the best case scenario, I'm able to get the longsword, which makes various opponents somewhat easier. But fighting past all the ones that appear to be gating something just gets me access to an area that is clearly beyond my current strength. I assume there's a non-obvious mechanic I'm missing
I actually missed something obvious in hindsight that made a big difference for me near the beginning:

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-19-2021 04:00 PM]
10-19-2021 at 04:00 PM
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Deep Rune (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I actually missed something obvious in hindsight that made a big difference for me near the beginning:

I didn't miss this (at least not as you're describing it), but I maybe take issue with the word
. Unless there's something different I'm missing, only about a third of that is available initially.
10-19-2021 at 05:44 PM
greenscience
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 141
Look at that room more carefully.

While exploring mechanics found that Thief takes less damage when falling from a height of 5 than the formula suggests when falling from other heights. Could be deliberately set that way to enable alternative starting moves compared to other characters. Will have to see whether other rooms also have a 5 height fall.
10-20-2021 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jcbailey1112
greenscience wrote:
Look at that room more carefully.

While exploring mechanics found that Thief takes less damage when falling from a height of 5 than the formula suggests when falling from other heights. Could be deliberately set that way to enable alternative starting moves compared to other characters. Will have to see whether other rooms also have a 5 height fall.

10-20-2021 at 08:12 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Deep Rune (A DROD RPG style game I've been working on.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com