Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : End of the Endless Nothing (in Akandia)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon End of the Endless Nothing (+1)  
A thought just occurred to me about the puzzle from GatEB where you find coordinates to walk to in the desert. There's obviously a variable that tracks where you are, but the DROD engine only allows scripting variables to go up to 2147483647.

So what happens if someone uses a heavy object or something to hold down a movement key and leaves Gunthro walking for however long it takes to reach that threshold. What kind of contingency plan does the scripting have for someone that crazy?

Personally, I would have set it up so that if a coordinate variable is maxed out, you'll still get teleported to the opposite side of the room if you try to go further, but the number will stay the same until you backtrack.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 04-17-2021 12:01 AM]
04-17-2021 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: End of the Endless Nothing (+2)  
If a screen transition takes 1 second, you're welcome to try it for 68 years and report back here.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
04-17-2021 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: End of the Endless Nothing (+1)  
Not a fanciful answer...

There's a pretty good chance you will loop around and come back to the same location. Just liked you hoped.

Why? Because in C++, incrementing past the highest value that can be stored will loop to the lowest value.

-Erik

04-17-2021 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: End of the Endless Nothing (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
If a screen transition takes 1 second, you're welcome to try it for 68 years and report back here.

Yeah, I might have to borrow Emm for that.

04-17-2021 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : End of the Endless Nothing (in Akandia)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com