Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : So You Want To Be A Knight (A work in progress in Arthurian myth)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged

File: sketch-joustingarea.png (51.3 KB)
Downloaded 1236 times.
License: Public Domain
icon So You Want To Be A Knight (0)  

After an unfortunately not-so-inspiring 2020, Crystal Shard is working to return to the adventure gaming scene. And after Celtic mythology in ATOTK, and Nordic mythology in HQ:THOR, this time the setting is the Matter of Britain: Arthurian Myth.

I'm sure many of you know the most famous story: there's King Arthur who's looking for the Grail, and a love triangle between himself, his wife Guinevere, and his first knight Launcelot... and that's NOT what the game is about. Did you know these stories have a cast of well over a hundred knights, with their own rivalries, monsters, and quests? Would this be a great space to explore in an adventure game? Omens point to YES.

Meet Sir Launcelot the Brave. Sir Sagramore the Just. And Sir Bob the... well... I'm sure he has a great personality! Against a supporting cast of peasants, fairies, and Roman invaders, Bob really wants to become a Knight; and the other knights think he's far too wimpy. And to prove them wrong, Bob just might have to save the kingdom first...

A work in progress; stay tuned for more news.

[Last edited by Radiant at 02-26-2021 09:44 PM]
02-26-2021 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: So You Want To Be A Knight (0)  
Glad to see you still have more projects on the go. I remember Spiderweb Software had Nethergate(?) which focused on Roman and Celtic conflict, and quite liked the setting. Europe as a wole has a ton of history and mythology in every region, and it's always nice to see games explore those themes. Is this an early concept piece, or do you have quite a bit more fleshed out already?

And that reminds me, I ought to give ATOTK another play, it's been very many years since I played it, and I think I even had to use a guide to get through to one of the endings.

04-02-2021 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
I have quite a bit fleshed out, and a lot of the game code is functional. Graphics are in progress, most rooms have been drawn. To be continued :P

04-12-2021 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Simosps
Rank Points: 10
I'm happy to see that you are back in action with a new game. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Also, it would be great if you could post some character sprites, or game backgrounds if you have any ready. :D :D :D :D

[Last edited by Simosps at 04-16-2021 01:08 PM]
04-16-2021 at 01:07 PM
Paviel
Rank Points: 10
I'm sure many of you know the most famous story: there's King Arthur who's looking for the Grail, and a love triangle between himself, his wife Guinevere, and his first knight Launcelot... and that's NOT what the game is about.

Which is good, because that's pretty much what Conquests of Camelot was about.

Since this won't be the first adventure game set in Arthurian Britain, I hope it won't be too similar to it either.
08-06-2021 at 04:14 AM
Radiant
Paviel wrote: Since this won't be the first adventure game set in Arthurian Britain, I hope it won't be too similar to it either.
The aim is that it won't be. Among other things, the main character is not King Arthur; there are no arcade sequences; and you do not travel to Gaza or Jerusalem, or indeed Glastonbury. And COC characters like Fatima or Gawaine won't show up here, whereas other Arthurian characters like Morgana and Culhwch are included. Sir Launcelot does show up in both, because he's the first knight for a reason.

08-09-2021 at 11:18 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : So You Want To Be A Knight (A work in progress in Arthurian myth)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com