Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Notation-only chess server (Does one exist?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon Notation-only chess server (+2)  
Sometimes I feel like DROD enthusiasts are generally the kind of people I can go to for a straight answer to any bizarre question I have where regular googling just has too much to sort through.

Anyway, some may remember a game called Battle Chess. I was just watching a video where a guy made the classic 80s version play against the sleek new 2015 model. And It gave me an epiphany.

What if you could play chess across the internet, but you and your opponent are using completely different programs? Like, maybe you have a program that renders all the pieces as samurai that do a little swordfight animation whenever they capture a piece, while your opponent might see a board where all the pieces are cute woodland critters. But all the moves are the same, and you don't even need to know what the other guy's board is themed as.

So I thought, is there a web server that runs chess games, and uses standard chess notation as strings of text to communicate moves with any program that interfaces with it?

09-26-2020 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Notation-only chess server (+1)  
So I thought the question was interesting and I haven't looked super deep into it yet, but Lichess seems to have an API that would allow for this. It's somewhat limited apparently and so far, there don't seem to be a lot of client programs for it, but it's totally something you could do if you have some spare time on your hands.

Honestly, somewhat surprised this isn't more common, because as far as I know computer chess is pretty standardized. Possibly connected to cheat prevention.
09-26-2020 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
I don't think cheat prevention is an issue. The server can easily verify whether or not a given move is valid by replaying the previous moves it received in the current game and checking legality against that game state. As long as that verification is done server-side, there's no way to cheat.

09-27-2020 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
icon Re: Notation-only chess server (+46)  
Ah, no, I meant cheating in the sense of "I'm gonna outsmart everyone and use an engine to find the best moves, hahaha, no one will ever know." Which, for some reason, appears to be a real problem on chess servers. I guess people just really like maximizing Fake Internet Points.
09-27-2020 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I see what someone did there. :ninja

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-29-2020 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Man, had I known that it was so easy to gain Fake Internet Points, I wouldn't have spent the last few months trying to cheat my way to the top of a chess server and focused on playing DROD instead.
09-29-2020 at 10:11 AM
ssmithterrry
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Notation-only chess server (0)  
I like to play chess and often just play on the computer. Sometimes I even make predictions at https://oddsdigger.com/ca/chess. It's a pity there aren't many chess tournaments going on right now.

[Last edited by ssmithterrry at 01-26-2022 10:50 AM]
01-26-2022 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Notation-only chess server (Does one exist?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com