Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Castle (Big one level hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.8/10 (6 votes)
σ 0.69
Author Name:Cortez
Submitted By:1stCortez
Hold Name:Castle
Theme:Big one level hold
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:117
Number of Monsters:307
Version:DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (1.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+10 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Castle.drh (81.5 KB)
Downloaded 183 times.
License: Other
icon Castle  
My first hold, hot tiles, no lucky blade, no aumtlich, secret ending.
11-07-2019 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Castle (+3)  
This is a large-ish RPG hold that feels very "vintage". Which has both good sides and not-so-good sides:

The good: This has a nice sense of adventure and progression to it. Beating it isn't terribly hard, but the choices offered here never feel trivial. I never felt like I had so much health that I didn't have to worry about stuff, while I also never hit a huge roadblock and had to restore more than a few decisions back. Hot tiles are probably slightly annoying if you really want to optimize this hold, but in normal play, they feel very reasonable.

The not so good: The open structure means there's a lot of backtracking in the hold if you want to play even close to optimally. And I mean A Lot. What makes the matter worse is that there are so little shortcuts between sections and often, opening them costs valuable resources.

There's a very classic accessory swap chain that is required for the secret ending, and two of the accessories are hidden behind secret walls. I dislike those in RPG even more than in regular DROD, as in regular DROD, secret rooms are hardly ever required for progression at least.

Finally, as usual when using standard monsters and no money sinks like altars, the Greckle curve feels completely off. Apart from a few times very early in the hold, I never felt like I had to care about Greckles at all. Which would be okay, if there weren't still a few Greckle gates late game that just feel very uninteresting.

Okay, that was a lot of complaining, but I still enjoyed the hold overall. I just think a few more improvements could have turned this from a good hold into a great one. But hey, that's what first holds are for: Making mistakes and learning from them.

5.5 brains, 7 fun.
10-15-2020 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Von Wibble
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
icon Re: Castle (+2)  
Just completed it, needed to use the editor to find one of the secret walls which was what really slowed me down.

Overall I think Lucky Luc summarises it well - a lot of backtracking, more than many other larger holds have, and greckle gates were basically free stuff once you got past the first blue door.

I thought the health was very stingy throughout, which made for some tough decisions. There were times where I was tempted to make trades like yellow key for 200HP - but in the end I didn't do that and got through.

Also felt that a lot of the hold became more beatable once you got
Click here to view the secret text

Overall I'd go 7 for fun (higher early but the backtracking and hot tiles ding it a bit), 6 for brains.
08-30-2021 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Castle (Big one level hold) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com