Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What am I missing? (I don't know what I don't know)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
davidatk100
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon What am I missing? (+3)  
Hi Everyone, I started playing DROD over ten years ago (Sometimes with breaks that lasted several years). I've learned many cool things about DROD and I'm still discovering awesome new features. It makes me wonder what I haven't discovered yet. I'll list some of my discoveries below and if you know something I don't please share it!

One of the best things is the Hints and Solutions (H&S) Board. It's pretty self explanatory and is the best way to look for hints and/or solutions to any published holds. It can be found by clicking 'search' under the Caravel Forum banner on the top left and then clicking 'the Hints and Solutions board'. a link can also be found in game by pressing the 'enter' key and then selecting 'help for this room' (I haven't got the game open so I might be slightly wrong).

Secondly, new content is freely available and is always outstanding quality (shout out to all the architects). They can be downloaded from the Caravel Games website http://forum.caravelgames.com/holds.php. My only gripe is that I find most of them too difficult. However, you can filter by difficulty so I'm able to stick to easier holds! When a hold is too difficult the H&S often has hints. These can be downloaded in game with a Caravel membership.

One feature of the game I really like is the buttons which allow you to make another move opposite to your previous move. I can't remember what they're called. One button (I think it's '+') reverses the previous move. For example, if your last move was to move forward and you press '+', you will move back. If you press it again, you will move forward. If you hold the button, you will move forward and back repeatedly. The other button (I think is 'ctrl') has the same effect but works slightly differently. It has to be held while you make a move and will immediately make a second move which is opposite to the first move. For example, holding 'ctrl' while moving left, you will immediately make two moves: one to more left and the second to move right. These buttons are really handy to quickly kill hoards of creatures very quickly - as long as you don't care too much about how many moves it takes.

Another really awesome feature is custom clocks. I use a clock created by Jutt http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=17621&page=0#387807). Instructions to install it should be in the same topic. It shows different game elements helps for anticipate their behaviour. I'm curious to know if other people have a different one they prefer. There are other game elements which can be changed but I think the clock is the main one.

I haven't confirmed it yet but I suspect there are some clever ways to search for holds and forum posts. For example, I have noticed that if you're viewing an architect's profile, there is a link to 'View holds created by [user]'. This is takes you to the holds page which is filtered by architect. Similarly, if you are at the Caravel Forum main page, there is a link to view 'Today's active posts'. Does anyone know if it's possible to search holds and forum posts by other criterea (other than the standard forum search). For example, is it possible to search for yesterdays posts? Or search for topics (instead of searching for posts)? Or do a text search by hold name?

What have I missed?
06-28-2019 at 07:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Re: What am I missing? (+2)  
http://forum.caravelgames.com/roomsearch.php lets you search for rooms by what's in them.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/map.php lets you view whole levels at once. Nice for levels with room art and the like.

If you have CaravelNet and upload your progress, your high score "My Stats" page will show you which holds you have visited and conquered, and you can also see a list of which rooms you have yet to solve in a particular hold. You can also download and sort holds within the game, although I forget if there's any additional filters or sort criteria.
06-28-2019 at 08:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What am I missing? (I don't know what I don't know)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com