Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dungeon of Destinies (Each level is centered around a specific theme / concept)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azure2s
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
IP: Logged

File: Dungeon of Destinies v4_1.hold (31.4 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Dungeon of Destinies (+6)  
I've been a fan of DROD for many years already, but this is the first time I've finally decided to design a hold.

My goals for this hold are to make it challenging but in a fun way (not in a frustratingly difficult way), and I'm trying to make it as professional as possible (leaning more towards official than fan-made vibes).

Furthermore, I plan to make each level of this hold center around a single theme or concept, with increasingly difficult variations / applications of the same theme as the player progresses through the rooms.

I have finished one level with around 15 rooms (plus maybe a secret ;) ). I thought it'd be a good idea to share it here to get feedback so I can improve it. If you like it, I'd like to continue working on it and make more levels until it becomes a complete hold.

I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did making it! :D
--------------
CURRENT LEVEL LIST:
First Level - tested, but more feedback is always welcome!
Second Level - tested, but more feedback is always welcome!
Third Level - not yet tested
Fourth Level - not yet tested

Stairs for testing can be found in the first room of the first level, so you can skip to any level you want :thumbsup

--------------
LATEST VERSION: v4.1: Added Fourth Level :D

[Last edited by azure2s at 08-04-2019 04:01 PM]
05-19-2018 at 10:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Dungeon of Destinies (+2)  
This is a really nice start to your hold! :thumbsup

1S: Simple introduction to the level's theme.
2S: Now it's more of a horde room. Fun, but the checkpoint is badly placed; the player is going to spend most of their time close to the doors.
3S1E: Seems to be broken. I can just kill the snake straight off and then lead the roach out. Or was that the intention?
4S1E: Now the snake doesn't start in the loop and I have to lead him in; still simple enough. Used the 2-tile door to kill the snake at the end.
3S1W: Chaotic eye room with a timer. This is okay, but the problem is that after coming close, it feels like trial and error to make up the last few moves. More checkpoints would be appreciated, and especially one in the chamber where the player has the decision whether to hit the orb or not.
4S1W: Looks nasty, haven't tried yet.
5S: Very tricky as the fuse timer gives you no moves to spare, but I eventually got it.
4S2E: Now this is a really good room, with some good old-fashioned brained horde smiting, but the periodic releases give it its own unique flavour. The extra doors to indicate which orbs have already been hit is a very nice quality-of-life touch.
5S2E: A neat puzzle about getting the adder to the right length for each side. After entering this room, the player is stuck here until they've solved it, which seems unnecessary. Can't you just take the SW force arrows out?
6S1E: Hot tile combat is pretty easy when the roaches are only coming from a vertical direction. I ended up having to play most of this twice, since the south orb closes the door east of it, so Beethro has to take the north route in the cleanup phase, so the eye at 19,20 must still be alive to prevent roaches spilling into the force arrow area. If this was an intentional linchpin, fine, you got me, but I still suggest fixing it (for instance by removing the 10,30 door) as it's more an annoyance than an interesting puzzle component.
6S: Fun but needs more checkpoints, it's so easy to get stuck in a situation where undo isn't enough.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 05-19-2018 01:19 PM]
05-19-2018 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720

File: Dungeon of Destinies - mauve.demo (15.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
icon Re: Dungeon of Destinies (+2)  
Dungeon of Destinies:

First of all, I’m glad to see a new architect around here. I’m excited to see what you’ve put together. As is my usual with testing, I’ll just keep a log of my thoughts as I go. I’ve also attached a set of demos to this post for you to check, in case you want to see if I’ve solved any rooms in unintended trivial ways.

Click here to view the secret text

Overall thoughts: I didn’t care for the first few rooms at first, but the level grew on me once I started getting to the interesting stuff. This is a very solid set of rooms based around a common theme, and I think that you’ve done a great job with this. There are a few things that I didn’t like, but I’d also like to say that some of that might just come down to personal preference. I’ve received feedback that people wanted some of my rooms to be longer, so me saying a room is too long may just be a reflection of my personal style of architecture.

05-19-2018 at 02:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azure2s
icon Re: Dungeon of Destinies (+4)  
Wow, thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

Nuntar wrote: 3S1E: Seems to be broken. I can just kill the snake straight off and then lead the roach out. Or was that the intention?
> You're right. Thank you very much for this. The serpented was intended to be killed last. I relocated the orb for killing the serpent behind the brain so the player is forced to kill the brain first if he wanted to kill the serpent.

Nuntar wrote: 6S1E: Hot tile combat is pretty easy when the roaches are only coming from a vertical direction.
> I reduced the number of cycles in the first hot tile area to become less repetitive, as it was pretty easy after all.

Nuntar wrote: I ended up having to play most of this twice, since the south orb closes the door east of it, so Beethro has to take the north route in the cleanup phase, so the eye at 19,20 must still be alive to prevent roaches spilling into the force arrow area. If this was an intentional linchpin, fine, you got me, but I still suggest fixing it (for instance by removing the 10,30 door) as it's more an annoyance than an interesting puzzle component.
> Yes, this was an intentional lynchpin. To improve it a bit, I replaced the closing yellow door with a trapdoor instead (which achieves the same effect but at least it is more emphasized to the player that there is no backtracking from that side).

mauvebutterfly wrote: I see that there’s no actual challenge scripting here. DRODscript is an arcane tool, but setting up a challenge like this isn’t actually too bad.
> I did not know that it was possible to do that (sorry, newbie architect here, haven't tried my hands at scripting). This is something I'll definitely look into sometime in the future. Thanks a lot.

mauvebutterfly wrote: 5S3E: I think it’s common practice at this point to have a checkpoint near the stairs, in case the player decides to restore to this level for a secret hunt after completing the hold.
> So that's why there are checkpoints in the stairs in the official holds! I did not know this. Thanks a lot.

I have updated the hold to v1.2.

The major updates are as follows:
- Fixed puzzle-breaking bug in 3S1E (described above).
- Made minor modifications to some rooms (described above).
- Relocated / added several checkpoints throughout the level to more helpful places.

Feel free to send in more feedback! :D

05-19-2018 at 06:49 PM
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
icon Re: Dungeon of Destinies (0)  
Just played the level and completed all rooms, it was pretty fun. Waiting to see the next levels :)

Something needs to be fixed:
Once 6S completed, when we get back to 6S1E we can't exit the room. The only way to open red door is to go east but then we can't come back nor go north as the door is closed. unless i'm missing something, then tell me.
05-19-2018 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azure2s

File: Dungeon of Destinies v1-3.hold (9.4 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Dali wrote:
Once 6S completed, when we get back to 6S1E we can't exit the room. The only way to open red door is to go east but then we can't come back nor go north as the door is closed. unless i'm missing something, then tell me.

> You're right. Thank you for this. I added a green gate that allows you to exit the room from this situation. :)

[Last edited by azure2s at 05-20-2018 04:44 AM]
05-20-2018 at 04:00 AM
mauvebutterfly
icon Re: Dungeon of Destinies (+4)  
Oops. I meant to include a section on how to script the challenge in-game. I’ll just do that here. There are many different ways to do this, so I’ll just write out how I would do it.

To use DRODscript, you need to first place a scripting character somewhere in the room. This is the green-haired citizen at the bottom-right of the monster tab. This character is normally invisible, so the player won’t see it while playing the room. Put it wherever you want.

Adding a variable to your hold:

Scripting the challenge:
I’m going to just list the lines of code that I would use here. Every new line begins with > for ease of reading this text. Comments will follow each line explaining why I am using it. Comment lines begin with // and don’t need to be added to your scripting.

Since that’s really messy to read with all the comments, here is what the final script should look like one more time. Since I don’t have comments this time, I will also not write > for new lines. If you followed the above instructions correctly, your code should look exactly like this:

One final note: some architects include seeding beacons in rooms with challenges, so that the player can beat the room, move on, and later come back, use the beacon, and attempt the challenge. It’s up to you if you want to include beacons in your hold for this purpose or not.

05-20-2018 at 05:07 AM
azure2s

File: Dungeon of Destinies v2-1.hold (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Hello guys! Today I have my first major update. The Second Level is finished! As always, feel free to test it and give me your feedback so I can improve it. :D Hoping to make a fun, epic hold!

I temporarily added stairs in the first room to skip levels for your convenience.

P.S. thanks to mauvebutterfly, the achievement in level 1 is now scripted! :thumbsup

05-23-2018 at 06:12 PM
mauvebutterfly

File: Dungeon of Destinies - mauve.demo (23.7 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
First Level:

Second Level:

Thanks for adding the stairs for testing. Also glad to see a checkpoint in the final room of level 1. The second level looks like it has an interesting theme as well. I’m looking forward to this.

06-02-2018 at 06:20 AM
azure2s

File: Dungeon of Destinies v2_2.hold (17.2 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
mauvebutterfly wrote:
First Level:

Second Level:

Thanks for adding the stairs for testing. Also glad to see a checkpoint in the final room of level 1. The second level looks like it has an interesting theme as well. I’m looking forward to this.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I'm really seeing the value of other people playtesting the hold, as you were able to uncover quite a bunch of things that I did not intend. I'll enumerate them here:

I uploaded an updated version of the hold (v 2.2), based on your feedback. In addition to these, there is a new achievement to get in Second Level 3N2E. I hope I got the scripting right.

I also fixed the achievement in the First Level.

The Third Level is almost complete, but I'm not including it in this version yet. It should be ready in a few days. :)

[Last edited by azure2s at 06-02-2018 10:08 AM]
06-02-2018 at 09:01 AM
mauvebutterfly

File: Dungeon of Destinies Copy - mauve.demo (12.1 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Version 2.2

It looks like you copied your hold. The problem with doing this is that I needed to clear a bunch of rooms again if I wanted to make demos. I know that I could manually save demos for each room while playing them in the editor, but I don’t think I’d remember to do that with each and every room. Anyway, here are the comments and demos for the changed stuff.

06-02-2018 at 11:40 AM
azure2s

File: Dungeon of Destinies v3_1.hold (25 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
Hey guys, I have added the Third Level of the hold! :thumbsup

As always, I'd appreciate any feedback from you! :)

Aside from this, I made these changes:
> I fixed the achievement script in Second Level 3N2E. It should be working properly now.
> I fixed 4N in Second Level. mauvebutterfly's most recent solution was still a bit unintended, so I made some modifications.
> Made minor adjustments in checkpoints.

As for the issue with the hold copy:
mauvebutterfly wrote:
It looks like you copied your hold. The problem with doing this is that I needed to clear a bunch of rooms again if I wanted to make demos.

Sorry for this. From 3.1 onwards I will be using the original hold file. :)

Happy smiting! :D

06-03-2018 at 12:46 PM
azure2s

File: Dungeon of Destinies v4_1.hold (31.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Hello everyone.

I had a long hiatus, but I finally had the time to update this hold! There are now four levels in total. As usual, testing and any feedback is much appreciated. :)

So far, the third and fourth levels need testing. Additional feedback in previous levels is also welcome, of course.

08-04-2019 at 03:58 PM
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: Dungeon of Destinies- KituU demos.demo (37.3 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
Hi, very nice, demos and comments

11-23-2019 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dungeon of Destinies (Each level is centered around a specific theme / concept)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com