Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Rock Candy Mines (Classic, simple gameplay)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (6 votes)
σ 0.47
Author Name:Leylite
Submitted By:Chaco
Hold Name:Rock Candy Mines
Theme:Classic, simple gameplay
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:60
Number of Monsters:317
Version:DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (1.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: rockcandymines_sep22.drh (18.8 KB)
Downloaded 322 times.
License: Other
icon Rock Candy Mines  
Here's a relatively simple hold, which represents my attempt to make a very focused build. This hold should be fairly easy to beat with regular attention paid to choices, but it should be fairly well balanced with respect to routing, as well as many incidental choices. Therefore, I hope optimizing this hold should be pitched at that perfect point between being too easy, and too difficult, and that it'll be great to spot a subtle point. This hold should make clear the differences between "immediate costs" and "opportunity costs".

This hold contains no particular plot, no speech or cutscenes, and no DROD puzzles. It also has no hot tiles or Aumtlich. Goblin and eyeball hits are very infrequent, so for the most part it is just statistic optimization, not any kind of movement puzzle.

Thanks to testers:

kieranmillar
Nuntar
Someone Else
superluminal
12-12-2016 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
IP: Logged
icon Re: Rock Candy Mines (0)  
It looks like Chaco read my mind, because I was really looking forward for a relatively simple, classic gameplay hold, since I played all RPG holds out there. I think that the architect managed to do what he said in the first topic, which is building a hold that is both easy and hard to optimize, with many routes avaible but still no one specific in mind that trivialize the hold.
One thing I'd like to point out is that the hold IS backtrackable, I don't think this is always obvious.

Well done, even though the hold is short it's quite funny and once again (at least from my perspective) you managed to accomplish what you had in mind.

12-13-2016 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Rock Candy Mines (Classic, simple gameplay) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com