Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Cheeseville (Yay for randomness.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

1.9/10 (32 votes)
σ 0.96
Author Name:mike
Submitted By:
Hold Name:Cheeseville
Theme:Yay for randomness.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:9
Number of Monsters:712
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Cheeseville.hold (7.6 KB)
Downloaded 2253 times.
License: Other
icon Cheeseville  
It is my first rather pathetic attempt at making a hold. Tis nothing all that difficult or complex, but I tried. Have fun...well..try to. :D

I heart suggestions, so give me some. Or else.
10-10-2004 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Cheeseville (+1)  
admin wrote:
It is my first rather pathetic attempt at making a hold. Tis nothing all that difficult or complex, but I tried. Have fun...well..try to. :D

Hmm... That one won't be too easy.

I heart suggestions, so give me some. Or else.

Well, for starters...

The Theme:

Yay for randomness.

This isn't the only random hold I've played, and I have to say too that I don't like this one either, although someone's going to say to me at some point, "Stop moaning - it's meant to be random. If you don't like it, then don't play it."

However, I've got to ask you one question. In your quest for randomness, did you stop to consider whether or not anyone will like your hold?

I do understand that many people on this forum generally do like randomness, but in this hold, there is a lot of tedium, followed by annoying scrolls, which I guess would test the patience of quite a few people.

Considering the target audience, this hold, and so therefore you, are not exactly going to get the reputation you may want as a hold designer. If you want to get people to play holds you make in future, then this sort of approach to hold building isn't a very good idea.

10-10-2004 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
Yes. I do realize that it kind of sucked and was easy and monotonous after playing through it like 48475897 times, but I kept myself entertained all day by designing the 'taco' thing and playing through the hold twice. Next time I have a day off from work, I will try to make a hold with an actual theme and something with difficulty in it. Thank you muchly. :D

I didn't really think about anything except for having something distract my ADHD. I honestly don't even know why I even posted it in the first place. *deletes it*...Bye bye seizure in the hold editor! yay!

Maybe I should just play holds made by people with actual hold-making talent for a while.

10-11-2004 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
It's a decent hold, but I think that it should have been posted on the Architecture forum before posting it on the Holds forum, as it is only for Completed, Bug Free holds.

Honestly, I enjoyed it. It's a good break from a lot of the other holds I've played. 1S 1W is impossible though.
Note the two-square wide area before the mother that makes it impossible to reach. Good job otherwise, though.

10-11-2004 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
AHAHAH...sorry about that thing in that room...by 'playing through it 746550874 times,' I meant 'Looked at it quickly to see if there was anything impossible, but I didn't notice.'

I would be fixing it right now, except my computer monitor is broken, and I can't see anything because the LCD cracked due to being overheated. I am currently at a friend's house typing this, and I sort of can't fix it until I get enough money to buy a new monitor...and yes, I'm going good ol' CRT. So sorry about that. If it makes you feel better, I could try to guess where everything is on my monitor, and try to fix it that way, but I'm no good at guessing. :(!!!

used LCD monitor + no video cooling = sad me. :(

11-01-2004 at 09:01 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
icon Re: Cheeseville (0)  
The weed whacker-esque roach room was funny, but I didn't get the 'subliminal message', the tar room and entrance were nothing special, the brain and normal mazes were tiresome, the orb room was just idiotic and the eye maze was tedious (no point in mentioning the last room).

:thumbsdown Random is fine when it's done well, but when most of the rooms feature a scroll describing how much I'll hate you after trying to finish it and why, the vibe really starts to sink in. Fortunately, it was only 8 rooms... my sanity thanks you (what's left of it, anyway).

EDIT: Am I correct in guessing that the picture shown changed with the hold changes, or was that the way it originally appeared? Because otherwise the assertion that the room is impossible is (and was) incorrect....

[Last edited by BDR at 12-19-2006 01:33 AM]
12-19-2006 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
BDR wrote:
EDIT: Am I correct in guessing that the picture shown changed with the hold changes, or was that the way it originally appeared? Because otherwise the assertion that the room is impossible is (and was) incorrect....

Yes, this is a forum-generated room image (rather than a screenshot), and it automatically matches the current version of the hold.

12-19-2006 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Cheeseville (+3)  
There were some entertaining rooms in this hold but you seemed to go out of your way to make it annoying (as indicated on the scrolls at least) as possible. Going long routes around things and lots of enemies in certain places and such. It could have some potential though and it looked like you knew what you were doing but as it was, it was almost like you took all the things people didn't care for and stuffed them into one hold.

Even so, I enjoyed the "cheesiness" of it all. Thanks!

05-24-2011 at 01:42 PM
cheese obsessive
lol well I'm glad you managed to find a way to enjoy it...but may I suggest you check out the real hold I built once I grew out of that "I'm 12 and I just discovered the internet" phase. ;)
05-26-2011 at 03:36 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
That looks much better. Hopefully I get a chance to play it once I finish some other things :)

05-26-2011 at 01:04 PM
Rat Man
Rank Points: 121
Yay for subliminal messaging!
What was that? Was that some sort of logo or something?

05-26-2011 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Cheeseville (Yay for randomness.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com