Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Azb's Dungeon (First shot at a real hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
IP: Logged

File: King Azbs Dungeon V6.hold (27.5 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon King Azb's Dungeon (+3)  
I spent two whole months building this, and the result is a 10-level mix of easy and hard puzzles, to balance out and make a medium 4-brain hold. Just a warning ahead: there is some scripted NPC's in puzzles, but as long as you read the scrolls, you will understand what's going on.

Also, Level 8 is a slashfest level; there will be massive waves. There's tactics to it, so I don't call it "hack n' slash" but it does take a long time.

Update 1: Checkpoints added for a more professional look.

Update 2: Corrected a few flaws in Second Level.

Update 3: Made a few fixes in Levels 8-10.

Update 4: Fixed slight scripting bug in Level 10 7N.

[Last edited by azb at 10-26-2014 06:26 PM]
10-26-2014 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (+1)  
Sounds interesting, and I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

But I can't do that until you add checkpoints. I've had a little look ahead in the editor, and so far I have not seen a single checkpoint in the entire hold. Every non-trivial room must have at least one.

10-26-2014 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (0)  
I worried that people would want checkpoints.

I never needed them because I use unlimited undo, but I'll add some right now for the hardcore players.

10-26-2014 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (+2)  
Ok I started playing this and I really like it so far (completed first and second level) but there are some issues: first of all, some rooms are IMO pretty trivial and they are accesible only after clearing a way harder room; there are also some US, here's specific comments:

First level:
Click here to view the secret text

Second level:

Overall I like these tiny rooms (but even though I use UU they need checkpoints) but most of these are kinda trivial. That said, this could be a very good hold for beginners but as I said earlier there are hard rooms before easy ones.
I'll try to find time to keep playing, good work!

10-26-2014 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
The hard before easy is intended. I laid it out that way so it gives you time to "cool down" afterward so you don't give up from the difficulty. I'll edit the scroll in Second Level: 1N2W. In 3W, I used Halph for a kind of "defend the base" puzzle, wherein the room resets if a guard kills him. I also edited 2E so you have to kill two snakes instead of just one. Finally, I'll edit 2N1E to take away the sword.

[Last edited by azb at 10-26-2014 11:18 AM]
10-26-2014 at 11:08 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (+2)  
The problem is that the hard rooms are often too hard by comparison to the rest, so the player is liable to give up from the difficulty, if they are of the standard most of the hold is aimed at. Also, several rooms have the problem of being really hard at the beginning because you are fighting a lot of monsters in cramped space, but after killing the first wave of enemies, the rest of the room is really easy because you have a lot of space now, which makes it a little tedious to finish.

Take, for instance, Level 4 -- I've just played through all this level in the editor. Most rooms are really fun, and I like the way you've exploited the variety coming from the different weapons. The only problems with this level (other than lack of checkpoints): 1N2W and 2N2W both have the problem of starting hard and then getting easy, and the first wave in 2N2W is far harder than anything on the level.

I've also played Levels 8, 9 and 10, so I'll comment on these.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-26-2014 04:31 PM]
10-26-2014 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
icon Re: King Azb's Dungeon (+1)  
This hold isn't really aimed at beginners... it's relatively easy, but aimed at more seasoned players with a difficulty of about 4 overall, especially with the Level 2 manipulation puzzles.

The design in Level 9 1N1W with multiple mirrors was to spice up the difficulty so it wouldn't be dull and trivial.

I'm going to cancel out the lighting in level 8, since it's a little obstructive as you said.

Also fixing Level 9 1E so that activated the eyes in section 1 allows a US, and adding conquer tokens in Level 10 to make the rooms required and scorable.

[Last edited by azb at 10-26-2014 04:51 PM]
10-26-2014 at 04:43 PM
azb
I made an error in the speech script in Level 10: 7N, the last room. I'm going to fix it.

10-26-2014 at 06:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : King Azb's Dungeon (First shot at a real hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com