Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest Italian Localization & OSX/Linux version
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lehti
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Heroine's Quest Italian Localization & OSX/Linux version (0)  
Cheers everybody!
I just saw on an Italian forum that Heroine's Quest won the award for the Best AGS Game of 2013 and I wanted to congratulate Crystal Shard for this achievement (yes, I know I'm a bit late).
I was wondering if you were okay if I localized it into Italian. I am a translator active in the field of videogame localization, so you can count the resulting work will be top notch.
I've seen that, so far, the game is available for Windows only, but on its website it is stated that the OSX and Linux versions were going to be released at the beginning of 2014. It's midyear and there's still no sign of them.
I'm asking this because i use a Mac as my primary computing device, and I'd have to borrow a computer from my sister if I want to test the localization.
Cheers
06-21-2014 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Heroine's Quest Italian Localization & OSX/Linux version (0)  
I'm afraid the Linux and Mac versions got delayed. Specifically, the guy who was going to do them for us ran into some IRL issues that left him with no time for this. We're currently looking into other options, but we will do our best to get the ports available as soon as feasible. Note that it is possible to run HQ in VirtualPC.

Regarding translations, thank you for your offer and your help is welcome. Please pass me your e-mail address so we can discuss this.

06-21-2014 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lehti
I just messaged you. ;)
06-22-2014 at 04:40 AM
maxsachs
Hi!!
Any news about the translation in Italian....:D
Please :fun

Thanks

[Last edited by maxsachs at 09-27-2014 01:28 PM]
09-27-2014 at 01:27 PM
shmerl
Radiant wrote:
I'm afraid the Linux and Mac versions got delayed. Specifically, the guy who was going to do them for us ran into some IRL issues that left him with no time for this. We're currently looking into other options, but we will do our best to get the ports available as soon as feasible. Note that it is possible to run HQ in VirtualPC.

Hi!

I'm new to the game and have just discovered it after trying to run the GOG release of the Quest for Infamy on Linux (it was segfaulting for me). I built AGS from source with patching the problem that caused the segfault. And then someone suggested for me to try the Heroine's Quest too. So I used the same AGS I just built for Linux before and it run the Windows release of the Heroine's Quest just fine! It required only one small addition of the stub to fake the Steam integration (search for agsteamstub on Github). I'm not using Steam anyway.

I was able to start the game (I didn't progress far, so I can't tell how well it works overall), it seems to be possible at least. So why didn't you release it yet, or it requires some extensive testing for you to make an official release? I can report the results when I'll finish the game. Let me know if you need any help with building the game for Linux.

Also, I hope you'll make a version without Steam integration for those who don't use Steam. Then you can release your game for example on GOG. Using that stub at least helps as a workaround.

[Last edited by shmerl at 10-15-2014 04:28 AM]
10-15-2014 at 04:21 AM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Thanks for the heads up. I believe we intend to work on Mac & Linux versions of Heroine's Quest before the end of the year, but Radiant can shed more light on this when he is available (I don't see why we can't release a Linux version earlier either :))

The game is available as a standalone (without Steam) from IndieDB or Desura. GOG will not take Heroine's Quest as it is freeware.

[Last edited by Fizzii at 10-17-2014 10:44 PM]
10-17-2014 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
shmerl
Fizzii wrote:
I don't see why we can't release a Linux version earlier either :)
Thanks!

Fizzii wrote:
The game is available as a standalone (without Steam) from IndieDB or Desura. GOG will not take Heroine's Quest as it is freeware.
Actually GOG offers some good free (even free software) adventure games. For example Flight of the Amazon Queen and Beneath A Steel Sky. Warsow also is a free game there. So I don't think they have an aversion to freeware games. Did you try contacting them about it? I think The Heroine's Quest is a very good game so it should pass their acceptance bar.

If you want I can ask some of their admins what they think about it.
10-19-2014 at 06:13 AM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Actually GOG offers some good free (even free software) adventure games. For example Flight of the Amazon Queen and Beneath A Steel Sky. Warsow also is a free game there. So I don't think they have an aversion to freeware games. Did you try contacting them about it? I think The Heroine's Quest is a very good game so it should pass their acceptance bar.

Yes, I approached them once prior to release, and they said it looks very good but aren't looking to publish more freeware games (I believe the ones which they have published are considered classics back from many years ago). Screen7 also asked for them to consider making HQ available from their site, after it was approved on Steam, but we also got a no then.
10-19-2014 at 06:49 AM
shmerl
Fizzii wrote:
Yes, I approached them once prior to release, and they said it looks very good but aren't looking to publish more freeware games (I believe the ones which they have published are considered classics back from many years ago). Screen7 also asked for them to consider making HQ available from their site, after it was approved on Steam, but we also got a no then.

I see. So that must be their freeware policy. Quite sad if that's so.
10-19-2014 at 07:32 AM
otto-von-goon
Hi-- any news wrt the linux version? Is there any specific help you could use?
01-22-2015 at 11:10 PM
Radiant
Well, the game runs in Adventure Game Studio. Basically what we need is a version of the AGS runtime that's compiled for common builds of Linux, and some testing thereof. If you can help with that, it'd be appreciated.

01-23-2015 at 08:36 PM
otto-von-goon

File: linux-binaries.zip (1.8 MB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Other
Hi,

32 bit and 64 bit Linux versions attached. Note that this requires the steam libraries, for which there doesn't seem to be a 64 bit linux version available, so I created a small stub library to satisfy the dynamic linker's dependencies (all functions return 0). I tested that until before Svartalfheim, then did a quick run through Svartalfheim on 32 bit, so I'm reasonably confident that it works.
01-26-2015 at 08:00 AM
otto-von-goon

File: ags-i386-gnu-linux.tar.gz (3.3 MB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Other
From: Debian/sid system libraries (LGPL, X/MIT), Allegro, AGS
Hi again,

forgot to mention a few things about this:

- Performed testing only on debian sid/amd64.
- These binaries will most likely work on all recent Linux distributions, though I haven't tested.
- I did not include libraries in the previous package. I've attached a version with all dynamic libraries that you will need EXCEPT for the core system libraries. Theoretically, adding all included files (minus perhaps the README) to the HQ root should allow generating a working Steam package, though I have no idea how I'd test that.
- README file included to note which Debian/Ubuntu packages you'll have to have installed for the core system libraries (if you're on 32 bit, you should be good to go without extra installations, obviously, but on 64 bit machines you'll need them as compatibility libraries. Then again, if you run steam or have been running commercial games, you probably have them already.)
- The 64 bit version (from the last post) will NOT support Steam achievements, because it won't connect to Steam. For steaming, you want the 32 bit version. (The version attached to this post is the 32 bit version.)
- Would be really nice to build a `deb' of this. Maybe next week.

01-26-2015 at 09:55 AM
Radiant
Very nice, thank you! I'll look more thoroughly over the weekend.

01-30-2015 at 04:25 PM
raxyx
Awesome, thank you!

I'm on Debian testing/jessie/64bit, and have been playing via crossover (a wine variant) so far.

I'm trying to get this to work, I chose the 32bit variant, and I had to do two things:

First, I had to install the allegro and vorbis libraries, that's what AGS uses for music and sound, on debian testing the packages are:
liballeggl4.4 liballeggl4-dev liballeggl4.4:i386 libaldmb1 libaldmb1:i386 libvorbis-dev:i386 libvorbisfile3:i386

Second, for some reason I don't understand yet, the binary doesn't recognize that the libsteam*.so files are in the same directory, so I had to explicitly tell the program where they are, I used something likes this:
export LD_PRELOAD=/complete/path/to/the/included/libsteam_api.so

Then run ags with
./ags-i386 /path/to/hq.exe

Does anyone know why it doesn't look for the files in the same directory, and how to change that behavior? The LD_PRELOAD workaround let's me run the game, but still, it's kinda weird.

I played for a few minutes and the game itself seems to work fine so far, but I still get some errors regarding steam on the console, in particular:
dlopen failed trying to load:
/media/games/Steam-Linux/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so with error:
libtier0_s.so: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; Sys_LoadModule failed to load: /media/games/Steam-Linux/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.
AGS: Loading room 1
dlopen failed trying to load:
/media/games/Steam-Linux/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so with error:
libtier0_s.so: Kann die Shared-Object-Datei nicht öffnen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; Sys_LoadModule failed to load: /media/games/Steam-Linux/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.

Which I assume means the system doesn't find some of the necessary steam libraries and can't communicate with steam (yes of course steam is installed and the steam steam client is running). However, when I tried adding the steam directory into the ldconfig system, which Google tells me is how the system should find its other libraries, it only made things worse, it now complained about a missing libudev.so.0 (which doesn't seem to be in Debian testing anymore, as there's only a newer libudev.so.1)

So playing the game works, but I guess Steam things like achievements, high scores and so on might not, and I don't know what will happen when the game tries to use one of the steam functions. Maybe I'll keep looking into this further, but I don't know yet when I'll have time.

01-31-2015 at 09:54 PM
otto-von-goon
Hi,

thanks for testing! I included the 32 bit libraries you mentioned in the other image, but you may indeed have to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH suitably to start up without external libraries (ldd claimed that the dependencies were resolved locally, so I didn't question further).

I'm a bit surprised by the Steam issues. I assume that you have Steam installed? Have you installed any Linux Steam games? The runtime seemed to find my steamclient.so (which, to my understanding, Steam installed in my home, as ~/.steam/linux32/steamclient.so and ~/.local/share/Steam/linux32/steamclient.so (and another couple of file names), but those might have been installed when I downloaded other Linux Steam games.

Note that I don't have Steam achievements either, but I'm not sure if that's possible without setting up some sort of Steam package Steam (which presumably requires some sort of additional configuration). It's likely that the remaining configuration bits have to be resolved in that fashion; I'm not sure if it's worth for me to look into this, seeing how I couldn't test/upload such a package to Steam even if I knew how to do it.

I may look into packaging this for Debian (without Steam), though, because that I won't need further permissions for. ;-)

02-01-2015 at 05:19 PM
Radiant
Ok, following the steps here. I think it would be nice to write this in a shellscript...

tar xvzf ags-i386-gnu-linux.tar.gz
sudo apt-get install liballegl4.4
sudo apt-get -f install
y
y

...and then I get a 404 error.

Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libr/libreoffice/libreoffice-core_3.6.2~rc2-0ubuntu4_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

However, sudo apt-get update gives me more 404 errors. I suppose I'm doing something wrong here?

02-04-2015 at 08:09 PM
Radiant
otto-von-goon wrote: I may look into packaging this for Debian (without Steam), though, because that I won't need further permissions for. ;-)

If you can make a package that would be awesome. In fact, to avoid the Steam issue (for now) it may be easier to do that with another game? If I understand how that works I'm pretty sure I can upload it to Steam officially.

For example, Errand ( http://fireflowergames.com/shop/errand/ ) uses the same AGS binaries, but is a lot smaller making it easier to test, and doesn't rely on Steam.

02-04-2015 at 08:11 PM
otto-von-goon
Radiant,
Radiant wrote:
If you can make a package that would be awesome. In fact, to avoid the Steam issue (for now) it may be easier to do that with another game?
That makes good sense. I will not get around to it this weekend, I'm afraid, but I'll see if I can make time next weekend. (It's been a while since I did packaging work, so I anticipate that I'll need to read up on a bunch of things during the process.)

As for your 404 issue earlier: that can probably be fixed by just running `apt-get update'-- it sounds as if your package archive is stale.

02-08-2015 at 02:05 PM
Radiant
I'm afraid apt-get update didn't work for me. Regardless, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for packaging. Thanks!

02-18-2015 at 12:09 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest Italian Localization & OSX/Linux version
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com