Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Some small criticism (for an otherwise amazing game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beacon80
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Some small criticism (0)  
I just finished my first playthrough, and I love this game. I think I might like it more than any of the original series, even Shadows of Darkness!

There are two small points of criticism I'd like to make, in the hopes that they might help make your next game even better than this one.
(Note: I was playing 1.1, so if any of these have been addressed already, my apologies)
1) I found it a little frustrating that I could never inquire about missing people (Kraka, Alviss, and to a much lesser extent, the cat). I get a request to find them, but I couldn't ask where they were last seen, or anything like that. I was able to find them, but it felt a little more like luck than puzzle solving.
2) The solutions for Skrymr's first two challenges seem a little unintuitive. I accidentally stumbled on to the first one, and while I did figure out the second one, I'm not entirely sure why it worked.
04-03-2014 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
a cartoon duck
icon Re: Some small criticism (0)  
I dunno, the game is usually pretty good about providing hints to everything, even if the hints are pretty oblige at worst.

Kraka I just found because I wanted to chat with Snorri about something and just visited him at his work place. As for Alviss,

Click here to view the secret text

Similarly, for Skrymir's challenges,

Click here to view the secret text

There's been a couple puzzles that I couldn't figure out for the life of me and looked the solution up, but I can't remember which ones at the top of my head that immediately made sense after looking up. This game is pretty good about providing hints to you if you talk to everyone about everything and look at everything, especially compared to other adventure games that basically train you into using everything on everything else.
04-03-2014 at 05:53 PM
Beacon80
icon Re: Some small criticism (0)  
Yeah, I'm on my second playthrough, and I'm noticing a lot of hints I somehow missed my first time through. I wonder if I'm too used to playing through the QfG games, where I sadly already know all the tricks, or maybe I was just too tired when I first spoke with people. I think Heroine's Quest is a little more subtle with some of the hints you get from talking to people, too, for that matter.
I revoke both of my complaints.
04-17-2014 at 05:01 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Some small criticism (for an otherwise amazing game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com